U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,549,353 times

Advertisements

SW only just recently started flying to Logan Airport (or will start very soon). I look forward to trying them out on my next trip out east (and I sure as hell won't miss flying out of O'Hare or taking USAir to LaGuardia!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 01:41 AM

2,539 posts, read 8,837,986 times
Recently I've been flying from Florida to Southern California every month or so. Every time I've used Southwest and been very happy. Cheap, prompt, and I've earned free flights! The frills aren't nessecary for me on a (relatively) short flight.

For leisure long-haul though, I'd happily fly Virgin Atlantic or get a sleeper suite in British Airways.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,753,998 times
US Airways lost my baggage. I was connecting to SFO through Charlotte and they ended up sending my baggage to Savanah. I didn't get the bags until 3 days later and it ruined half my vacation.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,368,604 times
Best flights I've ever been on,thus far, were Alaska Air. That's a HUGE compliment coming from me because I detest everything else about Alaska.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,061,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
US Airways lost my baggage. I was connecting to SFO through Charlotte and they ended up sending my baggage to Savanah. I didn't get the bags until 3 days later and it ruined half my vacation.
Lol. When United lost mine I didn't EVER get my stuff back .

Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM

228 posts, read 885,271 times
I LOVE Continental! Ive only had one flight that was just so so with them and that was last year on a flight out to Hawaii. We had a surprise inspection, so had to sit on the ground for about 45 mins for this to happen, and I had a horrible headache, and asked for water. The flight attendant told me she would have to see if she could find me some...then she came back trying to hide it and told me not to let other people see it..lol..then the next isle over, another male attendant carried about 4 cups of water at the same time held high in the air! Other than that, all my flights have been great with them.

Was very surprised to see a few saying British Airways!! I DO NOT like them!! I flew to London with them in coach, and I suppose if I could have afforded first class it might have been ok. The attendants were nice enough, but when (before I booked with them) I looked on seat garu to see what the pitch of their seats were, it said the very same that Contiental had, but, NO WAY! The girl in front of me had her seat reclined the WHOLE time, and I could have kissed her forhead! I had to stand up in my seat to try to get out! UGH. Never again!

But, I love to fly and if I can cruise there, then let me fly there!! Dot

Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 PM

821 posts, read 1,800,641 times
have done lots of flying and never had a really horrible horror story (unless you can count on an International flight, a girl sitting next to me got drunk and spilled her drink all over her, not once but twice)

best airlines..... Singapore Airlines

Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,672,685 times
I only know US domestic airlines (other than Air Canada) but my favorite is Continental. Continental has been awesome to me in my years of flying.

I loathe Delta. I don't like Southwest.

I didn't have any problems with Northwest or US Air, but people complained about them nonstop. I actually enjoyed flying Northwest and thought they were one of the better ones, and I flew them probably second most after Continental. I flew NWA about as much as Delta.

I have never had a problem with United, they were better than average, but not as good as Continental.

I have flown JetBlue a couple times and they were really good. I wasn't keen on their customer service on the ground but the flight was excellent, you can't beat having 24 channels of DirecTV on the flight.

I always liked Alaska Air a lot, also, but they weren't top level like Continental. And they did lose my bags once for over 2 days when I went to Canada.

I always liked America West also - I believe they are now merged with someone else? They were very good, hubs in Phoenix and Vegas - always a good experience with them.

I also flew AirTran - they are a no-frills airline and they felt the most like a no-frills airline. The other "no-frills" airlines had at least SOME frills, but airTran, as I remember, both times I flew them they were even stingy on the beverages. Otherwise, they were OK.

Air Canada was just OK. Nothing great, nothing bad. They did a poor job accommodating my seat requests every time, though. I would rather not fly them again.

Defunct airlines I've flown with:
ATA (American Trans Air) - they were great. Well, very good, and cheap, and nothing spectacular. No-frills and they were easy and cheap to fly in and out of Chicago, or even to connect there to go elsewhere.

National Airlines - they were based in Vegas with McCarran (LAS) as their hub. They were great! Again, no-frills and very cheap...they offered just snacks like nuts and pretzels and cookies, and they offered sodas and water. I took my parents on a trip to Las Vegas on that airline for their very first trip to Vegas, lol. My dad was ecstatic just to be flying again. After that I would take my dad to Vegas with me on Continental and since I was "elite" on Continental we'd get first class upgrades and dad LOVED that, lol.... OK just reminiscing there - National Airlines always brings up a good memory for me. I wish they survived, they were fine, they'd have been a good alternative.

Nobody has surpassed Continental though in my experience. When I started flying them they were the worst airline (Mid-90's) and it was very clear, and I said so. They turned things around a full 180 degrees and went from WORST to FIRST. I had co-workers who would say, "Oh, you flew Continental? Oh, I'm so sorry, they're HORRIBLE" and things like that even after they had turned things around, and I couldn't convince those people how GOOD the airline was. And most of them flew on crappy DELTA and thought it was good!! lol After a while the rankings would come out and show Continental on top and even then these co-workers didn't believe me, but hey, whatever, I was being treated great and never losing luggage and getting upgraded to First Class while they were being given middle seats and losing luggage on Delta.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 04-22-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Continentail . I hate flying southwest really. But basically I do not enjoy flying anymore really; its just gotten to be a hassle.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,299,861 times
The only U.S airline I've flown so far is Delta, and I thought they were wonderful! Great staff, plane did the whole take off-flying-landing thing really well, on time and all luggage in the same place as me.

I always fly Qantas on trips to the U.S, so feel a bit spoiled with their video on-demand entertainment system and free meals, but it is a 14 hour flight from Syd-LAX. You get to a point though, where you'll scream if you watch one more movie, and your eyes cannot handle any more reading, it's fun. Delta has just started the Syd-LAX route though, so may look into that.

I need to book flights from LAX to MSY (New Orleans), and have been checking out a few options. Southwest seem to be the cheapest, so I'm interested in any other opinions. The only non-stop flights seem to be with United, which is odd, as the flight I took with Delta last time going MSY-LAX was non-stop.

Worst airlines I've experienced have been Air France and BA. Never. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel