U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:18 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times

Advertisements

Two weeks ago when I went to Cabo my plane due to the swine scare was empty, a 757 with nobody on board ...first class was full as people were upgrading for $50..I said why would I want to be up there now when coach is empty...hubbie had one row and I had the row across...put those arm rests up, took off my sandals and just stretched out and read the entire flight..it was heaven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,914,372 times
To Ghengis...sorry, but your last post makes me wonder if you are an idiot. First of all, yes, I AM a flight attendant, actively flying. Next, the idea that if you pester a FA for a first class seat, that is the way to guarantee that you will NOT get one. Why reward irritating, bad behavior?

Do you not understand that we do N O T just upgrade people if they ask? NO airline does. Clearly you demonstrate that you are not a person who flys enough to know that.

NJKate was exactly right, we would politely ask you to take your assigned seat and there would be no benefit in repeatedly asking to be moved up. The answer would still be no.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
That's really cool, Gman.
I once saw an extremely tall guy stuck in coach along with me and I really felt sorry for him as I gazed at his scrunched up legs--it certainly gave me a different perspective for my just under 5'7" self.
I have not flown first class since my dad (worked for United) was alive.
Up until recently, it seemed that planes had been flying awfully full; it really has never occurred to me to even try to go first class.
I think I have enough miles on Northwest to do it one way to Europe, but being price-conscious, yet not a frequent flyer, I've never shown that much loyalty to any one airline.
I always loved Frontier, and then they quit flying out of Jax.
I enjoyed Northwest, but lately they've been too expensive.
And so on.
Yeah, the leg room is just horrendous. The first class thing was cool because of the free booze but i'm equally as happy when i get put in the emergency row. Just got back from Punta Cana and i was lucky to get it going both ways. Otherwise, i would have probably had problems walking once i got off the plane, haha. It was funny because i was joking with the flight attendant once she went through her emergency row spiel that i would do just about anything for the extra leg room to which she replied "anything???"

G Man

Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
To Ghengis...sorry
Thanks FlightAttendant, it's really not necessary but I accept your appology. Maybe I'll see you up in 1st class? wink, wink...nudge, nudge...say no more. say. no. more. Purley...Purley.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 PM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Thanks FlightAttendant, it's really not necessary but I accept your appology. Maybe I'll see you up in 1st class? wink, wink...nudge, nudge...say no more. say. no. more. Purley...Purley.
OMG against my better judgement I looked at your profile....hopefully you are just embellishing because this scares the bejesus out of me:

Occupation
Air Traffic Controller proned to headaches and fits of rage

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 AM

4,339 posts, read 7,982,576 times
The last two times I flew first - it was on AA through AmEx travel. It was offered to me when I booked, they called it First for coach or something like that. But basically you got to fly first for no additional charge - the only caveat was that the departure times were ridiculously early though. I don't know if its because it was availabe and our company (who uses AA as or official airline) had priority or what. I've also been able to upgrade for $25 on NWA. But we're talking short flights - DCA to Minniapolis(?)

I'd say having status on an airline is your best way though. Either by havign that status or just upgrading with points. Albeit that is even hard now with airlines cutting routes.

And njkate - this is sometimes also true for off peak international travel to Asia. First and Business is completely booked... and you get to have an entire row of a wide body in coach.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
So Long, Coach: Get an Upgrade at the Airport

This is for all you flyers out there looking to save a few bucks while flying first class
Total absolute NONSENSE. RUBBISH! I can tell you as a frequent flyer that NON of this can possibly occur. First class seats are now closely monitored by the system, it's all system/computer controlled. In most cases a gate agent can't give you an upgrade even if they wanted to.

First class seats are filled 100% - by payers and frequent flyers, non-revenue flyers (air marshalls and airline employees), and IF there is any room, very very rare, it will go to somone that has been bumped off another flight. I can tell you, as a Delta Gold Medallion, even I don't get upgrades all the time, and I am eligible for unlimited upgrades. The reason is the seats are filled 100% with platinum members or people that pay for it.

The things mentioned in the article may have happened 10 or 20 years ago, but no longer. Asking nicely, dressing nice, pleading - YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME. Won't work. the article is absolute pure unadultured rubbish. Period.

that Genghis guy - I think it's obvious he is telling tall tales, a troll, doesn't even dignify a response.

Last edited by Dd714; 05-20-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 02:08 AM

40,423 posts, read 39,942,794 times
The OP sounds like a pinhead to me.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The OP sounds like a pinhead to me.
OP's not a pinhead, he had good intentions, the person that wrote the article is. I feel so strongly against the misinformation in the article I would ask the OP to request that the mods delete this post and the link.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:03 AM

437 posts, read 683,764 times
You can fly SWA, all the seating is first class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or