U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM

8,335 posts, read 9,794,366 times

Advertisements

These Barney Fife's are out of control! Look, I'm not a fan of Fox news, but this little story made my blood boil. I have to deal with those TSA clowns several days each week and I swear to God they are on power trips and willfully and knowingly step over their job limits. I applaud this passenger for standing up for himself and not letting those asshats push him around (well, more than they did anyway). They'll get the DEA?

YouTube - Man detained and harassed at airport for carrying CASH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,866,938 times
I agree. The TSA seems to be a bunch of poorly educated, highly disenfranchised folk who see to it their small level of influence is demonstrated to the professional commuting masses. I feel for the many business travelers who are hassled by these bums when in a hurry, or worse yet for attractive women who get extended searches while the smoove TSA guy makes chit-chat...of course when they are not chatting with each other. This 'security' decision is one of the worst our govt has put in place.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,050,806 times
That is positively absolutely ridiculous.
I thought the rule of disclosure was OVER $10K in currency entering or leaving our national borders, not between states, has that changed?

What the heck am I going to do with my two tractor trailer loads of cash? (kidding)

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave?
Pfft.

Last edited by mullman; 04-08-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 05:20 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,419,782 times
TSA is out of control especially at LAX. Those idiots took away a 73 yr old womans wisconsin cheese. It wont be long now before those morons do a full nude strip & cavity search. Airlines in general are greedy rat bastards. I havent flown in years & if i ever need to ill stay out of LAX.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
These arrogant, power-hungry TSA guards never stop to realize, that without 9/11, they might be all sleeping in the streets/panhandling.

They don't stop to think that one unpleasant encounter with them might very well lessen their job security, as people will either fly less or look at other options. Any number of these people have never had the luxury of having power over other people's lives, and it's easy for that to go to their heads.

The day may very well come when 1/3 of the global population will be serving as security guards to serve the other 2/3.

On my last trip, I flew to a major city, and took Greyhound between my choice of cities and loved it, for a welcome change, except at the Houston Bus Depot, where I had to go through a similar security checkpoint similar to an Airport. So are Bus Depots next in line for this harrassment? And train stations?

Last edited by tijlover; 01-06-2010 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,327,070 times
The TSA have exceeded their authority in this case. However, there are almost always police officers at airport security checkpoints, so, the TSA should have called a police officer and not threatened to put the man in handcuffs and take him to a police station. The police can legitimately ask the question as to why an individual has a large quantity of cash as that could indicate that a crime could have been committed.

He was absolutely right to refuse to answer TSA questions. He should have asked them to call a police officer.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,419,782 times
Some people do carry large amounts of cash on airlines. Why they do ill never understand.Its not too safe & it does draw suspicion. Nonetheless the tsa over stepped themselves. I have heard about the bus depots being next for security check points & i wont be surprised if we have vehicle check points on various locations throughout america. Now you need a damn passport to get into canada & mexico. Passports can be forged just like drivers licenses. I dont have a passport & a few hundred to spare to get one. Some yrs back passports were cheap but then the govt got greedy & doubled the fee not too long ago. Im surprised they dont make it mandatory to have a passport or international id. I can honestly see why many people (american citizens) are anti govt.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,651,876 times
A super duper new telephone that turns into a tape recorder when you pat it through clothing? And refusing to answer a simple question like what you do for a living (I get asked that every single time I go through immigration in the US or UK)? Am I the only one who thinks this was a set up to make the TSA look bad? I'm not saying the TSA is faultless but I'm highly suspicious that this guy purposely drew attention to himself and purposely refused to answer simple questions with the intent of recording the encounter and making the TSA look bad. Sorry but anyone who has a phone that starts recording with a simple pat has that technology for a REASON.

I did take into consideration that if the guy was a journalist, he may have that kind of technology for other reasons but it sounds like he's a campaign manager? So I don't see why he would happen to have that kind of technology, much less have it active at the time (and in fact, given that he is a campaign manager, I imagine he has a political agenda that might benefit from this recorded encounter). I can only imagine this technology would have to be switched on in order to react to and start recording from a pat, otherwise it would probably start recording all the time by accident and that would be annoying. Even if something like the iPhone had an app that started recording with a simple shake (which might work with a pat too but I'm still doubtful), the app would have to be open and the phone not in sleep mode (which it has to go into or the battery drains like crazy).

Again, the TSA may have stepped over the line but it sounds a lot like they were provoked into it. I just can't find any logical way to believe that this recording happened 100% by accident and even the owner wasn't aware it was recording. Sorry but normal phones don't just go "oops! I'm recording!" And if the owner admits he knew it was recording and/or purposely recorded it, doesn't it make anyone even slightly suspicious that these TSA officers were provoked into this?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,740,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Airlines in general are greedy rat bastards.

Mesa Air, which presently runs 130 aircraft, reported third quarter net loss of $2.72 million or $0.02 per share, compared to a loss of $3.76 million or ...

Jan 22, 2009 ... American and United Post Losses for Quarter ... United Airlines Faces Losses On Its Contracts for Jet Fuel (September 18, 2008) ...

Apr 22, 2009 ... Continental Airlines posts a first-quarter loss, but tops expectations. Posted Apr 22nd 2009 10:30AM by Mark Fightmaster ·

Delta Air Lines Narrows Loss to $257 Million
Sign in to Recommend
Twitter
Sign In to E-Mail
Print

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 22, 2009
Delta Air Lines on Wednesday reported a double-digit drop in unit revenue during the second quarter as demand for air travel continued to slump.

How does losing billions of dollars, and being in survival mode translate into being greedy rat bastards?

When did we become an entitlement society that expects everything for free?

How many people think that they are underpaid, but other people make too much money?

We really need to take a good look at our society, and change the way of thinking that we need to get everything for as cheap as we can.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM

11,929 posts, read 21,513,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
A super duper new telephone that turns into a tape recorder when you pat it through clothing?
No I think it was an iPhone...

Quote:
And refusing to answer a simple question like what you do for a living (I get asked that every single time I go through immigration in the US or UK)? Am I the only one who thinks this was a set up to make the TSA look bad?
Yes.

You must understand that coming into our country thru customs is different than traveling around inside it. The way our constitution is set up prevents authorities from asking personal questions like this.

Quote:
I'm not saying the TSA is faultless but I'm highly suspicious that this guy purposely drew attention to himself and purposely refused to answer simple questions with the intent of recording the encounter and making the TSA look bad. Sorry but anyone who has a phone that starts recording with a simple pat has that technology for a REASON.
It didn't start out that way but he certainly did it to prove a point. He was at a fundraising event for the "Campaign for Liberty" candidate Ron Paul.

Quote:
So I don't see why he would happen to have that kind of technology, much less have it active at the time (and in fact, given that he is a campaign manager, I imagine he has a political agenda that might benefit from this recorded encounter).
Again it's an iPhone. You can buy one off ebay or from your local AT&T store if you want to...

Of course he had a political agenda. It was an agenda that was pro-liberty and pro-constitutionalist. If anything, he was proving the point that the government is getting out of control.

Quote:
I can only imagine this technology would have to be switched on in order to react to and start recording from a pat, otherwise it would probably start recording all the time by accident and that would be annoying. Even if something like the iPhone had an app that started recording with a simple shake (which might work with a pat too but I'm still doubtful), the app would have to be open and the phone not in sleep mode (which it has to go into or the battery drains like crazy).
It was an iPhone...

Quote:
Again, the TSA may have stepped over the line but it sounds a lot like they were provoked into it. I just can't find any logical way to believe that this recording happened 100% by accident and even the owner wasn't aware it was recording. Sorry but normal phones don't just go "oops! I'm recording!" And if the owner admits he knew it was recording and/or purposely recorded it, doesn't it make anyone even slightly suspicious that these TSA officers were provoked into this?
I don't believe it was ever stated the recording was done by mistake. It was done on purpose to prove a point - that the TSA are out hand and should be forced to follow the letter of the law. They must know what they can and can not ask and of all people should know if they can even ask certain questions! This is about challenging a government that has gotten every bigger and more invasive year after year.

As NH's slogan goes, live free or die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or