U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Reputation: 8712

Advertisements

After the murder on the Greyhound bus in Canada last year, and the suicide on the one here in Portland I don't ever want to get on one. Mostly I would never want to ride them because of the type of clientelle I see at the Portland Greryhound station.

It really is a shame and a sad commentary on the type of society we have that produces such clientelle. It probably wouldn't be a bad way to travel at least for shorter trips, if it were not for the type of people on board. For those travellers that are respectable people, I imagine one must feel uncomfortable with some of the behaviours much of the time. Im surprised Greyhound has been able to survive all these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Oregon
218 posts, read 653,705 times
Reputation: 270
Wow! I never heard about a suicide in Portland. I rode on Greyhound once when my buddies car broke down on the way back from a long road trip. I road Greyhound from Bakersfield, CA to Salem, OR and hated it. At one point I lost my temper and I rarely ever lose my temper. when these guy in front of me and my buddy leaned there seat all the way back and there head were practically in out lap and refused to put up there seats, well refused until I threatened to throw them out the window and they quickly put there seats up after that. Also, every bus stop seemed to be in the ghetto. I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Reputation: 8712
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
Wow! I never heard about a suicide in Portland. I rode on Greyhound once when my buddies car broke down on the way back from a long road trip. I road Greyhound from Bakersfield, CA to Salem, OR and hated it. At one point I lost my temper and I rarely ever lose my temper. when these guy in front of me and my buddy leaned there seat all the way back and there head were practically in out lap and refused to put up there seats, well refused until I threatened to throw them out the window and they quickly put there seats up after that. Also, every bus stop seemed to be in the ghetto. I could go on and on.

Yeah there was a suicide last year I think it was, on I-84 right outside Portland around Troutdale on I-84. A man that according to passengers had been acting strange got the window opened, and jumped out on the fwy. That was it for him. Its really sad though. Im sure there are many on the buses that are sort of lost souls going from town to town. I think the man that killed himself here had travelled all the way from Fla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Georgia
897 posts, read 1,457,099 times
Reputation: 611
I had years back to travel on a Greyhound bus from Atlanta to Miami,It really sucked(that's putting it nicely)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Location: middle of everywhere
1,846 posts, read 3,769,147 times
Reputation: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I took a 12 hour trip on Greyhound about 7 years ago from Central FL to Savannah GA. IT WAS AWFUL!!!! The driver was rude from the moment he got on the bus, announcing that this was HIS bus and HE was in charge and everyone would do as HE said or they would be thrown off the bus. First rule to be enforced was that the empty seat next to you could not be used for carry on items--everything had to go in the overhead. One short lady said, "I can't reach the overhead". He told her she would just have to figure out something because he wasn't there to help her put her stuff away. Other passengers ended up helping her stow her carry on in the overhead. He next announced that the stops would be very short and not to get off the bus at them or he would leave you behind. The trip got underway and continued for several hours without incident when he announced the bus would stop in Brunswick GA for 45 minutes for a rest stop and everyone could get off the bus at that time to get some eats. When the bus pulled into the station in Brunswick, I got off and went into the station. There was nothing there except a couple of vending machines so I went to the bathroom and went back outside. THE BUS WAS GONE!! HE HAD LEFT WITHOUT ME!! I was both p*ssed and a little scared to be dumped off after dark in a strange city. I talked to the station attendant and she told me that of all the drivers that came through there, this one was the worst. I was contemplating what I was going to do when the bus pulled around the corner and I ran over and got on. As I boarded he said to me, "I told you when the trip started not to get off at any stops or you would be left behind." I snapped back, "You said you would be stopping in Brunswick for 45 minutes and we could get off the bus to get something to eat." "I said no such thing," he yelled back. "Oh yes, you did," I yelled back at him. Other passengers chimed in to support me, saying the driver had, indeed, said we would stop in Brunswick.He told everyone to be quiet and sit down. Well, he drove on for about 8-10 minutes and then announced that the bus would be stopping at a food court in Brunswick for 45 minutes for rest and food. After the rest stop, the rest of the trip was uneventful except for the driver yelling at a mom to keep her kid quiet or else. When the bus finally arrived at Savannah, I retrieved my luggage and went up to the driver and told him, "You are the biggest horse's a s s I've ever had the misfortune to run into and f**k you" and turned and walked away.

I have not taken Greyhound since and would rather hitchhike than ever do so again.
Wow- what a terrible story! I hope you filed a complaint against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 02:23 AM
 
Location: Oregon
218 posts, read 653,705 times
Reputation: 270
If someone was brave enough, they should do a multiple cross country greyhound trip and then write several books on their experiences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,451,669 times
Reputation: 8158
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
If someone was brave enough, they should do a multiple cross country greyhound trip and then write several books on their experiences
Yes !

I certainly would read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Fresno,ca
322 posts, read 983,295 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I took a 12 hour trip on Greyhound about 7 years ago from Central FL to Savannah GA. IT WAS AWFUL!!!! The driver was rude from the moment he got on the bus, announcing that this was HIS bus and HE was in charge and everyone would do as HE said or they would be thrown off the bus. First rule to be enforced was that the empty seat next to you could not be used for carry on items--everything had to go in the overhead. One short lady said, "I can't reach the overhead". He told her she would just have to figure out something because he wasn't there to help her put her stuff away. Other passengers ended up helping her stow her carry on in the overhead. He next announced that the stops would be very short and not to get off the bus at them or he would leave you behind. The trip got underway and continued for several hours without incident when he announced the bus would stop in Brunswick GA for 45 minutes for a rest stop and everyone could get off the bus at that time to get some eats. When the bus pulled into the station in Brunswick, I got off and went into the station. There was nothing there except a couple of vending machines so I went to the bathroom and went back outside. THE BUS WAS GONE!! HE HAD LEFT WITHOUT ME!! I was both p*ssed and a little scared to be dumped off after dark in a strange city. I talked to the station attendant and she told me that of all the drivers that came through there, this one was the worst. I was contemplating what I was going to do when the bus pulled around the corner and I ran over and got on. As I boarded he said to me, "I told you when the trip started not to get off at any stops or you would be left behind." I snapped back, "You said you would be stopping in Brunswick for 45 minutes and we could get off the bus to get something to eat." "I said no such thing," he yelled back. "Oh yes, you did," I yelled back at him. Other passengers chimed in to support me, saying the driver had, indeed, said we would stop in Brunswick.He told everyone to be quiet and sit down. Well, he drove on for about 8-10 minutes and then announced that the bus would be stopping at a food court in Brunswick for 45 minutes for rest and food. After the rest stop, the rest of the trip was uneventful except for the driver yelling at a mom to keep her kid quiet or else. When the bus finally arrived at Savannah, I retrieved my luggage and went up to the driver and told him, "You are the biggest horse's a s s I've ever had the misfortune to run into and f**k you" and turned and walked away.

I have not taken Greyhound since and would rather hitchhike than ever do so again.

Man I would have filled about 50 complaints to greyhound about that bus driver he sounds like a real prick to me..lol I'm sorry for your misfortune of having to deal with that JERK!!! I've been on the Greyhound 11 Times and every time I went it's has been Cross-Country and not once was the driver rude to us. I feel bad for you after reading that story. I especially would have complained if i was the mother with kids. She should try to get him fired from his job. There's people that are working super hard to find work and it's just sad that in America that such a JERK like the Greyhound bus Driver guy gets a full time job as a bus driver yet a really nice dude can't get a part time job..lol it's just unbelievable how the system works...

Better luck on your next trip man. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Fresno,ca
322 posts, read 983,295 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
If someone was brave enough, they should do a multiple cross country greyhound trip and then write several books on their experiences
I've been on 11 greyhound bus trips and all of them were Cross-Country trips. I've actually found the trips to be quite enjoyable. With the exception of the frigid cold buses in the Summertime ( How Ironic..lol ) and the excessive layovers and the super limited stretching room you have on the bus, the rest has been really great. The people for the most part are super entertaining, despite the fact that almost everyone that rides a greyhound bus smokes cigarettes...lol despite that it's really fun. you get to see a lot of the country and the differences of different parts of the country. Not only that you get to experience different cultures of the many here in the US and it's just really neat to go from the what seemingly is the Desolate barren wide open Southwest Desert to the Industrial Great lakes region to the Deep south covered in Pine trees although still really green and beautiful and then to the Metropolis covered Mid Atlantic to the awesome forest covered Northeast. It's just awesome to experience all that in one trip. =) Plus the potential for food buying is much cheaper compared to Amtrak where you have no choice but to eat there food onboard..lol for the whole trip.

Altogether i loved traveling on greyhound although you really do have to be mentally tough because sleep isn't really that easy on the greyhound but somehow the human body finds a way to conquer all it's needs.. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Fresno,ca
322 posts, read 983,295 times
Reputation: 156
Anyone else want to post on this thread? Any thread with greyhound bus riding experiences has to be of at least some interest..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top