U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:20 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,123,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Stonehenge.
For a lot of people, it's just a pile of rocks. But for me it was evocative and magical.
Ditto...especially as seen from the approaching road. The illusion of incredible height is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 PM

12,276 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Ditto...especially as seen from the approaching road. The illusion of incredible height is amazing!
Re Stonehenge. No, I couldn't get over the traffic whizzing by on both sides and the fence a few feet from the stonehenge. It's not because I didn't see the historical and mystical value, it was just the setting. If it were out in the middle of nowhere in a natural setting it would be more appreciated.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,129,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I think the view from the Eiffel Tower in Paris and from the Empire State Building in New York City. First I did not know if its worth to wait and pay for, but both views and buildings are amazing.
Ditto the Eiffel Tower!

Also Vegas... as someone else mentioned. I'm not a gambler or a drinker or even a clubber, bar-hopper or partier - but I still had an amazing time in Vegas - WITH my elementary school aged kids even! My kids tell me all the time that they want to go back! I do, too!!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 PM

14,248 posts, read 14,137,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Re Stonehenge. No, I couldn't get over the traffic whizzing by on both sides and the fence a few feet from the stonehenge. It's not because I didn't see the historical and mystical value, it was just the setting. If it were out in the middle of nowhere in a natural setting it would be more appreciated.
Poor Stonehenge is so sad compared to how it was.

I grew up round there and although I've lived abroad, am not too far from there now.

I used to picnic among the stones before there was any wire round the circle and it wasn't crowded, and with no visitor centre.

That's progress for you.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Poor Stonehenge is so sad compared to how it was.

I grew up round there and although I've lived abroad, am not too far from there now.

I used to picnic among the stones before there was any wire round the circle and it wasn't crowded, and with no visitor centre.
Yes, I first visited it in the early 70's before the fence and the visitor center.
We hitchhiked there.
I've been there twice since, and agree that now with the traffic and the fence the setting is not quite the same.
But all it takes is a bit of imagination. Of course, there is Avebury, which has much to offer as well.
I guess you just have to get into the historical aspect. Visiting the Forum or the Colisseum in Rome, you can hear all sorts of urban noises, and see those fake gladiator guys, but this did not diminish my enjoyment of those ancient sites.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM

755 posts, read 2,033,256 times
Yeah I would also say Vegas is a fun spot. I can give you an opposite, I went to Cozumel and I expected it to be great and I hated it and will not go back. Major let down to me.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,804,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
Yeah I would also say Vegas is a fun spot. I can give you an opposite, I went to Cozumel and I expected it to be great and I hated it and will not go back. Major let down to me.

Cozumel is on the small side - I have heard that Cancun is a better vacation spot.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:38 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,129,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Cozumel is on the small side - I have heard that Cancun is a better vacation spot.
Try Cabo San Lucas!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,753,214 times
Cambodia..

Amazing food, people and culture. By Western standards they are poor - but i have never seen so many smiling happy faces! Angkor Wat and the surrounding ancient cities of the Khmer empire are extraordinary for those interested in civilization and history. There is nothing like flying through the streets of Phnom Penh on a moto like everyone else...

Old 04-18-2009, 02:16 AM

957 posts, read 911,348 times
Hawaii, which I thought would be overly touristy but is indeed mostly a natural paradise.

Yosemite takes the cake however. I love national parks but thought the crowds would make it unworthy. Turns out you just gotta be the early bird, and it's more spectacular than any pic can show. I went three years in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or