U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,592,139 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was going to Turkey, has anyone been there before what was the experience like?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,404,345 times
Turkey has a lot of phenomenal historical sites, very interesting. However don't be fooled by a lot of talk about it being where east meets west, it is a very heavily muslim country, make no mistake.

We went there a couple of years ago with the intention of browsing around for ten days. We hightailed it out after just two days. Took the ferry to Greece which I like a thousand times better and is cheaper as well.

We went to Greece in April 2007 and loved every minute of it. So on our next trip in October (both off season for tourists) we decided to do its' neighbor Turkey. Like I said, we stayed two days, just long enough how to figure how to get the bus and ferry and leave. Ended up with most delicious unplanned vacation on the island of Rhodes, which belongs to Greece. I loved loved loved Rhodes (who wouldn't?).

I'd go to Greece once a month but I'd never go back to Turkey by choice.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:05 PM

What was so bad about turkey?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,719,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
What was so bad about turkey?
Azoria is right. Turkey is GREAT. It's the ex-Roman empire. I'd still love to call it Constantinople and not Istanbul

But it's not big of a deal. Just don't get carried away and kneel down to pray when within the Hagia Sophia. They might arrest you.

Caution. That's it! And the visit can be a pleasant experience.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:32 AM

3,539 posts, read 5,509,513 times
I would rate turkey one of the best countries i have ever visited, and i have being to lots. I love the history the culture the beer the food and every thing in between. Some of the coastal cities can be quite expensive and and very tourist not too far removed from any other european tourist city. Head inland or away from the agean coast however and you will get into a much more traditional muslim culture (and its way cheaper as well)

I went as a back packer and stayed mostly in places outide the main coastal tourist resorts, avioiding places such as Kusadasi, Bodrum izmir and Mamaris which i found extrodinarly expensive when passing through them is transit. I found beatiful almost deserted beaches, un excavated roman rurins and some very interesting geography.

Its not for everyone however, i loved waking up to the morning call to prayer, pushing off the multitude of carpet sellers (their very easy compared to their couterparts in egypt and morocco), and bargining for everything, its all part of the experiene. If you find thoes sorts of things annoying however you might not like the place at all.

Respect their culture and go with an open mind, oh in no way should you say anything bad about their religion. An isralie bloke in my hostel was bashed up by a bunch of thugs once for making fun of the call to prayer.

Oh and if your female, remember to cover up!

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-05-2009 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 AM

905 posts, read 3,078,705 times
I have been to Turkiye 2X's and loved it! I would go back in a heart beat. It is a great cheap/inexpensive vacation. There is so much to see and do. One negative might be that it is such a huge country getting from one place to another can be very time consuming. There is frequent bus service on nice buses all over the country. There are 2 discount airlines in Turkiye Pegasus and Atlas Jet.

You can pretty much see Istanbul in a couple of days. I agree that the carpet salesmen are like a gnat around you head that will not go away. I found out "no thank you" in Turkish, is "Hiyer Takishir" worked like a charm. Just be prepared to repeat it over and over. If you are into beaches and primitive, be sure to go to Olympos. I met some awesome folks and had a blast the 5 nights I was there. If you go stay at Saban Guesthouse. Great hosts! Another cheap option is taking a Blue Cruise. They are on Gulets a small sailing boat. The one I was on slept 10, but there are larger ones. It ended up costing about $45 a day and included meals and beers were $1.

Marmaris and Bodrum are resort towns and very beautiful although very touristy. I still have not been to Pummakale or Cappadocia. I think most tourists hit at least one of these natural attractions.

I say go for it!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 AM

4,172 posts, read 6,015,894 times
I was there with my family for over a week in 2008. It was one of the best vacations. I think if you want to go to a westernized place with western religion, Turkey is the wrong place. The east-meets-west thingy applies only to a few big cities. You go there because you want to experience something different. Istanbul is an interesting city - you could easily spend 4 days there. Also look up Cappadocia area in central Turkey - it has underground (ancient) mini-cities, fastastic geology, canyons, etc. I recall the Turkish govt has some websites on this. Take a balloon ride over the various geological formations. Remember, you may be surprised with what you see outside Istanbul because their tourism industry is not very good at advertising. We found the people to be very friendly and had zero problems.

Last edited by calmdude; 05-05-2009 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM

Could you be arrested for anything, also what did the guy say to the muslims, that got him bashed up.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,678,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Could you be arrested for anything, also what did the guy say to the muslims, that got him bashed up.
turkey is great, regardless of whatever the one PP had said about only being in country TWO days (?1!?).

i spent 4 months in turkey (izmir)--different, but i enjoyed my time there. my turkish landlord was very nice and my neighbors accepted me as part of their family.

please do not show any disrespect towards the country's founder, ataturk. that's the big one. that can cause big time problems for you.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,710,712 times
They're a bunch of radical nationalists and are itching to arrest anyone who even is critical of their nation. I know of many people who were arrested in that filthy nation for "insulting Turkishness" or whatever stupid name they have for the crime of being anything short of nationalistic. Human rights in that nation are limited and minorities are oppressed.

You better believe the person in this thread who said not to insult Ataturk, because being American, British, or a tourist from whatever nation won't help you if you do that. They'll throw you in jail and you will spend a few nights since their legal system is archaic and backwards, and since they really don't care about giving you rights. I know people who have lived there and people who are American citizens that have gone there and been harrassed. I don't know why so many people rave about it even though they know how it is there and that they were lucky to not be harrassed, or they know that they had to suck up to the Turks.

It IS an amazing nation, however, because a lot of the remnants of the great cultures that were there before the Turks are still there. Of course, many of them are gone, also, because the Turks are so stupid they literally smashed and demolished most of the ancient Churches and Cross-Stones in Eastern Turkey, since they have no brains or sense of culture or history. The only thing that saved the few ruins they have left from being demolished is that one day they realized they can make money from preserving them. If not for that, you can bet they'd clear out those ruins as well.

Go and have fun and see for yourself what a backwards, ignorant nation it is, and see some of the natural beauty and how they ruin it, and see some of the ancient sites they've ruined also.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 05-06-2009 at 12:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or