U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 PM

11,922 posts, read 21,508,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

That's a whole different issue - the age of the planes still in use. I was on one Continental flight I swore was going to break in mid air.
"Continental's mainline fleet is the youngest among all network airlines based in the U.S., with an average aircraft age of less than 10 years."

Continental Airlines Increases Its Commitment to the Long-Range, Fuel- Efficient Boeing 787 Dreamliner - Business News - redOrbit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,215,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
"Continental's mainline fleet is the youngest among all network airlines based in the U.S., with an average aircraft age of less than 10 years."

Continental Airlines Increases Its Commitment to the Long-Range, Fuel- Efficient Boeing 787 Dreamliner - Business News - redOrbit

Keyword MAINLINE fleet. This was a rinky-dink two-seat-per-side rickety bucket. Had to be at least 20 years old.

And to the person that said "all airlines use the same size plane!!" either that's bull, or JetBlue is doing something right. Don't give me some trash about "buy first class!!" I don't feel that ample leg room is something you should charge for. Meals? Sure. Movies? Sure. Comfort? no.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 PM

11,922 posts, read 21,508,334 times
Ok but you weren't on Continental then. You said you were on Continental. Was it a prop? Or a jet? How many seats? Since it was a commuter those fly into the smaller airports. You can't seriously expect Airbus or Boeing service out of podunk towns.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 AM

1,851 posts, read 1,878,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
I do not agree with all the nasty name-calling on this thread. I think that's far more disgusting than sitting next to an obese person on an airplane.

Seriously people - that's just regurgitated junior high rhetoric
Isn't that the truth.

For a minute, I thought I had stepped through a worm-hole and landed in the back of my 7th grade elementry school class and was watching the other kids rip into each other.

I can't comprehend where all this hate, venom and contempt comes from.

I guess it's easier (and cowardly) to sit around and rip people apart, when there's no chance of someone physically or verbally confronting you, challenging you and making you accountable for such disgusting behavior.

Certainly we can have a discussion on such a topic without resorting to childish, classless verbal attacks on obese people.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,050,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Excellent, and it's about time!!! I don't want my space and comfort compromised by some ridiculous fat ass sitting next to me. Economy seating is cramped enough already without having your space further being eaten into.
+1

It is a fact that it takes more gas to move more mass.
For decades I have thought it ridiculous that airlines weigh luggage and not passengers.

For full disclosure, I am not the 'thin man' - I need to lose about 20 lbs.
Between the higher ticket cost and being publicly weighed, I might actually decide to do something about it!

Last edited by mullman; 04-17-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 AM

812 posts, read 3,582,796 times
Quote:
Keyword MAINLINE fleet. This was a rinky-dink two-seat-per-side rickety bucket. Had to be at least 20 years old.
Even if it was an old type of plane, that doesn't really matter. Airplane years aren't the same as car years, you should see how they maintain them. People love getting on this "plane looks unsafe" thing. You think the pilots are a bunch of crazies willing to strap themselves into and be responsible for a safe flight in some POS?

Quote:
And to the person that said "all airlines use the same size plane!!" either that's bull, or JetBlue is doing something right. Don't give me some trash about "buy first class!!" I don't feel that ample leg room is something you should charge for. Meals? Sure. Movies? Sure. Comfort? no.
That's not what I said. I said all of these airlines also fly A320's in their fleet among whatever else. I was pointing out that they do fly some of the same things since you charged them of not, and then pointed out United actually uses wider seats than Jetblue does on the A320's.

Actually, even JetBlue flies some "horrid 2x2's", the Embraer E-Jets (so does United). I'm just trying to show you that both airlines operate some of the same equipment, and even Hallowed JetBlue has some smaller planes. Actually, the small, tinny E-Jets are brand new as well, but I bet if you went on one you'd think they were old based on size since that seems to be your grading criteria. Your facts simply aren't straight.

Want more room? Here's a fun little story. It's called "More Room Throughout Coach" and was started by American Airlines earlier this decade. It worked just how you want it. "We're removing a few rows of coach class seats so everyone has more legroom!" Unfortunately, old man reality set in and in the end, they found that no one was really switching over because despite all the complaining, no one truly researches seat pitch before flying. They were stuck either having to jack up the price (making it hard to compete on price in this day of folks buying seats based solely on expedia, travelocity, and other side-by-side comparisons), or simply bag it, and that's what they did. It failed miserably. The airline graveyard is full of start-ups that featured "first-class seating at coach prices," Air One, Legend, McClain, Ultrair....

The industry has seen, and the pocketbooks of customers have voted, and then were reinforced through the aforementioned, that they ARE hitting the sweet spot in terms of room versus price, like it or not.

Last edited by tande1n5; 04-17-2009 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,739,297 times
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

People asked for Greyhound prices, then they complained when they got Greyhound service.

The airlines have addressed all of theses complaints before. At one time there was plenty of leg room. There was spectacular service. You were treated like a king. Big airplanes provided service to the smallest cities. Passengers dressed nice to fly.

What happened? People voted with their wallets. They made it very clear that they were not willing to pay for that level of service.

Well, you get what you pay for. Since you are only willing to pay crap for a ticket, that's what you get in return. Sit down, shut up, and get in the back of the bus. If you make us 2 minutes late, some other idiot will call the Feds to tell on us.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,050,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post

People asked for Greyhound prices, then they complained when they got Greyhound service.

The airlines have addressed all of theses complaints before. At one time there was plenty of leg room. There was spectacular service. You were treated like a king. Big airplanes provided service to the smallest cities. Passengers dressed nice to fly.

What happened? People voted with their wallets. They made it very clear that they were not willing to pay for that level of service.
You are so right.
I remember those days!
And tickets were 2-3x more expensive...
SO, I guess it is the same as buying a first class ticket today.

You can always go first class, you just cannot stay as long

Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,286,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post

Well, you get what you pay for. Since you are only willing to pay crap for a ticket, that's what you get in return. Sit down, shut up, and get in the back of the bus. If you make us 2 minutes late, some other idiot will call the Feds to tell on us.
Totally agree with you. I get annoyed when people feel "entitled" to certain space on an airline and then want it at "the price they think is fair". Remember folks, airlines are private businesses not part of the government and you aren't forced into using them. If you want more space, airlines could make all the planes first class, but guess what...... you'll pay $1,200 to fly from LAX-NYC instead of $250. Then again, this is the generation of entitlement and "its not fair that I got what I paid for."

Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
Well, thank God I am not overweight and don't have a problem. Sure there are some fat people out there who for whatever reason, are fat. I particularly feel for those who have a medical condition (such as a thyroid condition) that causes them to gain weight. Some have serious medical diseases and can't exercise. Some have medical conditions that slow down metabolism. I knew a woman who was very slender until she started taking steroids to combat a serious inflammation of her lungs. This of course caused her to gain weight through no fault of her own. It goes on. I feel for these people.

What I don't like is this continuing crap we're getting from the airlines to cut the level and amount of service. The planes are just flat out too damn small. Services suck. They charge for everything. They charge extra depending on the weight of the bag you check in, extra for food, drinks, extra if you want to see a movie, listen to music using their headphones.

What next? Charging people extra because they don't WEIGH ENOUGH and don't completely fill a seat? Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or