U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM

2,935 posts, read 8,140,138 times

Advertisements

I've just got back from Spokane a week and a half ago and I really loved riding on the Greyhound bus, I've met alot of interesting people on the bus and riding on the Greyhound bus almost took me back to the school trips I went on back when I was in high school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Greyhound bus for a short trip of 2 and half hours should be fine. Buses are usually equipped with restrooms.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,520,859 times
Yeah a trip that short you should be fine.......But I've had my share of "Adventures" and shady characters on greyhound that's for sure

Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM

6,150 posts, read 6,319,318 times
It has been about 30 years since I last rode Greyhound between Pasco and Spokane. I am guessing not much has changed. There was several stops along the way. I recommend you bring something to eat as the meal stop is usually too short for everyone to actually get served

Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,656,442 times
Wow that is a short trip! Should be good for that. Sounds good - took my two bus trips cause it was cheaper back in 92.... it was an adventure ment some good folk but never do it again/ you need to be young, but it sucked.

65 hours to SD from TAcoma to Spokane I was arrested as a teenage runnaway - handcuffed the cops finally let me go get my id - I was 25 at the time (out smoking), at the Fargo terminal I sat on my duffle bag scared to death, swiss army knife and leathermans in both hands, not that would so anything I was white bread, wow 3am in Fargo is interesting then lots of storys interesting ....

Second time being dropped off at the Vet office in Big Timber ,,,,and then all the way home a gal with a 18 month old trying to get out of the gangs (and going to
Seattle from the New Orleans) was exshausted 60 hours aready .... I had pillows and blankets so I held child all the way to Seattle she pied her pants and me by 100 miles in but I could tell mom was done so a wet child for another 22 hours did the trip.... I felt bad for them but they (she) was trying to make a break. I only did the trip to be cheap.................Would I do it again Hell no ... Was it an experience Yes

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 AM

25,668 posts, read 24,294,918 times
Its okay I guess as long as Im only going someplace relatively local. Id ride from here to LAX or maybe someplace within just a few hours drive from here otherwise, but long distance, no thanks. Sure beats trying to drive those L.A. freeways!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,590,104 times
I actually did a long Greyhound trip (+1000 miles) when I was younger. It was pretty grueling, and I would not recommend it to anyone, especially after the particularly gruesome incident that ocurred a while back where a man was attacked and killed by a really, really crazy person sitting next to him. I just think that it is too unsafe nowadays to be riding the 'Hound (although I will concede that a short trip might not be too bad.)

Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,965,925 times
In 1958 I rode the bus from Worcester, MA to Fort Collins, CO.

It was basically a non-stop trip with stops to eat and maybe change busses once or twice.
It took several days.
I don't remember how many.

I had never travelled beyond the New England states prior to that, so it was a really interesting trip.
But it was torture sitting in that seat night and day, especially when somebody sat next to me.

I would never do it again.
I can't stand to ride the bus.

The train isn't much better, but at least you can get up and walk around.
I have never tried a train sleeping compartment.
That might be tolerable.

But, If I can't fly or drive, I don't go.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 PM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
Default I like riding buses but

I wish Greyhound would allow vendors to hop on and off the bus en route like they do in Central America, which would make it all more interesting and entertaining.

I ride the chicken buses in Central America and I love them all. Vendors hop on and off at various stops, trying to sell you anything from fried chicken to pharmaceutical products to pirated DVDs/CDs to toothpaste and razors and fresh fruit. Never a dull moment (you may sit next to someone carrying their chickens to the market) and you look forward to the next vendor hopping on at the next stop to see what they have to offer.

The only "vendors" I abhor is the preachers who'll get on board and preach to you as you cruise down the road, and then pass the hat before they get off.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,085,642 times
I like Greyhound. We always used to take Greyhound/Peter Pan between New York City and Washington D.C. and the sound the bus makes is somehow soothing to me. I recommend sitting in the back because few people like sitting back there and the bathroom is right there, the only thing I hate about the back is you can't tell where you are because you can't read the signs too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel