Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times

Advertisements

So from Florida, there are a few airlines that offer pretty low fares to travel to the virgin islands, the bahamas, and jamaica.

Which island and/or what area of the island is the best to find affordable, safe lodging? Not looking for a massive party spot..maybe just a couple bars or clubs and mainly just exploring & chillin out on a beautiful beach on the cheap cheap.

And how much to expect to do some beach activities..canoe/kayak, seadoo, snorkle, etc? Is it fairly affordable or do they upcharge out the butthole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
My favorite is probably St Thomas. I had visited several times on cruises (just for the day) but I liked it enough to go back for a week. I was a single mother at the time with an 18 and 12 year old and felt VERY safe. I only had one incident where I needed a cab from downtown at night and the guy was a little obnoxious, but another cabbie immediately stepped in and guided me to another cab and I was happy with the situation.

Safety was my main concern (we were kind of splurging on that trip) and that was one reason I picked the island too. Overall St Thomas is a large island and can accomodate any type of budget. I have never liked Jamaica - I have never felt safe there and everything involved haggling. The Jamaicans can be very pushy - to the point of being uncomfortable. However, if you stay on a resort in Jamaica, it is usually a much nicer experience.

The Bahama's are OK, and probably the cheapest to get to.

The biggest expense in the islands is probably the food. Meals are more expensive than we are used to, so keep that in mind when budgeting.

I would probably even suggest a cruise - that way you can see several islands and the trip is all inclusive (well mostly) so you know up front what you will pay.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
I agree with PrettyMissAshley.

I've been to the three islands you are looking at and if you plan on staying on one, I'd choose The Virgin Islands. However, if you prefer to stay at one resort, say all inclusive, that would be Jamaica. I don't care for the Bahamas very much.

Why not take a cruise through the Southern Caribbean? We did a 10 day one years ago and loved it. In fact, we traveled back to some of the islands that we loved for other vacations. Cruising is a great option when you can't decide what island you want to visit.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I agree with PrettyMissAshley.

I've been to the three islands you are looking at and if you plan on staying on one, I'd choose The Virgin Islands. However, if you prefer to stay at one resort, say all inclusive, that would be Jamaica. I don't care for the Bahamas very much.

Why not take a cruise through the Southern Caribbean? We did a 10 day one years ago and loved it. In fact, we traveled back to some of the islands that we loved for other vacations. Cruising is a great option when you can't decide what island you want to visit.

Small ship. Lots of strangers. HUHUUUUGE ocean. All of the above kind of scare me just a little bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel