U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your airplane seating preference and why?
Window - I like to be left alone 22 17.32%
Window - I like to look out the window and enjoy the view as much as possible 57 44.88%
Window - other 10 7.87%
Middle - I hate the aisle and the window 1 0.79%
Middle - if it means sitting next to a spouse/friend/family member, I prefer it 3 2.36%
Middle - other 0 0%
Aisle - I hate to see out the window, I'm afraid of flying/heights 1 0.79%
Aisle - I like to be able to get up whenever possible; maybe claustrophobic; access to go to bathroom 32 25.20%
Aisle - other 19 14.96%
I have no seating preference whatsoever, wherever they seat me is fine 4 3.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:33 PM

39,585 posts, read 47,836,774 times

Advertisements

I plan for emergencies, either get in the exit row or an aisle near the exits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,527,168 times
Window. I like to see the purty lights an' the fluffy clouds!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:44 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,756,075 times
Window seat unless I am over or just behind the wing in which case I would rather be on the aisle.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,687 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Upper deck window seat of 747-100 (5 rows of seats, = 10 total passengers (+ crew) + LARGE side storage for propping feet to sleep (nice to stretch out on 15 hr flights). Singapore or Thai airlines preferred (GREAT customer service).

Crew rest area in rear of cabin so kids can sleep / play in there when no crew is occupying it,

those were the 'good-ole-days', lately... SWA cattle car, be happy if you get a seat and don't have a 48"'r sit next (on-top) of you,

Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,212,426 times
I like the window seat ALL the way in the back row on the right side of the plane, why I don't know but I like being back there, is the plane crashes i'll be the last one to die, I don't have any stupid people bumping my chair and I dont have to see the wing move and make noise.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 AM

4,977 posts, read 4,526,634 times
I prefer the aisle - that way I am assured that I will have at least one side of my body free and clear. Also, it's nice to get up a stretch without disturbing anyone. If I have the entire row, I'll sit in a window seat.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,850,942 times
My answer is actually window/right by the wing... cuz I think that's nearest the emergency exit & I love looking out the window even though flying is very unnerving.

Kate

Old 10-10-2009, 08:41 AM

25,673 posts, read 24,322,132 times
If given a choice, the aisle seat and prefer close to the front so I can get up anytime I want to. But otherwise dont mind where ever they put me.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:05 AM

11 posts, read 16,412 times
I also choose a window seat to enjoy the view.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:13 PM

351 posts, read 1,418,675 times
I'm also a window seat buff... bulkhead if at all possible, so no one's seat is cramping "my space". I also hate people climbing over me all the time, and since I rarely get up during trips, I don't feel like I'm bothering the other folks in those seats.

I agree with the upper deck, window bulkhead of a 747 - now THAT is living!

I've also seen some of the most incredible scenery from 30,000 feet... have you ever watched the sun look like it's racing along a river below you? Taken that last look at the sky above the white cotton candy clouds, before you once again come down to earth? Two of my most memorable views(not necessarily favorite flights) were:

1. Flying back from Europe in the Spring, it was a crystal clear day over the North Atlantic. You could see the blue blue blue Atlantic below... and then suddenly, these tiny bright turquoise "jewels" sparkling against the darker blue... they were some of the larger icebergs dotting the seascape. I was astounded.

2. Not so pleasant was my first trip over the Pole to get from Chicago to Hong Kong. I had a nice window bulkhead seat on the upper deck of a 747, and it was about 3:30 in the afternoon. I had occasionally slid open the window cover to look down and see if I could see anything. Later in the flight I went back to get a soda from the steward station, and there was someone that was very sarcastically commenting about the idiot up front that kept opening the window to look for reindeer or something. When I tried to make light and said it was still early afternoon and this was my first over-the-Pole flight and I wanted to see what was down there, the person was extremely rude. Wow... .what a way someone's seriously crappy humor can take the joy out of a moment!

Unfortunately, none of this makes up for the horrendous airport experiences now, so I try to avoid flying as much as possibly anymore! (Try explaining to the security folks that a "solid stick" deodorant is not a liquid!!! That was one of my favorites.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or