U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,747,597 times

Advertisements

Adjusting seats is easy, but changing overhead bins is pretty much unheard of. The 190 is already known for having plenty of head room. Are you sure that your bag wasn't just over stuffed for that flight?

I did some searching, and couldn't find anything about bin mods. ( Scratch that. There might be something to it.)

This is from the Wikipedia page.

"In July 2005, JetBlue announced that it would be upgrading the size of its seatback TVs that provide customers with DirecTV programming. All new aircraft are being equipped with the larger seatback TVs, and older aircraft are being retrofitted. The E190s are all equipped with XM satellite radio, and the A320s are being XM equipped when each aircraft's TV screens are being upgraded. In addition, the airline aims to increase the size of the overhead bins on all aircraft. Unlike the A320 fleet that JetBlue uses where the flight attendant has to read the safety briefing, the E190 fleet uses a pre-recorded audio safety briefing to accompany the live demonstration."

If they followed through with this, it's possible that the plane you were on recently could be one of the few that haven't been yet. Major mods are done during overhaul. The newest planes most likely haven't gone through any heavy maintenance checks yet. So, I guess it's possible that you were on a newer plane with smaller bins. I still find it strange to change bins from what they ordered at the factory.

Last edited by South Range Family; 05-31-2009 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM

563 posts, read 2,323,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Every single flight I've taken with JetBlue has been on the 190. I fly in the last three rows. I use them for a majority of my flights. except for the seats being readjusted I can adjust to a different carry on (I don't check in anything). The only odd thing is that I've never flown out of JFK on time (Wednesdays flight left 20 minutes late), but for some reason I always get to my destination early. I guess they now build in a lateness window into each flight.
You will never fly out of JFK on time, LOL. I couldn't agree with that statement more except you got out in 20 minutes. Thats golden. I usually fly the 9PM departure to Jacksonville, Florida and on a good night, we are airborne by 9:45pm. I have waited until 11pm to take off. In fact, a few weeks ago, the flight did not get in to Jacksonville until 330am. Thankfully, I was not on that flight, although I have been on ones that are arriving around 2ish. 330am takes the cake though Night flight departures out of JFK, it seems they give preferential treatment to the international flights. Many times, I have had the pilot come on and say something to the effect, "We are currently 52 for departure, look out your window, see that long line of planes, thats the line we are at the end of...." Something to that effect. As long as the tv is working, I do not mind as I can find something to pass the time. As for the arrival at the destination early, what you said, and what I have experienced as well, always reminds me of Seinfeld talking about how pilots talk about making up time in the air by "going a little faster". "Why not go faster all the time..."

Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 AM

11,936 posts, read 21,561,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
As for the arrival at the destination early, what you said, and what I have experienced as well, always reminds me of Seinfeld talking about how pilots talk about making up time in the air by "going a little faster". "Why not go faster all the time..."
Because going a little faster burns exponentially more amounts of fuel, something that hurts when you are already burning 800 gallons an hour like the A320 does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or