U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,573,258 times

Advertisements

I need to rent a car from Denver airport the end of July. I do not see anything cheaper that around $400, which I feel is too much (but I don't really have a choice). I did see on Hotwire the cheapest, around $300, but it is non refundable and I read a story that a person had reserved a car through hotwire (from which Co, not sure), but when they got there was told they didnt have a car for her. She had gotten screwed. not that that is neccessarily Hotwire's fault, but makes me hesitant.
Anyway, any suggestions how to find cheaper car rental or is everyone seeing high prices all over? Thank you in advance, I would just feel more comfortable knowing I tried Everything before paying $400.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 AM

9,718 posts, read 5,764,037 times
When renting a car I always use Costco.com Found them always to be less expensive then any other site.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I need to rent a car from Denver airport the end of July. I do not see anything cheaper that around $400, which I feel is too much (but I don't really have a choice). I did see on Hotwire the cheapest, around $300, but it is non refundable and I read a story that a person had reserved a car through hotwire (from which Co, not sure), but when they got there was told they didnt have a car for her. She had gotten screwed. not that that is neccessarily Hotwire's fault, but makes me hesitant.
Anyway, any suggestions how to find cheaper car rental or is everyone seeing high prices all over? Thank you in advance, I would just feel more comfortable knowing I tried Everything before paying $400.

Provide dates and what you are trying to to book.

Priceline and Hotwire do a good job. However, a lot of people do not take time to read the terms of conditions which are generally that reservations are NON-cancellable and non-changable.

Over on Fatwallet, there are a lot of rental codes posted. Take a look over there.

BTW, Denver is one of the more expensive rental markets from my experience.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks Bella, do you need to be a member? i will check it out. Jlawrence- thanks you too, July 28-Aug 4, shooting for either economy or compact, not the lowest one, the 2nd lowest.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
I would book the best deal that you can find now that is cancellable (no Priceline or Hotwire).

I would go over to the travel section of Fatwallet and read about some of the codes and educate yourself.

Then I would sign up for all e-mail specials for the major car rental agencies.

After you are done with that, check about once a week.

You will probably get something for about $300 closer to the date of the trip. That was my experience last year when I took my nephew out hiking in Colorado.

If you are still not doing better 3-4 days prior to the trip, try Hotwire and Priceline. Never use those services more than a couple of days prior to leaving.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Thanks Jlawrence! I appreciate the advice.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,447,720 times
Don't shy away from Enterprise Car Rental just cuz they are not located right at the airport.( in many cases)

On a flight to Atlanta, I compared rates and Enterprise was the lowest, but I was hesitant cuz they were not located at the airpor.

I relented and was glad I did as they "picked me up" and their office was located in a great location that I had easy access to the direction I was heading.

In hindsight, the amount of traffic driving I saved, I would have picked them again even if they were not the cheapest.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:04 PM

9,419 posts, read 10,178,850 times
I would go to enterprise .com and reserve a car direct from them. I have always found their agents to be young college grads with business degrees who can get you in and out quickly.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Thanks Marmac and thrifty. i never considered an off airport rental, thinking it'd be a big hassle. I actually reserved a car last night thru AAA and hertz for just over $307, midsize. I will call rental counter today directly to confirm and double check price (so i have no surprises). I didnt need a credit card to pay yet, so if there's an issue today, i'll back out. if all's good, i'll pay today to secure. I will still look into enterprise and others today just to double check.
thanks everyone again.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,388 times
stoymonkey, we are renting a car from Hertz in Oct. for Ft. Lauderdale. I spoke with a representative. There is a $100 difference by picking up the car at their off site location. $20.00 cab ride, 20 mins. from the Airport. $420 at the airport, $310, off site. We are going off site. I have heard horror stories about Hotwire and they get your money when you book. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel