U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,113,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
To get back to my inlaws house from Los Angeles, I had to take a Greyhound. It was a nightmare.

I took a courtesy bus to the train station. Great ride. I took a cab the four/five blocks to the bus station. I was advised it is NOT safe to be on the streets there no matter the time of day. Made waiting for ALL those hours make me feel real secure (note:scarcasm mode is on here)

The bus was six hours late. Six hours of sitting in a station filled with people who did not speak English, including employees. Who cannot answer your question of when is my bus due since you don't speak Spanish and they see an invisible person.

I paid extra for a preboard but found out the bus was there (someone remembered me asking or it might have left without me, no announcement) but the bus was half full already. Any transit company would have long ago retired it. It stunk. Everything rattled and the seat would not recline. I moved but was not happy. The DRIVER did not speak English either.

The bus made it a little bit on the freeway and broke down. We sat and waited for it. The announcement was made in Spanish ONLY. Someone figured out I was still sitting there who did speak English and told me to get off the bus. I told the driver he should be fired if he wasn't bingual and he didn't have a clue what I said.

It rattled its way there taking twice what it was supposed to. I lost some stuff since one of my carryons fell off the seat as it bounced. I couldn't wait to get off and into blessed silence...

I would never take one in an area like that. I may try it here to get to Kansas City and visit a friend but I would doubt that I had a driver who didn't understand the language at least.

And it ISN"T cheap. The train is cheaper, takes just a bit longer but you can walk around at your leasure and relax in a nice envionrement. And everyone goes our of their way to be courteous and polite and be helpful, even if the customers are tired and out of patience over something.

As for rides on Craigslist, me a single female... not so sure about that. I did try it once. Guy gave me a ride to the train, then when I was on the train home texed me that he just was too depressed (and very drunk) to pick me up. I consider that option a last resort.
I've actually received a couple of calls checking references for friends or former tenants who were offering rides on Craig's List. Smart to check like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,845 times
can the greyhound bus leave you behind??? would u get a refund or would they put you in another bus??

Old 10-27-2010, 04:38 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,194,052 times
Rode it from NYC to Atlantic City. It was really the only option: train schedules inconvenient, no scheduled airline service. At around 2-1/2 hours it was OK. I would not want to go much longer on a bus.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM

385 posts, read 1,288,922 times
For trips of a few hours, I don't mind it. I go between NY and Boston fairly often. Anything longer than four hours or so is too much.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:01 PM

318 posts, read 762,053 times
I HATE greyhound. I've had more bad experiences with them than I can count. From bomb threats (Albuquerque) to lost luggage (Murfreesboro) to cops thinking there was an escaped prisoner on our bus (Alamosa), and so on.....

Nevertheless, I use them all the time. I'm too cheap to fly. Next spring, I'll be riding the blue dog for 2 months straight. yeppp....2 months straight. fortunately, I have sleeping, eating, and showering arrangements already made as I lived in a semi truck for a while and know all about that stuff.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonita0130 View Post
can the greyhound bus leave you behind??? would u get a refund or would they put you in another bus??
When you buy a ticket with Greyhound, you aren't guaranteed a seat. If the bus is filled, too damn bad; you try to get on the next bus. And no, NO refunds. They're *******s about that stuff. Don't expect your bus to arrive on time, similarly; you're bound to miss a few connections if you're on a long trip. I remember on my first trip I had a 13 hour layover in St. Louis that wound up being 30 minutes because we were SOOOOOO late.

Last edited by alamosakid; 11-12-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2tracy View Post
Be prepared for some serious emotional abuse from the drivers, they are on some kind of power trip. I used to take the bus from Fresno to San Jose, and back and forth. You form a line to get on the bus, and the driver one time reamed me because I didn't have my ticket out of the little envelope packet and ready for him. So next trip back I was humbled and I took my ticket out of the envelope and had it ready to hand to him, and that driver reamed me for that, said never ever take our ticket out of the envelope, the driver is supposed to do that - I said "can ya'll get on the same page with your rules?" One time a mexican woman was talking on the cell phone in Spanish behind the driver (I am not Mexican and don't look like I am Mexican and do not speak Spanish). The driver pulled the bus over, got out of his seat, screamed at me that if he caught me talking on my cell phone again he would put me off the bus (we were out in the middle of nowhere). I said "Sir I was not talking on the cell phone" and I didn't want to narc on the lady in the other seat, so I didn't point her out. He screamed at me not to give him any lip or he would see to it that I never ride on another Greyhound bus again!!!! Wowie, scared the you know what out of me, my heart was pounding and my hands were sweaty the rest of the trip... unsure if he would pull the bus over and flip out again, or worse put me out in the middle of nowhere! (I had never once taken out my cell phone, I was a middle aged, clean cut woman, have all my teeth, college educated, so have no idea why he profiled me that way, and don't speak Spanish!). After that I started to rent a car instead for the weekend trips to San Jose. Another thing to watch for riding the Greyhound, they often stop at prisons, and half the bus will fill up with released prisoners going home. Which that is ok and good for them, they have done their time, but you may get wedged up tight between recently released prisoners. One time they sold more tickets than they had seats, and I had to stand for 4 hours from Fresno to San Jose on a Greyhound bus. I was exhausted by the time I got to my destination. My feet were pounding. I started renting a car, much less hassel and fear.
Oh yeah, the bus drivers are the biggest a-holes on earth. Seriously. I do commend them when they get mad at people with crying babies and chew them out, though, lol. That's one thing I can't stand.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
My wife rode both ways between South Texas and Northern Michigan a couple of years ago. She said it was fine, there were no adventure stories. No passengers or drivers that were particularly problematic. But much less fun than on South American buses, which are truly entertaining. USA buses don't let musicians, refreshment hawkers, salesmen, proselytizers and beggars get on and work the bus to the next stop, and they don't carry livestock. But the next time, she took the train, which she liked a lot better.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My wife rode both ways between South Texas and Northern Michigan a couple of years ago. She said it was fine, there were no adventure stories. No passengers or drivers that were particularly problematic. But much less fun than on South American buses, which are truly entertaining. USA buses don't let musicians, refreshment hawkers, salesmen, proselytizers and beggars get on and work the bus to the next stop, and they don't carry livestock. But the next time, she took the train, which she liked a lot better.
Same with the buses in Africa, lol. I never realized how big Greyhound seats were until had to attempt to squeeze into one exactly 30 cm wide.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,018,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
If someone was brave enough, they should do a multiple cross country greyhound trip and then write several books on their experiences

You would think someone would have done this by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel