U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 168,706 times

Advertisements

I like to take mini vacations and enjoy going to different festivals/events cities and small towns have.
This helps two fold....I can choose to be in the town with the event or stay away that week
What's yours and why?
I wonder if there is a way to list by month/location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 AM

515 posts, read 1,173,880 times
I've always wanted to go to the Coachella Festival.

And the Cannes film festival.

And Sundance!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Festival Acadiens in Lafayette, LA

[SIZE=4]Festivals Acadiens [/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=4]et Créoles
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]October 9-11, 2009
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Girard Park & Downtown
Lafayette, Louisiana

[/SIZE] [/SIZE] [CENTER][SIZE=1]Celebrate the rhythm of Cajun and Creole life at Festivals Acadiens et Créoles in Lafayette, the heart of French Louisiana. Dance to a traditional waltz. Two-step to the upbeat rhythms of accordions, fiddles and ti fers (triangles). Step back in time as traditional crafters demonstrate their artistry. Festivals Acadiens et Créoles pays tribute to the Cajun and Creole cultures with a combination of FREE festivals. Held the second weekend in October!
[/SIZE][/CENTER]

LCVC- Lafayette Convention and Visitors Commission - Visitors

Old 04-10-2009, 02:49 PM

13,820 posts, read 18,787,294 times
okay I think mine would have to be the renasance festival in st petersburg or tampa . My friends and I would get dressed up and go and have the best time and people think it is so much fun . definately the renasance festival .

Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,873,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Festival Acadiens in Lafayette, LA

[SIZE=4]Festivals Acadiens [/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=4]et Créoles
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]October 9-11, 2009
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Girard Park & Downtown
Lafayette, Louisiana

[/SIZE] [/SIZE] [CENTER][SIZE=1]Celebrate the rhythm of Cajun and Creole life at Festivals Acadiens et Créoles in Lafayette, the heart of French Louisiana. Dance to a traditional waltz. Two-step to the upbeat rhythms of accordions, fiddles and ti fers (triangles). Step back in time as traditional crafters demonstrate their artistry. Festivals Acadiens et Créoles pays tribute to the Cajun and Creole cultures with a combination of FREE festivals. Held the second weekend in October!
[/SIZE][/CENTER]

LCVC- Lafayette Convention and Visitors Commission - Visitors
I have enjoyed my time at this festival. Also the crawfish fest in 'nearby' Breaux bridge is also fun

Old 04-11-2009, 05:19 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
I'm a sucker for all that Renaissance stuff.
Here where I live, we have the Shrimp Festival every year.
But my favorite is music. I'm probably too old, but Coachella or Bonnaroo sounds great.

I really enjoyed seeing the Red Hot Chile Peppers, the Meters, and others at the VooDoo Experience (http://thevoodooexperience.com/2009/ - broken link) in New Orleans.

There is the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Colorado. And South By Southwest in Austin.

One of my favorite experiences ever was June 21st, National Music Day (Fête de la musique) in France. On this date, all over the country, music is celebrated, and free street concerts take place in just about every town or village. It was so cool to participate in this event.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 AM

8,913 posts, read 13,658,638 times
When I lived in PA, I always enjoyed the State College Arts Festival (and the People's Choice Festival).
Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State College, PA near Penn State
People's Choice Festival of Pennsylvania Arts*&*Crafts

I can't wait to see the Edinburgh Festivals in August - mainly going for the Fringe Festival but we'll check out others if we have time.
Edinburgh Festival - The Official Edinburgh Festivals Listings, Review & Guide - Edinburgh Festival Guide

Old 04-12-2009, 08:01 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,867 times
The Maple Leaf Festival in Carthage,MO (SW corner of the state) is the biggest in the 4-State area. It lasts a week and starts the 2nd Saturday in October. When the weather cooperates, the many maple trees in town are just GORGEOUS. The highlight is the big parade, which is the 3rd Saturday. It lasts 2 hours and goes through the historic district with its Victorian homes and around the square with its beautiful courthouse. Afterward, the bands compete in a field marching competition. We have several Bed and Breakfasts in town, a winery, pancake feeds, Queen contest, car show, crafts and much much more. Our town of 13,000 will swell to 30,000 the day of the parade.
Here is last year's schedule of events:
Maple Leaf Festival packed with events - Carthage, MO - Carthage Press (http://www.carthagepress.com/homepage/x289108271/Maple-Leaf-Festival-packed-with-events - broken link)

Come join us for some good old-fashioned hometown fun!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM

16,526 posts, read 20,972,483 times
Blue Willow Plate beat me to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. It is a great, great event. But so is the Telluride Jazz Festival. Held in August, for the first time they have moved it to late June.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 AM

1,041 posts, read 4,035,268 times
This weekend is the Merrie Monarch festival in the Big Island of Hawaii. It is an annual hula festival with some of the best dancers in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel