U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 10,292 times

Advertisements

I would like to take a road trip in July with my husband, 2 teenagers, 1 boy & 1 girl, starting in Charleston, SC and ending possibly in upstate NY or Prince Edward Island in Canada. Can anyone give suggestions of places to stop along the way?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,804,625 times
In the summer of 07, we drove from Va Beach to Ft Lauderdale and back. In the summer of 08 we drove from Va Beach to Bar Harbor, ME - so we did the whole east coast in 1 year exactly (twice!) and we did it with our 16 year old son.

They were both very different trips - the drive South was so much easier - 95 is a dream going south from VA. However, the drive North was much harder. Traffic is much worse and toll roads after toll roads.

Assuming that you have seen most of the drive from Charleston to at least the VA border, I can give you some ideas from there.

Busch Gardens and Williamsburg, VA. Even the teenagers will like Wmbg. Busch Gardens is the most beautiful theme park in the US for good reason. It is shady in much of the park with alot of landscaping (nevermind the great rides).

Washington, DC. The great thing about DC is all the museums are FREE (unlike most of the rest of the US)!! Air and Space Museum and the Smithsonian are the classics.

Maybe Philadelphia? Or you could go the Eastern Shore route and avoid some traffic, maybe a stop at Ocean City, MD or Rehobeth Beach, DE.

New York City - Personally my least favorite, but everyone needs to go there at least once to see Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Bldg.
Caution - this whole area surrounding NYC (including suburbs) is a driving nightmare. Do not attempt this route at night or during rush hour. At 11:00 pm on a Sunday night the traffic was crazy, it was hard to read the map and there are a million exits with drivers speeding by.

I really suggest heading to Canada (I think you need a passport though) vs upstate NY. Stop in Boston or NH and head to Maine - it is a beautiful state. Drive the coast, stop in cute towns, get out on the water, eat lobster and enjoy the beautiful (much cooler) weather. I will say that Maine is pricey. Their tourist season is only 2 mo long, so hotels were high in my opinion.

Oh, going a slightly different route (more westerly) I enjoy Gettysburg and Lancaster (PA Dutch Country), PA.

I love planning road trips!! This year we are flying to Las Vegas and road tripping throughout Arizona!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,574,086 times
If you can fit in Chimney Rock in Asheville NC and Luray Caverns in Virginia they are both spectacular.

Then again, if you are from SC you may have already been to Chimney Rock.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
i would definitely hit williamsburg - which makes it difficult because I also like western NC

DC is a great place to spend some time - easy to stay outside of the city and take the metro in

a drive up to philly with a quick hit in baltimore can be nice

philly is fun for a good weekday - liberty bell (it's OK, much worse now with the new pavilion), independence hall, reading terminal market, great food and a lot of history

I agree with stacylee that NYC is a must see at least once and you could probably build in a beach day in NJ (but being from the south that may leave you a little disaponted)

however, with my style i'd probably end in upstate NY - PEI is beautiful and NE is great

but i'm biased towards upstate NY - baseball hall of fame, the andirondacks, the finger lakes, letchworth state park, all the gorges - so so much well preserved park land, so many quaint little historical towns (like seneca falls, sarratoga springs) and then you could end at niagara falls and go into canada there where the kids can also enjoy marineland, sea world and african lion safari ...... maybe a quick trip over to toronto if you're up to it

Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,969,738 times
Ending in upstate NY would make a much shorter trip than ending in PEI, I think; but I would also advise the coastal route towards Canada, even if you don't end up going all the way to PEI.

The coast of Maine is gorgeous and wonderful in the summertime. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are very popular with tourists, but it is a beautiful area. Further down the coast, Camden Hills State Park / Mt. Battie provides a breathtaking view of Penobscot Bay. The mid-coast villages are extremely charming - visit Damariscotta, Wiscasset, Boothbay Harbor. There are a number of great lighthouses along the coast, especially Pemaquid Point Light, Portland Head Light, and Nubble Light.

I also highly recommend mapping your route through the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Franconia Notch State Park, the Kancamagus Highway, and the Mt. Washington Auto Road are all absolute must-sees. This is arguably the most impressive mountain scenery you'll see east of the Rockies, and it's only about an hour west of the Atlantic coast.

Further south on the coast, Portsmouth, NH is one of the most well-preserved colonial port cities in New England and wonderfully charming, especially the Strawberry Banke museum. Along the North Shore in Massachusetts, you have similarly well-preserved historic colonial towns at Newburyport, Ipswich, Gloucester, Rockport, and Salem.

If you've never been to Boston, I don't see how you could pass it up (unless you're a nervous driver!) Actually, I would recommend leaving the car somewhere outside the city and taking the train or the "T" (subway) into the city. Boston is probably my favorite city in the country, although I do have a regional bias.

Between Boston and New York, you have a couple of options. If you prefer the coastal route, you must stop in Newport, Rhode Island to see the wonderful colonial port and the extravagant mansions. There are a number of charming towns in this area like Tiverton, Little Compton, Jamestown, Wickford, etc. Further down the coast, Mystic, CT is worth a stop and maybe New Haven to see the Yale campus.

A slightly more tranquil route (instead of I-95) would be I-90 across Massachusetts, stopping at Sturbridge Village and Hancock Shaker Village.

I'm not sure why I gave the route in reverse, but I hope that helps you plan your New England leg of the trip. It would be great to add beautiful Vermont, but you can only see so much.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 PM

218 posts, read 1,310,532 times
All these places sound great, makes me want to go on a rd trip.
Anyways i just wanted to say my last rd trip i had AAA, and they have this neat little set up on thier site thats called trip tix (or something similiar) map out where you want to go and they sent maps of my whole route with awesome tourist books (for free other then original membership) some states are grouped together, NY happens to be a book all by itself but it really does have some great information in it. the maps are highlighted for "your" route with suggestions for stopping. Just thought it might be helpful.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:27 AM

7 posts, read 3,856 times
Watkins Glen, Upstate NY
Old Quebec City, QC

Old 09-01-2016, 06:08 AM

9,787 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Washington, DC. The great thing about DC is all the museums are FREE (unlike most of the rest of the US)!! Air and Space Museum and the Smithsonian are the classics.
Just a point of clarification: The Smithsonian isn't a museum, it is a large network of museums, 17 of which are in the District of Columbia, and they are all free. Air and Space is one of the Smithsonian museums.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:21 AM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
They OP went on this trip in July, 2009. I'm betting they are home by now.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:33 AM

9,787 posts, read 5,000,424 times
You never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or