U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM

808 posts, read 1,171,488 times

Advertisements

I've flown with various airlines and never had a really bad experience. It always seems though, like my seats ALWAYS end up way in the back of the plane, no matter when I book my flight or if I ask for a seat farther up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,496,612 times
Actually the worst airline I have ever flown was Delta. I did work for them for awhile until shortly after 9/11. They were at once an excellent airline. I noticed their financial troubles were getting the best of them. When I was layoffed in Nov 2001 and then recalled and then layoffed a 2nd time. I vowed not to return to work if recalled again. I was not surprised when they filed bankruptcy. There was the constant threat of it for several years. It got to the point it was no way to go to work everyday.

I flew on them 3 times since 2001 and each time my flights were plagued with delays. The last time I flew on them June 2008, the plane ran low on fuel and had to be diverted while in route to Atlanta. I decided then I would not fly on them again, even if Priceline offered me the lower fare on Delta.

As far as best airlines in the world, Im not sure. I know I flew Aer Lingus to Ireland and that service was excellent. I also have had decent service on BA but that was years ago on them.
Im not sure there is really a best airline in America any longer. In fact I think customer service seems to be a thing of the past in the USA. Reason being: Businesses don't seem to act like they need to any longer.

Southwest is a decent airline, but they seem to have an unusual amount of safety violations lately.
They are now operating a number of aircraft that must be refitted for a heat deflector. They were given an extension by the FAA because it is so many of their planes. I believe Southwest now is the only US airline that does not charge for baggage. Southwest does have some long distance almost coast to coast flights to Las Vegas and Phoenix. Mostly Southwest is a short hop airline. Its fares usually are lower but not always. There are many times I tried to book over a month in advance and all I found were fares of $399 each way plus taxes.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,014,676 times
Best: Frontier
Worst: Alaska

Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,160,721 times
I know everybody will laugh at me here, but I warmly commend AA (I used an international AA flight last winter and sorry for all the self-bashing people here, BUT THEIR standard is higher than European airlines- at least those I know).
Twenty years ago I flew a 747 Tower Air, good company too.(doesn't exist anymore, I think)

Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,496,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I know everybody will laugh at me here, but I warmly commend AA (I used an international AA flight last winter and sorry for all the self-bashing people here, BUT THEIR standard is higher than European airlines- at least those I know).
Twenty years ago I flew a 747 Tower Air, good company too.(doesn't exist anymore, I think)

Yes Tower Air is gone now.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,824,617 times
Favorites : Southwest and American
Worse : United

Old 09-19-2009, 06:00 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,115,889 times
In terms of favorites, I've found over the years that among the majors, my flight experience is determined more by what hub I'm connecting through than by the name on the tail. Memphis connection- almost always very good, Chicago or Detroit- average, Atlanta- rarely good and perpetually delayed.

I do have to say that my almost uniformly experiences with ASA (Satan's commuter airline as determined by a major US customer service survey) go beyond the usual connect through Atlanta problems and on to a more significant level of awful. Fortunately, I can book flights around them out of my local airport most of the time.

Most surreal defunct carrier experience- having Northwest rebook me onto something called MarkAir on a Sunday because of mechanical difficulties with my original flight. I was extremely grumpy about getting sent over to fly with an airline I'd never heard of but the employees there couldn't have been nicer to me and I was left with a warm fuzzy feeling about the start up/discount carrier. About 48 hours later, I noticed an article in the business section of the paper that MarkAir that said the company has suspended all services and was going back into bankruptcy. I really felt for the employees, who had put up a heckava good face if they'd known what was coming.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 AM

6,159 posts, read 6,328,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Most surreal defunct carrier experience- having Northwest rebook me onto something called MarkAir on a Sunday because of mechanical difficulties with my original flight. I was extremely grumpy about getting sent over to fly with an airline I'd never heard of but the employees there couldn't have been nicer to me and I was left with a warm fuzzy feeling about the start up/discount carrier. About 48 hours later, I noticed an article in the business section of the paper that MarkAir that said the company has suspended all services and was going back into bankruptcy. I really felt for the employees, who had put up a heckava good face if they'd known what was coming.
Most of the employees of MarkAir were good to deal with. The policy makers for the airline was another story. In an attempt to keep the airline going they offered a PFD special where you could get 4 or 5 tickets anywhere they flew for a real low price. Once everyone bought the tickets, MarkAir would only allocate a few seats on each flight for these deeply discounted tickets. It became next to impossible to ever use these tickets. The tickets were good for a year and then became worthless. The amazing thing was the next year when this deal was again offered, people once again bought them. Once again it was next to impossible to use them.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,673,578 times
My absolute Favorite is Continental. I think they are way ahead of their competition.

Next level down I like JetBlue. I also liked Northwest the times I flew them, and I liked US Air, but I know many people hate both of those airlines. I liked ATA when they were around. I really liked National Airlines when they were around, it's a crying shame they went out of business. Alaska/Horizon Airlines has always been really good for me, too.

I thought United was OK, same with Air Canada. Air Tran was OK, too. America West was pretty good, too.

HATE: Delta. They have such an arrogance because, I believe, at one time they were the best or one off the best airlines... They are also a "legacy" airline like United and American, and were around during the times of TWA, Pan Am, etc. Their arrogance has shown through in their various employees attitudes towards me. There have been some good flight attendants, but also bad ones. Their agents are typically aloof and arrogant and whenever I've had a problem they rarely could be bothered to give me satisfaction. I've had Northwest and Continental give me vouchers for food and drink, phone calls, even upgrades and future flight discount vouchers when I didn't even ask, whereas Delta I think only ONCE gave me a food voucher for Cincinnati airport. And even then, that was Comair, one of Delta's smaller carriers, who were slightly better than regular Delta.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,109,537 times
I'm not a huge fan of Spirit Airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel