U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,175,236 times

Advertisements

As someone who loves to travel and visit new destinations, I've always been intrigued with those who own vacation homes and spend all of their travel time staying at their 2nd home. I can understand those who have the means and time to own a 2nd home, but yet travel to other places too.

Many times the vacation homes are in the same region or the country. For instance, many Chicagoans own vacation homes in Wisconsin or Michigan and run up there every long weekend and perhaps for 2 weeks in the summer. Don't they want to go anywhere else? What's so attractive about doing laundry, cooking, gardening and doing all of that stuff somewhere else?

I can't comprehend those who only travel to their 2nd home. Isn't running 1 home enough? How is maintaining 2 a vacation? And with so many awesome places in the world, why not see other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,127,313 times
We have a vacation home in the mountains of NC. We used to go about every other weekend and a couple of full weeks per year, but now we're down to about 1 weekend out of every 6 -8 and maybe 1 week per year. We have young children, so that is a big part of why we've cut back on going. We bought our vacation home as an investment as much as we did a getaway. It provides us an escape from the awful heat of summer and also a place to go for more reliable winter weather. It's a rather small and simple cabin, but even so requires a good deal of work to keep up. Given our lower use of the place, we may start renting it some simply to help cover some of the expenses...and to have a property mgmt company maintain the grounds for us.

Since we bought the place a few years ago, we have still travelled some...Mexico, Idaho, Spain, Russia, Orlando/WDW, Switzerland...plus we spend a week at the NC's Outer Banks each year. I certainly have the travel bug, however having young children travel to faraway lands can sometimes be overwhelming. Its nice to have an escape from the everyday that's easy to get to where you don't have to deal with delays/airport security/etc... I've also found that my soul is truly at peace in the NC mountains. To me, its a very restorative place just to be, even if it means I'm there working on the cabin. Every time I think about selling it...or even renting it...I simply have to spend a couple of days there to realize I want to hold on to it as long as possible.

However, if owning our cabin meant we simply could not travel other places, then I would sell it in a heartbeat. There are simply too many people/places/things to see in the world to only go to one place all the time.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,336,129 times
Chinola, the quick answer is kids. Ever take a couple of toddlers to Europe or the Carribean?

In the 1950's and 1960's, many affluent Chicagoans bought cabins in Wisconsin because the summer was brutal, air conditioning wasn't common, and airfare was highly regulated and extremely expensive. People didn't fly for pleasure, only business.

You worked in the City, your housewife and kids went to Wisconsin for the summer. You joined them for the weekends. You had a nice pool, cool lake, and enjoyed your "summer" friends.

The people I know with cabins today, basically either inherented them from family or bought them because they had fine memories from growing up with them.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
When we lived in NJ, we strongly considered buying a shore house. Why not? We could leave every Friday and drive down, spend a lazy weekend, then drive back Sunday night.

I have friends who live in NYC and also have a weekend place in the Catskills or northwest NJ as an escape from the city. They also travel, last year they went to Australia for two weeks, this year they are taking a European cruise.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:37 PM

179 posts, read 488,858 times
I don't get it either, but then again, I don't have kids and don't care to have them Although I did have a dream I was pregnant last night...

I would much rather see a new place than go to the same place every time. My broad goal in life is to see every country in the world.

But for families I see the appeal

Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
You worked in the City, your housewife and kids went to Wisconsin for the summer. You joined them for the weekends. You had a nice pool, cool lake, and enjoyed your "summer" friends.
Or you took the train up to Lake Geneva to join them for the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel