Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,286,595 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts. I had my heart set on Corfu for sentimental reasons, but I've done Greece a zillion times over 27 years. However those darn ads on CNN by the Croatian tourist folks has started to entice me. Anyone been? experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:02 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
We were there in '06. The Dalmatian coast.
We flew into Dubrovnik, did a day trip to Montenegro.
Our favorite place was the island of Hvar, the fields of lavender in early July were just incredible. Bring lots of kuna, though. It's not all that cheap.
Dubrovnik

Hvar

Montenegro

Old 07-16-2008, 06:05 PM

905 posts, read 3,440,834 times
I was there in summer of '06 and loved it!!! Wonderful country, friendly and helpful people. The food was great. Overall I did not find it to be cheap but inexpensive.

I visited Zagreb, Plitsvice Lakes(beautiful!!!), Zadar, Hvar, Split and Dubrovnik. Was there for 3 weeks. I would highly recommend it.

My neighbors just took a European cruise and visited Dubrovnik and loved it as well.

Go For It!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 9,569 times
Croatia is the perfect place if you love to dive ship wrecks, there are several sunken ships from WW2 which can be reached within a very short time by boat.
It's is very tidy and neat, food is cheap and all others rate normal.
I can highly recommend Croatia for holidays

Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,286,595 times
Thanks everyone. I think Croatia might win out this time....so many places to see so little time

Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 PM

351 posts, read 1,868,713 times
You've chosen well. I lived in Zagreb for 2 years, and spent as many weekends as I could on the coast. The Croatian touristm department isn't lying when they promote the coast. You might want to rent a car and plan to move up and down the coast, and to hit the islands. It gets kind of boring in any one place, and the variety of travel is amazing. You'll have a great time! (Check out Villa Dubrovnik when you get there. It's amazing, right on the water. There used to be someone who had videos he took from the bombing of Dubrovnik during the war: pretty amazing stuff).

Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,884 times
We were last year on Island Hvar in small village called Zavala and it was the vacation we needed for filling our batteries...It is really peacefull, beuatiful envoirment and crystal clear see. Great food, wine and friendly people

Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,884 times
Hvar is considered to be one of the 10 most beautiful islands in the world.

Here if someone is intrested you can see some accommodations

Zavala Holiday

Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 AM

228 posts, read 996,112 times
We did a cruise a couple of years ago that included Dubrovnic and loved it!

BlueWillowPlate, I have that same picture of Dubrovnic! Such a beautiful sight from the Walls..I really liked walking the walls, especially meeting some of the people that lived inside. Great people and would love to go back.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 AM

36 posts, read 127,046 times
I visited Croatia back in 84, it was part of Yugoslavia at that time. It's a beautiful country and I found the locals to be really nice and genuinely helpful. It is true the coast is beautiful but my favorite spot without hesitation was away from the coast, Plitvice National Park. It is an absolute gem on Earth, one of the most beautiful spots I've seen in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel