U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,584 times

Advertisements

We will be in the LA area (staying in Van Nuys) for 3 days at the end of the month.
Never been to Southern California before...

What should I NOT miss??

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 AM

5,697 posts, read 8,604,752 times
some suggestions... Universal Studios/Citiwalk, Hollywood Blvd@Vine for a good view of the Hollywood sign and the ave of the stars, Santa Monica Third St. Promenade, Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, Griffith Park and Observatory, La Brea Tar Pits (the adjacent museum is awesome!), Getty center, ride to downtown LA (catch the Metro from Universal Studios directly to Union Station) you can walk to Olvera St., Garment, Flower, Jewellery district, Little Tokyo etc. from there - there is a walking tour guide (flyer) of downtown LA that is available at Union Station info booth. A nice museum in the Little Tokyo section of downtown LA is the Japanese American Museum if you're interested in that stuff.

You may not be able to do all in 3 days but can choose the sites that interest you.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,291,138 times
^^^
Great suggestions and that is more than enough things to do in just three days. If you like movies, there are other studios you can visit (besides Universal's which I think is the easiest for a tourist) like Warner Brothers, Paramount, etc...

If you like nightlife then there is a lot along Sunset Blvd. as well and the Getty Center in the Brentwood neighborhood of L.A. is amazing as well.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 26,138 times
Van Nuys Los Angeles
15711 Roscoe Boulevard
Los Angeles

http://compare-rate.my-discount-hotels.com/hotelimages/15372672.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 PM

17,407 posts, read 21,249,654 times
For me, the greatest amusement park, is renting a car and traversing the steep hills of Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,142,150 times
My favorite thing to do in L.A. is to rent a convertible and drive up the coast to Malibu viewing the most beautiful ocean scenes I have ever seen. I am not a big amusement park guy but I do like Universal and the CityWalk area.
Visit the Farmers Market with its unique vendors, market and unique places to dine. Melrose Avenue has some weird shops that I love. Enjoy the California weather and the laid back people. I love L.A.!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,291,138 times
If you have time (which you don't have a lot), you might consider a visit to Pasadena. It has a nice walkable downtown/old town area and you can explore the beautiful neighborhoods of craftsman style homes. Plus it has several Gold Line light rail stations for getting to via public transportation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel