Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

I don't even attempt to read a map.
I don't have a GPS system for my car yet so I just stick to printing off directions from Mapquest and hoping for the best.

I remember leaning in middle school how to read one but I've since forgotten that skill.
I wish there was a short little class that I could take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Default Map reading for survival

My mom taught us to read a map before Jack and Jill.

You would think it was so she had well rounded children....wrong.

My Dad loved to travel but was terrible about reading maps and had NO sense of direction. She taught us just in case he really got us lost, we could find the way home ourselves.

Seriously...this man drove around the Pentagon 5 times because he couldn't find the exit....same with Tampa's airport.

Anyhoo....I still love maps. Since we got the motorcycle, I've been put in charge of mapping where we go. I've mapped out from Orlando to Mt Airy NC without once being on the interstate.

I also keep an Atlas beside my chair so if I hear about a place I don't know where it is, I can find it!

I do like my GPS, but mainly use it to look up stores, restaurants or gas stations in towns or cities I'm not familiar with. I think she's getting a little sarcastic with every "recalculating"

Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Speaking of needing help with maps, it's actually MD 68 and I-68.

Just kidding about the "needing help", of course.

The sign is right before exit 18 going westbound on I-70, and I've often thought the same thing as you. Do people really not understand the difference between interstate and state routes? The interstate sign is so distinctive in color and shape.

Then again, most states do not duplicate route numbers. For instance, if I-95 and US 1 go through a state, that state will usually not have a "State Route 95" or "State Route 1".
Thanks. pcity! Guess it was a longer night at work than I thought it was... And my memory isn't as sharp as it was when I was long haul. I should've actually looked at my map instead of relying on a faulty memory.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default Tomtom GPS is killing me

I live in Europe.
Traveling with a GPS is wonderful, I rarely get lost.
That said, I miss my maps.
Finally bought a great road atlas so I don't miss out on those wonderful towns around the area.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Finally bought a great road atlas so I don't miss out on those wonderful towns around the area.
I think this is a good point. GPS is great at taking you from point A to point B, but it's not good about showing you what there is to offer along the way.

Just this weekend, I was road-tripping and wanted to find a nice picnic spot by the water. So I looked on the map for a green spot near a blue spot along the road I was traveling on.

I can't really think of a way I'd achieve this quickly on a GPS. Assuming it has a big database of POIs, I could search for "park" but then I would have to individually check if any of those were near a body of water. Plus the GPS can search around my current location but not along the route I'll be taking. I guess I could manually look for a green spot near a blue spot on the GPS map display, but I would take way more time scrolling up and down on the GPS when I could easily eyeball my location on a map.

Also, for me, navigation is one of the fun challenges of a trip, and GPS takes that away completely. I like having Google Maps on my phone in case I get lost (which never happens, of course ) or want to search for a business, but I don't see the need to have a separate GPS for the car. I do have a GPS for hiking but that's for fun, to map places I've gone, rather than something to rely on out of necessity.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I think this is a good point. GPS is great at taking you from point A to point B, but it's not good about showing you what there is to offer along the way.

Just this weekend, I was road-tripping and wanted to find a nice picnic spot by the water. So I looked on the map for a green spot near a blue spot along the road I was traveling on.

I can't really think of a way I'd achieve this quickly on a GPS. Assuming it has a big database of POIs, I could search for "park" but then I would have to individually check if any of those were near a body of water. Plus the GPS can search around my current location but not along the route I'll be taking. I guess I could manually look for a green spot near a blue spot on the GPS map display, but I would take way more time scrolling up and down on the GPS when I could easily eyeball my location on a map.

Also, for me, navigation is one of the fun challenges of a trip, and GPS takes that away completely. I like having Google Maps on my phone in case I get lost (which never happens, of course ) or want to search for a business, but I don't see the need to have a separate GPS for the car. I do have a GPS for hiking but that's for fun, to map places I've gone, rather than something to rely on out of necessity.
AMEN, pcity! Skillful use of a map will replace technology ANY day in my book! I have a story that illustrates why dispatchers who can't read maps OR computerized fuel stop directories are dangerous, but I'll be nice...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
i think this is one of the things that should be included in the geography classes starting in junior high school . I think that gps is one of the worst things that was ever created cause it tends to make you loose your sense of direction instead of improve it . I definately think it should be taught in school .
I agree. While the convenience can be helpful in some situations, I rely on my own natural skills for the most part.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
I've always been a map junkie. I love just perusing maps and thinking about all the places. I also hate to get lost, so I study maps before going anywhere. I give excellent directions, too. People always compliment me on the directions I give.

I get simultaneously amused and annoyed when I VOLUNTEER to give people directions and they refuse. ESPECIALLY someone who is being PAID to know where they are going, like taxis or delivery people. Here's a true story from a few weeks ago (names have been changed to protect... me):

The night before:
Me to Taxi Company: Please send a taxi to my address at 8:00am tomorrow. I have an 11:00 flight. Do you need directions to my house?

Taxi Company: No, we know how to get there.
8:10am the next day:
Me to Taxi Company: Um, where is the taxi? He was supposed to be here at 8. It's 8:10 now!

Taxi Company: Um, he got lost. He's on the way. I'm on the phone with him now. Um, which way does he go from Main and Broad?
I gave directions. Taxi showed up at about 8:20 . Thank goodness I had built "taxi gets lost" time into my schedule. I made the flight.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Sad, isn't it? I've tried repeatedly to teach my wife and kids for years but they weren't interested and now the GPS is the answer to everything. My son get's turned around all the time on our land in upstate NY. I won't let him carry his stupid GPS in thw woods, I gave him a compass, map and instructions but he doesn't bother. He's now 23 and still doesn't want to know!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:37 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
Personally, I just never bothered to learn. Hell, my HS didn't even offer Geography! Thankfully I have my trusty TomTom to cover for my lack of map reading skills. Hasn't let me down yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel