U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Sounds like now is the best time to get some great deals on trips to Mexico! lol
You would think..tried booking my exact trip to see if the price dropped..not 1 red cent but it was agreat price to begin with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,260,195 times
Quote:
Sounds like now is the best time to get some great deals on trips to Mexico! lol
As njkate said, you would think so. I'm still surfing for a condo in Cabo or somewhere and other spots in Mexico have been on our list of possibilities. They are still completely booked for anything larger than a 1 bedroom. Cancun now has a few available as they did not have anything available even yesterday. Other spots around the country and the Carribbean are filled up as well. People are still traveling.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,737,621 times
If you go to TripAdvisor, you'll see tons of people cancelling, even if their trip is months out --- ridiculous if you ask me.

Quote:
So people are cancelling and more seats are becoming available? It must be this swine flu thing.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
If you go to TripAdvisor, you'll see tons of people cancelling, even if their trip is months out --- ridiculous if you ask me.
No kidding.

Am I the only one seeing the overhype in this whole thing? And yes I know this strain is different in that it mutated the swine virus and the human influenze virus together. Even soo, let's put this into perspective. Every year we KNOW that the flu is going to spread. Every year we are offered vaccines that the MAJORITY of the time actually work. However, hundreds of thousands of citizens here in the U.S. refuse to get one. We always here the same thing, "The only time I ever got the flu vaccine I came down with the flu". So they skip getting it knowing that the majority of the time it works and will PREVENT one from getting the flu. Every year we KNOW that it is a good possibility that hundreds of people will die from the flu here in the U.S. Yet they don't get vaccinated for it. Now all of a sudden we have THIS flu strain and people are freaking out. There are only 40+ cases in the ENTIRE COUNTRY confirmed. We live in communities with more people than that walking around carrying the human influenza every winter and don't think twice about it. Every year THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people come down with the flu. So here we are with this one and only a VERY SMALL percentage of the population is even infected and we are freaking out. I'm sure that in some areas of the world where people live in a lot closer conditions like Mexico City they probably have over a 100 people die every year from the common flu. It never makes the headlines. Yet this does. Sad thing is the people so freaked out about it will be the ones that call their doctors demanding tamiflu to try and KEEP from getting it. Tamiflu will NOT keep one from getting it and is ONLY good AFTER one shows symptoms of the flu. Yet this over usage of things such as tamiflu could possibly make this flu strain resistant to ANY antiboitic.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,149,323 times
I do think that people are going a little overboard with the Swine Flu panic. On the other hand, there are a few ways this virus is different than the normal seasonal flu. And if the CDC recommends against visiting a certain area, I'm inclined to listen. They're asking nicely at this point, so it's your choice to ignore them. Just be informed. Swine influenza and Severe Cases of Respiratory Illness in Mexico | CDC Travelers' Health

Old 04-28-2009, 04:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,737,621 times
kansas sky: Thing about ignoring them is this, many of us do not prefer to flush our money down the drain because the U.S. is overhyped about every little thing (I say this from traveling to many other countries and seeing how others live for a change). This strain is different. And so are the flus passed around every year. Hence we have different flu shots every year. I'm glad they are asking nicely, however, unless they will refund my fees and money already spent, they can continue asking. Funny, I'm thinking if they are asking it must not be that bad.

momof2: Exactly my thoughts. Same w/ the overtreatment/over prescribing of Tamiflu. Kind of like killing roaches. They actually mutate to defend themselves against our poisons. Taking Tamiflu as a preventative measure is so not recommended.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 AM

Last nights news here reported that American Airlines will not charge to cancel or reschedule someones flight to Mexico IF they booked BEFORE April 24 and they are traveling BEFORE May 16.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:57 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
Getting worried now my non stop Continental flight...90 passengers have canceled out this flight
I don't want to get to the airport on Saturday and find out they canceled the flight
I'm hoping the 5:30 AM flight which is booked solid and has a stop in ouston..I hope anyone on this flight going all the way to Cabo is bumped to the 8:30 non stop freeing up seats for those just wanting to go to Houston

Hey can hope, right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or