U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 PM

14,810 posts, read 13,999,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinOH View Post
Unless you are a masochist with very little money, do NOT take Greyhound! It is dirty, noisy, takes a long time, you have to transer your own bags from one bus to another, if the heat goes out (good luck staying warm), and just a very bad way to travel! They even offered me a free RT ticket and I never used it. If I can't fly, drive, or take Amtrack, I'm not going! Greyhound sucks!
I took a 12 hour trip on Greyhound about 7 years ago from Central FL to Savannah GA. IT WAS AWFUL!!!! The driver was rude from the moment he got on the bus, announcing that this was HIS bus and HE was in charge and everyone would do as HE said or they would be thrown off the bus. First rule to be enforced was that the empty seat next to you could not be used for carry on items--everything had to go in the overhead. One short lady said, "I can't reach the overhead". He told her she would just have to figure out something because he wasn't there to help her put her stuff away. Other passengers ended up helping her stow her carry on in the overhead. He next announced that the stops would be very short and not to get off the bus at them or he would leave you behind. The trip got underway and continued for several hours without incident when he announced the bus would stop in Brunswick GA for 45 minutes for a rest stop and everyone could get off the bus at that time to get some eats. When the bus pulled into the station in Brunswick, I got off and went into the station. There was nothing there except a couple of vending machines so I went to the bathroom and went back outside. THE BUS WAS GONE!! HE HAD LEFT WITHOUT ME!! I was both p*ssed and a little scared to be dumped off after dark in a strange city. I talked to the station attendant and she told me that of all the drivers that came through there, this one was the worst. I was contemplating what I was going to do when the bus pulled around the corner and I ran over and got on. As I boarded he said to me, "I told you when the trip started not to get off at any stops or you would be left behind." I snapped back, "You said you would be stopping in Brunswick for 45 minutes and we could get off the bus to get something to eat." "I said no such thing," he yelled back. "Oh yes, you did," I yelled back at him. Other passengers chimed in to support me, saying the driver had, indeed, said we would stop in Brunswick.He told everyone to be quiet and sit down. Well, he drove on for about 8-10 minutes and then announced that the bus would be stopping at a food court in Brunswick for 45 minutes for rest and food. After the rest stop, the rest of the trip was uneventful except for the driver yelling at a mom to keep her kid quiet or else. When the bus finally arrived at Savannah, I retrieved my luggage and went up to the driver and told him, "You are the biggest horse's a s s I've ever had the misfortune to run into and f**k you" and turned and walked away.

I have not taken Greyhound since and would rather hitchhike than ever do so again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,177,362 times
Oh, I am not saying it is always this way, it might be a coincidence (unfortunate one!!) but I rode Greyhound buses very few times, and they were terrible!!!!

I will avoid it as much as I can.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
I never took the greyhound but I have taken 12 hour bus rides in other countries. My experience was fine.. but I did however say after taking so much time its better to spend a little more and fly

Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
It really depends on 1) what your alternatives are and 2) how much you hate flying.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
It really depends on 1) what your alternatives are and 2) how much you hate flying.
and how much money you have.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 AM

848 posts, read 1,679,392 times
I don't and wouldn't use Greyhound today. It used to be a nice method of transportation decades ago. Many people didn't own cars and there were no abundance of highway oases as there are now, so it offered a very nice alternative.

I don't care for todays general clientele, and Greyhound stations are usually located in less than desirable places of town.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 20,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
How do you like riding the Greyhound Bus? I am gonna be riding on one from Pasco, WA to Spokane, WA in a couple months and this is gonna the first time I've had ever ridden on a Greyhound Bus, it's a 2 and a half hour drive with no stops in between.
2.5 hr drive, not so bad. It's when you get the looooong drives, that's when it's unbearable.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM

120 posts, read 568,529 times
Default re

I hate riding Greyhound! My last time was right out of college 5 years ago, I rode from Long Beach, CA to Columbus, OH. I wasn't half way out of California before regretting it lol. I resolved to never do it again but to rather fly, and I haven't set foot on a bus since.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,421,629 times
You should be okay for the 2.5 hour trip.

Limit your liquid intake (to avoid the restroom). Take a jacket (for the air-conditioner). Dress comfortably (of course). Take some non-salty snacks (to squelch any hunger pangs, and salt usually makes one thirsty - and you REALLY should avoid the restroom if possible). Try not to nap, as you don't know WHO will be near you and how long their reach is to your pockets.

Don't sit near the restroom.

With that said, I tolerated the Greyhound in my younger, more resilient days. I was excited to travel, and wanted an up-close view of the Midwest and Tennessee. So I took the Greyhound to Tennessee. Took 1.5 days to reach Chattanooga. It was worth it, as my travel thirst was happily - and exhaustingly - quenched.

No one got on my nerves. People, thankfully, were polite. There were no offensive smells. I think I wore ear plugs to drown out anyone's snoring.

It was a fair-to-good experience.

However, I DON'T want to do it again. I'm too "old" and impatient and intolerant for the Greyhound. Amtrak is my infactuation; flying my LOVE.

Last edited by Soda120; 07-02-2010 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: More words

Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,610,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I took a 12 hour trip on Greyhound about 7 years ago from Central FL to Savannah GA. IT WAS AWFUL!!!! The driver was rude from the moment he got on the bus, announcing that this was HIS bus and HE was in charge and everyone would do as HE said or they would be thrown off the bus. First rule to be enforced was that the empty seat next to you could not be used for carry on items--everything had to go in the overhead. One short lady said, "I can't reach the overhead". He told her she would just have to figure out something because he wasn't there to help her put her stuff away. Other passengers ended up helping her stow her carry on in the overhead. He next announced that the stops would be very short and not to get off the bus at them or he would leave you behind. The trip got underway and continued for several hours without incident when he announced the bus would stop in Brunswick GA for 45 minutes for a rest stop and everyone could get off the bus at that time to get some eats. When the bus pulled into the station in Brunswick, I got off and went into the station. There was nothing there except a couple of vending machines so I went to the bathroom and went back outside. THE BUS WAS GONE!! HE HAD LEFT WITHOUT ME!! I was both p*ssed and a little scared to be dumped off after dark in a strange city. I talked to the station attendant and she told me that of all the drivers that came through there, this one was the worst. I was contemplating what I was going to do when the bus pulled around the corner and I ran over and got on. As I boarded he said to me, "I told you when the trip started not to get off at any stops or you would be left behind." I snapped back, "You said you would be stopping in Brunswick for 45 minutes and we could get off the bus to get something to eat." "I said no such thing," he yelled back. "Oh yes, you did," I yelled back at him. Other passengers chimed in to support me, saying the driver had, indeed, said we would stop in Brunswick.He told everyone to be quiet and sit down. Well, he drove on for about 8-10 minutes and then announced that the bus would be stopping at a food court in Brunswick for 45 minutes for rest and food. After the rest stop, the rest of the trip was uneventful except for the driver yelling at a mom to keep her kid quiet or else. When the bus finally arrived at Savannah, I retrieved my luggage and went up to the driver and told him, "You are the biggest horse's a s s I've ever had the misfortune to run into and f**k you" and turned and walked away.

I have not taken Greyhound since and would rather hitchhike than ever do so again.
I took Greyhound cross country one time - it was interesting and it was okay, faster than I thought it would be actually.

The people on the routes kind of change as you go, the drivers seem nice and polite on certain routes but as the passengers get more on the rowdy side, the drivers seem to become the zero tolerance type.

On one leg of the journey some of the passengers started to sing kind of loud and the driver told everyone to shut up and then they started chanting "kill the bus driver", I think just to be funny but he pulled off the interstate and started yelling that he said everyone had to shut up and if not, he was going to pull the bus around and head back to the station. The rest of that leg of the journey was quiet.

Then the passengers changed to a different kind and it was back to polite drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel