U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,592,236 times

Advertisements

I want to take a quick week vacation end of May to either Costa Rica or Dominican Republic. I want to keep a relaxed pace and manage to see all the important parts of the country, also want to do some snorkeling and don't want to deal with too much rain. With this in mind which of the two destinations do you think would be a better option? I'm leaning towards Dominican Republic.

I have read that this is the wet time for Costa Rica and a week may not be enough to see everything at a slower pace, also I heard the snorkeling is not that great in Costa Rica. Opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,066,822 times
I've been to both. The Dominican Republic is cheaper, but Costa Rica is definitely more exotic. I didn't do any snorkeling in CR, but I have to say that wild life over there is otherwise AMAZING. It also has very different climatic zones, unusual in a country to small, so you get incredible variety. There is the cloud forest (truly a thing to see), and turtle watching, and volcano hiking, and hot springs, and the best rafting trip I've ever had (which I made it a multi-day trip). Given a choice between the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica, I'd definitely go for Costa Rica. (Skip San Jose, though -- it's not among the glamorous capitals).

Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,014,596 times
Costa Rica for me. It is just the most stunning place , pristine rainforests perfect for hking and walking, fantastic ecosystem, wonderful snorkeling and diving and the fabulous wildlife. Eco-tourism is very popular in Costa Rica so a lot of places are really low impact and the environment is just so beautifully preserved.

Costa Rica is one of my favourite places on Earth because it offers such accessible exoticism , and such a sense of escapism yet is so safe and so beautiful. It has so much to offer and unique attractions and IMO will create life-long memories.

A third of the country has been designated as "protected" and as such is absolutely pristine. The cloud Forest and the Parque Nacional Braulio Carrillo is just magnificent. The Flora and Fauna will leave you breathless , from sea turtles to strawberry-red Macaws. Costa Rica has the richest wildlife in terms of variety of species of anywhere on earth.

No contest for me anyway.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 PM

thanks guys, Costa Rica is definitely high on my list of places to visit but i'm thinking end of May is poor timing in terms of weather. Also, I will have 9 days.. 2 traveling and 7 full days. I'm not sure if this is long enough to cover much ground given that it may rain a few days resulting in downtime.

I checked the weather right now in San Jose and it says thunderstorms for the whole week, yikes, and it's only April.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,367 times
We went to Costa Rica in May of 2002 and it usually rained for an hour each day, then cleared off again. The plants and trees were just beginning to bloom and were very pretty. We snorkeled on the Pacific side, Papagayo Bay. There were 2 guides, another couple and the 3 of us. We saw octopus, turtles, starfish, sea squirts and lots of other neat things. The water on the Pacific is just as warm as the Caribbean because you are so close to the Equator. The visibility was not quite as good, but still great. We had on the resort grounds wild howler monkeys, parrots, iguanas, coatimundis and huge crabs. I highly recommend a trip to Arenal Volcano. Costa Rica is still my favorite vacation. Haven't been to DR yet, must go so I can compare.....

Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,175,993 times
DR can be very exotic as well. There are many little spots in DR that aren't really mainstream yet. You have to know locals to get to them. Honestly for people visiting DR I would advise them to stay away from the packaged hotel experiences. They are a little overrated IMO. It is a very small country, but there are a lot of little spots that aren't well known that are very interesting and beautiful. Like most Latin countries though, a few dollars and a little Spanish goes a long, long way.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 PM

36 posts, read 108,868 times
I will say go with Dominican Republic, Punta Cana is one of the top to visit, however, if you want to be in peace and relaxing I think probably you should visit La Romana but it is a bit expensive. Try to book a hotel thats suitable for honeymoons and there is a little more privacy and less young crow. As far as safety, that would not be an issue is pretty safe.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 PM

I wound up going to DR for about 10 days. Spent 3 days at the beach in Punta Cana, 1 day in Santo Domingo and 6 days in Sosua/Cabarete. The most interesting experience was doing the 27 charcos tour on the Rio Damajagua...what a rush!

I loved DR, would definitely return there some time in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel