Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,715,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Momof2DFW; True story- I stopped to talk to my fleet manager when a load brought me past my company's headquarters one June day. I sat down next to my VERY busy Fleet Manager as she answered call after call. During one call, I looked over at the young man working in the cubicle next to her. I heard him talking about an email he'd just recieved from a driver. The driver was hauling a load from Richmond, VA to Denver, CO. He pulled out his folding Rand McNally Map of the United States and I heard him say: "I-70 is a restricted route, so I'd better route him across I-80" Our company will not route drivers west of Denver on I-70 in the WINTER. But this was July and he was not hauling a HAZMAT load...
LOL!!!!! Sad, very sad. Even worse......... the worst weather conditions that I've ever experienced were on I-70 but IN KANSAS! The highway in Colorado all the way to Glenwood Springs was clear. I'm guessing he did not know what "restricted" meant. I hope the driver on the other end actually knew that I-70 was the better route? Yet, he was emailing someone else for directions....... You know the old saying, "the blind leading the blind".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM

159 posts, read 530,708 times
I LOVE maps! I think they're interesting. All my friends always ask me for directions, and tell me I know the place like the back of my hand.

But guess who's ALWAYS stuck driving on long roadtrips?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 PM

159 posts, read 530,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
I LOVE maps! I think they're interesting. All my friends always ask me for directions, and tell me I know the place like the back of my hand.

But guess who's ALWAYS stuck driving on long roadtrips?
Oh and it's not that hard at all to read a map or know what exitto take off the interstate. The signs don't lie...most of the time lol

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM

52,590 posts, read 47,754,475 times
Default Status Quo Can't Cut It

Quote:
I'm appalled at the lack of map-reading skills we Americans have... Even truck drivers don't do the proper trip planning they should. I've always enjoyed looking at maps and, as a kid, I dreamed of visiting the faraway places I'd visit when I was grown. If I had a dollar for averey car that passes my truck where the passenger has an AAA Trip-Pak, I'd be rich!

I'll join you on that, Crew Chief. I've always loved reading maps since childhood, and it's practically an addiction for me. The problem is that people in our nation don't think anything's relevant to them anymore, and they don't feel the need. There's nothing wrong with people helping others, don't get me wrong, but there is something big-time wrong with the attitudes of so many Americans that one has to wonder "How in the heck can they survive while being content with knowing less?". We've got lots of great places to see in our great land. What a tragedy that people miss out on great things when they can't even discover them for themselves.

First, bad English skills, and now, poor geographical knowledge. Welcome to America.

But there is a solution.........

Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,608,708 times
Europe isn't any better. Last time I was there almost every car had an in-dash GPS. We in the US are still in the new toy phase. Soon paper map usage will be as common as using a VCR (try to go find a new one w/o a DVD built in).

Old 05-13-2009, 03:47 AM

16,562 posts, read 17,332,581 times
I recently drove to a house in a rural part of England which I was unfamiliar with.

I've got a built in satnav and I took my wife's hand held unit as well.

At a roundabout near to our destination one satnav told me to go one way, the handheld another.

Both were wrong!

I got out the map and found my way there.

Oh- and did I mention the time a satnav system told me to immediately turn right?

I was in France driving parallel to the River Seine at the time.

Last edited by Jezer; 05-13-2009 at 03:59 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,832,495 times
My passion as a teen was to spend hours browsing the gorgeous National Geographic World Atlas and I'm still much engrossed in maps and atlases.
However the modern technology like GPS /satnav leaves me cold, I'd rather use a good old fashioned compass indicating the directions : N-S-E-W, as long as you know how to read Latitudes/Longitudes it's a tremendous help in orientation.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:34 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,481,977 times
Need proof that we Americans need help with maps? On Westbound I-70 just west of Frederick, MD is a sign:

"The next exit is MD 68. For I-68, stay on I-70"

Last edited by Crew Chief; 05-15-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,196,462 times
Its because some people in this country don't have maps such as south Africa, the Iraq, such as and we should help the south African countries and the Iraq so we can build a better future.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,347,498 times
Quote:
Need proof that we Americans need help with maps? On Westbound I-70 just west of Frederick, MD is a sign:

"The next exit is MD 66. For I-66, stay on I-70"
Speaking of needing help with maps, it's actually MD 68 and I-68.

Just kidding about the "needing help", of course.

The sign is right before exit 18 going westbound on I-70, and I've often thought the same thing as you. Do people really not understand the difference between interstate and state routes? The interstate sign is so distinctive in color and shape.

Then again, most states do not duplicate route numbers. For instance, if I-95 and US 1 go through a state, that state will usually not have a "State Route 95" or "State Route 1".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel