U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,264 posts, read 7,276,906 times
Reputation: 5943

Advertisements

I can read a map like the back of my hand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,147 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I can read a map like the back of my hand!
Some people actually use their hand as a model for a map of Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
 
4,415 posts, read 4,066,723 times
Reputation: 3556
I agree that too many people rely on a GPS which can put you on a bunch on unnecessary turns and many times makes your trip longer. It does amaze me the amount of grown adults that cant read a map or even spot there own house on a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,147 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
It doesn't surprise me that many adults don't know how to read a map. People will learn what they are interested in. Sadly, maps isn't on the list of things that alot of people want to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 19,351,483 times
Reputation: 9919
Heck, some of my best trucking war stories involve directions (or lack thereof...) My favorites are the shippers or consignees that have no idea about truck routes, bridge/overpass clearances or hazardous cargo routes... (In all fairness, I usually have better luck if I contact the Shipping/Receiving Dept.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 19,351,483 times
Reputation: 9919
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Some people actually use their hand as a model for a map of Michigan.
Yep, I've been up in the thumb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
 
702 posts, read 2,062,761 times
Reputation: 649
Hey, great thread. I think last year's Miss South Carolina pretty much summed up the current problem of reading maps. "Americans can't identify the US on a map because they don't have maps..."

It's like the year 2505 Idiocracy happening today.

I love maps. Especially old, handcrafted maps. When I moved to a new city two years ago the first thing I did was look at the city grid map in the phone book and study it. Within a week I was getting around OK. With that said, I was looking for a local business and couldn't find it. I called them on the phone and asked "which corner of the intersection are you on?". I couldn't get a straight answer - I was asked where I was coming from, etc. No comprehension of NW, SW, NE, SE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,147 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Hey, great thread. I think last year's Miss South Carolina pretty much summed up the current problem of reading maps. "Americans can't identify the US on a map because they don't have maps..."

It's like the year 2505 Idiocracy happening today.

I love maps. Especially old, handcrafted maps. When I moved to a new city two years ago the first thing I did was look at the city grid map in the phone book and study it. Within a week I was getting around OK. With that said, I was looking for a local business and couldn't find it. I called them on the phone and asked "which corner of the intersection are you on?". I couldn't get a straight answer - I was asked where I was coming from, etc. No comprehension of NW, SW, NE, SE.
I love maps too. I like reading and studying them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 05:16 AM
CBB
 
Location: Munich + FL, 32082
481 posts, read 2,042,336 times
Reputation: 389
I personally know many Europeans who are clueless as well. It's not only an American problem.

I love maps, always did. If I had to live alone on an island and could only bring one book, I'd choose an atlas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 AM
 
14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Reputation: 20076
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
I personally know many Europeans who are clueless as well. It's not only an American problem.

I love maps, always did. If I had to live alone on an island and could only bring one book, I'd choose an atlas.
A few years back, I met a teacher from Frankfurt, Germany on the Travel Forum on CompuServe. This teacher had five weeks of vacation a year and she use all her vacation to travel to the US. At least once a year, she would drop by my place in Cleveland to visit me.

One time, I asked her where she had been in Cleveland. She went out to her car and brought in a Cleveland street map. She had highlighted all the streets that she had driven on her several trips to the city and basically had the good and bad areas of town mapped out. Her designations were very accurate. We jokingly stated that she had an invasion plan.

Since everyone here is a mapophile, what do you think of those DeLorme state atlases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top