U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 AM

25,668 posts, read 24,294,918 times

Advertisements

I dont spend a lot of time here in the travel forum so really dont know if this topic already has been mentioned.
But last month the news was trying to warn us, and especially parents of kids who planned to spend their spring break in Beautiful Mexico....against going there. Guess theres a lot of stuff going there right now that can hinder people coming back (or other things). Some of the nicest resorts. Maybe it used to be nice, but anymore its scarey to think about going.
From what I heard at work, a few people who have gone, in the past 3 years, have lost a couple of buddies out there. They sinply wanted to spend a weekend out there, down in the southern parts. Without going inot detail, they were robbed, their cars stolen at gunpoint and then killed. One of 3 different experiences of people who have actually gone, or have had family/friends go. The one survivor that came back said the police wouldnt do anything....in fact, making him look like the bad guy. One of many stories that we hear on the news occaiaionally.
But now whats up with this travel agency thing? Being stuck there? That travel agency was so wrong for doing this to their customers.
Im sure Mecxico isnt the only place where things like this happen, but it seems that it sure gets a lot of notice in the news when any American, or any other visitor goes out there and doesnt come back.
One of many reasons Im not sure I ever want to go visit there, of all places, at any given time.

Holidays turn into ugly ordeals for some who booked with failed travel firm - Yahoo! Canada Travel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM

128 posts, read 577,245 times
I've been to Mexico many times in the last 25 years and really enjoyed it. I never once doubted that circumstances could "go south" and any given moment and that the authorities were there with their hands out to offer any help. The USA (politicians) are just as bad by condoning what happens and not making it known in it's entirety to it's public. If you talk to any American that has a business in Mexico they would tell you how uncompromising the Mexican gov't is. I'm certain my response is going to create a lot of rants and that other countries (Aruba) have problems too but I'm merely responding to your post. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I dont spend a lot of time here in the travel forum so really dont know if this topic already has been mentioned.
But last month the news was trying to warn us, and especially parents of kids who planned to spend their spring break in Beautiful Mexico....against going there. Guess theres a lot of stuff going there right now that can hinder people coming back (or other things). Some of the nicest resorts. Maybe it used to be nice, but anymore its scarey to think about going.
From what I heard at work, a few people who have gone, in the past 3 years, have lost a couple of buddies out there. They sinply wanted to spend a weekend out there, down in the southern parts. Without going inot detail, they were robbed, their cars stolen at gunpoint and then killed. One of 3 different experiences of people who have actually gone, or have had family/friends go. The one survivor that came back said the police wouldnt do anything....in fact, making him look like the bad guy. One of many stories that we hear on the news occaiaionally.
But now whats up with this travel agency thing? Being stuck there? That travel agency was so wrong for doing this to their customers.
Im sure Mecxico isnt the only place where things like this happen, but it seems that it sure gets a lot of notice in the news when any American, or any other visitor goes out there and doesnt come back.
One of many reasons Im not sure I ever want to go visit there, of all places, at any given time.

Holidays turn into ugly ordeals for some who booked with failed travel firm - Yahoo! Canada Travel

Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
So many Americans get stuck on Mexico and don't realize there are several alternatives south of Mexico to explore and enjoy. As Mexico became increasingly Americanized I headed south of their border and have never looked back. There's Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua. And you'll find them to be cheaper to visit, and, in my opinion, safer. And I ride the chicken buses all over Central America. 5 trips now and will make a 6th this Fall.

You may notice I didn't include Costa Rica. Just not my cup of tea. I prefer not to be around a lot of Americans when I travel. My favorite travel spots are places where I can brag that I was the only tourist in town that day.
El Salvador is the least touristed in Central America, and after 3 trips there, it has emerged as my favorite. Tourist-free! Paradise!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 PM

25,668 posts, read 24,294,918 times
Im guessing that traveling to any coutry outside of the US can be risky if you dont know much about their laws.
On the other hand, I would still go to Canada or Moscow in a heartbeat.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 AM

228 posts, read 884,538 times
I travel to Mexico via cruise ship, and was just there in Feb. A lot of people were a little nervous about getting off the ship, but we had a great time in all ports (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Matzalan) and never felt unsafe. One suggestion to us was to NOT take our passport, as that is one thing that the bad guys want..a passport can go for $10,000.

Ive been up and down eastern Mexico and farther south and never had a problem. We did have some men that were a little upset in Jamaica over their "pat down search" and the fact that men had to go thru a different line than women...

I know and have heard about bad things happening, but you have to be aware of every where you travel..even if its into downtown Houston. Dot

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
It's no worse then visiting some American cities..hmmm..New Orleans jumps right out at me...does that stop me from going there..NO..because I pay attention to what I'm doing and who is around me...don't go wandering off the beaten path by myself especially after dark.
People go missing in the US every day..point is when out of your natural habitat pay attention to your surroundings and what is going on...

Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,241,906 times
^^^ You getting ready for your trip to Cabo?

LUCKY YOU!

I'm watching for something to open up for us to go this summer for our timeshare. I'm SOOOOOO ready.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,447,720 times
------It's no worse than visiting some American cities----

True !

The key word is----"American"-----

Nothing irks me more than an American who goes to a foreign country that they have been warned about, and if they get in trouble their mommy and daddy are on tv demanding the US govt get involved .

There should be places where the warning says----"Go at your own risk "

Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
------It's no worse than visiting some American cities----

True !

The key word is----"American"-----

Nothing irks me more than an American who goes to a foreign country that they have been warned about, and if they get in trouble their mommy and daddy are on tv demanding the US govt get involved .

There should be places where the warning says----"Go at your own risk "
Actually there is no travel warning regarding Mexico only a travel alert regarding some areas

Travel Alerts

Travel Alerts are a means to disseminate information about terrorist threats and other relatively short-term and/or trans-national conditions posing significant risks to the security of American travelers. The TAs are made when there is a specific threat that cannot be countered. In the past, Travel Alerts have been issued to deal with short-term coups, violence by terrorists and anniversary dates of specific terrorist events

Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
^^^ You getting ready for your trip to Cabo?

LUCKY YOU!

I'm watching for something to open up for us to go this summer for our timeshare. I'm SOOOOOO ready.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! 1 week from Saturday.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or