U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 PM

49 posts, read 399,599 times

Advertisements

I am looking in to train rides in stead of a plane to go up to MA from OK and i wondered what it was like. If you could tell me in detail that would be appretiated and also what other train are there besides amtrak? thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,666,159 times
I was wondering the same thing. I have always wanted to do a train trip, but when it comes down to it, it's always too long and too expensive compared to flying. From what I've heard, it's not quite as enjoyable as the European train travel is, where they enjoy much better scenery on the way. In the US, from what I hear, the tracks mostly roll across rural, plain, flat land or through the back portions of cities and you don't see much that is interesting.

Anyway, as I said, I don't know, but I'm equally interested in finding out from anyone who has traveled by train, so I'll be watching for that post on this thread!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,686,361 times
I recently did a trip on The Vermonter (which runs between Washington DC and upstate Vermont). Most of the trip was oh, so enjoyable! The only not-so-great part was a crying baby (see Not-So-Good, below):

The good:
No airport hassle.
Shoes stay on.
Bring all your liquids (and they don't have to be baggy'd).
Carry-on luggage (you can bring 2 good-size bags).
There's a food car (not cuisine but at least you can get a hotdog and a drink).
Train ran on time.
Seats were wide, comfy and only 2 across.
The gentle rocking motion of the train was quite soothing. Easy to fall asleep.
If the train isn't full, you can stretch out across the seats for that nap.
You can get up and move around. No cramped legs.
Electrical outlets.
Far less expensive than flying. May even be less expensive than driving, if you count wear and tear on your car and parking.
Use your cell phone (might hit a few dead spots), laptop, IPod, anytime you want.
You can see where you're going. This is a physically stunning country! Sadly, humans have trashed up quite a bit of it. And a lot of that trash is along the rail routes .

The not-so-good:
The trip is much longer than flying. A trip that might be a 3-hour flight could be a 13-hour train ride.
If you have noisy or obnoxious passengers, you might be stuck with them for the full 13 hours.
The good part about that is, if there ARE fellow passengers that get on your nerves (such as the crying baby), you're free to move to a different car. Can't do that on a plane.
There aren't as many routes to choose from. Many routes (other than the Eastern seaboard runs) run only once a day. Miss it and you're toast.

All in all, if I had the time and a route was available, I'd most certainly consider training again. I really, really enjoyed it!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Amtrak is the only long distnace passenger train service in the US.

The bad:

It tends to be delayed--a LOT

It's much slower than plane travel

The food cars sometimes run out of food, and it's pretty nasty. You are welcome to bring your own.

The good was listed above.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM

thanks for the replies also are there bathrooms on the train and are they like plane bathrooms were you have like no privacy lol and also do you have to switch trains alot and is that a hassle like switching planes and is there layovers when you switch or do you get right on another train and also do you think it would be better to travle on train or plane if you have a sever social anxiety problem

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM

6,473 posts, read 13,941,549 times
I like the train and it's more hassle-free than an airplane. You can buy your tickets online if you use Amtrak. If your order 3 days in advance you can use AAA and get a discount. I find train trips VERY relaxing unless the train is crowded. But even a crowded train is nicer than a crowded airplane! The seats are big and comfy and I usually read or listen to headphones. Amtrak is really an awesome way to travel. I have never done a transfer, so that may be different.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykisses01247 View Post
thanks for the replies also are there bathrooms on the train and are they like plane bathrooms were you have like no privacy lol and also do you have to switch trains alot and is that a hassle like switching planes and is there layovers when you switch or do you get right on another train and also do you think it would be better to travle on train or plane if you have a sever social anxiety problem
There are bathrooms. It depends on the train, some are like airplane bathrooms, others are a little bigger. Not sure what you mean by no privacy?

As far as switching trains, it depends on where you are going, but on your suggested route yes, you'd likely have to make a switch. My guess is that there would be at least three train changes and several very long layovers on that route. It's probably going to take between 36-48 hours of total travel.

One possible option for part of your routing on the train would be to buy a sleeper compartment/roomette so that you won't be around others--this will give you a lot of privacy.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,686,361 times
A close family member has social anxiety, so I'm very familiar with how it manifests itself. SA can make travel an absolute nightmare!

If I had to pick train vs plane travel for my relative, I'd go with train. Airports tend to be more hustle/bustle than do train stations. Airport security checks are far more personally intrusive than anything one might encounter with Amtrak. On the train, it is far more likely that you'll be able to get a seat that you don't have to share with a stranger. And, as I said in my earlier post, if you find one car uncomfortable (perhaps it's too crowded), you can feel free to change to a different car.

Since people move between cars all the time, no one will be judging you or think it's odd that you're making the switch. Side note for those without SA: feeling "judged" is an overwhelming, ever-present thought for many SA people, that's why I mention it here.

All that being said, if your anxiety mandates that you get the travel over with as soon as possible, you'll probably need to do plane. Plane travel (especially navigating airports) might be far more uncomfortable but it's for a far shorter period of time.

For a long trip, like the one you've suggested, I like Annerk's idea of a sleeper car.

HTH.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,197,829 times
Train travel is sometimes like a movie that you really want to finish but there's lots of slow parts.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
A close family member has social anxiety, so I'm very familiar with how it manifests itself. SA can make travel an absolute nightmare!

If I had to pick train vs plane travel for my relative, I'd go with train. Airports tend to be more hustle/bustle than do train stations. Airport security checks are far more personally intrusive than anything one might encounter with Amtrak. On the train, it is far more likely that you'll be able to get a seat that you don't have to share with a stranger. And, as I said in my earlier post, if you find one car uncomfortable (perhaps it's too crowded), you can feel free to change to a different car.

Since people move between cars all the time, no one will be judging you or think it's odd that you're making the switch. Side note for those without SA: feeling "judged" is an overwhelming, ever-present thought for many SA people, that's why I mention it here.

All that being said, if your anxiety mandates that you get the travel over with as soon as possible, you'll probably need to do plane. Plane travel (especially navigating airports) might be far more uncomfortable but it's for a far shorter period of time.

For a long trip, like the one you've suggested, I like Annerk's idea of a sleeper car.

HTH.

thanks thats my delamia the time it takes and would i be able to handle it ot not lol i have no idea but i a afraid to try new things so i dont no what to do lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or