U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,264 posts, read 7,273,290 times
Reputation: 5943

Advertisements

So Long, Coach: Get an Upgrade at the Airport

This is for all you flyers out there looking to save a few bucks while flying first class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Reputation: 33476
I do that stuff all the time and it usually works!

Lately, I started bringing a small cooler with me and on the side of the cooler I stenciled..."HUMAN HEAD". When boarding I'll just turn left and take the first available seat in 1st Class and position the cooler on my lap. Nobody ever sits next to me and the flight attendants never bother me. The time goes much quicker and the CCTV they show of the people back in the coach section real makes you appreciate your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Living near our Nation's Capitol since 2010
2,177 posts, read 2,915,436 times
Reputation: 5851
Ghengis...you have posted this before. As a flight attendant, I can tell you that that is simply NOT possible. For one thing, carrying human remains or body parts requires all sorts of documentation and paperwork and "human head" would simply not be possible. Please, PLEASE stop this silliness.

Also, that article suggests that you ask the flight attendant for an empty First Class seat...come ON! We do N O T just upgrade coach passengers who ask. PLEASE do N O T put us in the position of turning you down. Heck, if that were possible, don't you think everyone would ask? NO, it DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
2,498 posts, read 10,288,042 times
Reputation: 1598
^^^
Agree with FlightAttendant, the chances of an upgrade for free is very slim. Especially in a day when many people flying coach have status with an airline and expect the upgrade due to their loyalty. If you have a frequent flier who flies thousands of miles just on American Airlines, he is going to be very upset when some coach passenger that has the cheapest nonrefundable fare gets upgraded. The best way to get an upgrade is to stay loyal to one airline, gain status, and then start getting upgrades as a reward for your loyalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Living near our Nation's Capitol since 2010
2,177 posts, read 2,915,436 times
Reputation: 5851
Bingo, Missionhome! You are exactly right re upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Ghengis...you have posted this before. As a flight attendant, I can tell you that that is simply NOT possible. For one thing, carrying human remains or body parts requires all sorts of documentation and paperwork and "human head" would simply not be possible. Please, PLEASE stop this silliness.

Also, that article suggests that you ask the flight attendant for an empty First Class seat...come ON! We do N O T just upgrade coach passengers who ask. PLEASE do N O T put us in the position of turning you down. Heck, if that were possible, don't you think everyone would ask? NO, it DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!
Sure, anyone can call themselves a "FlightAttendant" but that doesn't prove you are one.

Answer me this...What can be used as a flotation device in the event of a landing in water?
A. Several barf bags blown up with air.
B. Standing on the shoulders of another passenger.
C. A seat cushion.

Also, it is my experience that the more often you ask for something (even after first being refused) the more likely you will get what you want. In the case of getting a 1st class seat, the flight attendant will likely just give it to you to stop you from incessantly pestering them as they usually have better things to do. If everyone would try this, it would undoubtedly work more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 AM
 
Location: AZ
124 posts, read 442,613 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
In the case of getting a 1st class seat, the flight attendant will likely just give it to you to stop you from incessantly pestering them as they usually have better things to do. If everyone would try this, it would undoubtedly work more often.
Dude, you sound like a real gem!

I once asked for my husband to join me in 1st, as there were seats available once we had boarded the plane (I was comp upgraded). The flight attendant was very nice and said "no problem". I am a firm believer that you catch more bees with honey. There is no need to act like an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Sure, anyone can call themselves a "FlightAttendant" but that doesn't prove you are one.

Answer me this...What can be used as a flotation device in the event of a landing in water?
A. Several barf bags blown up with air.
B. Standing on the shoulders of another passenger.
C. A seat cushion.

Also, it is my experience that the more often you ask for something (even after first being refused) the more likely you will get what you want. In the case of getting a 1st class seat, the flight attendant will likely just give it to you to stop you from incessantly pestering them as they usually have better things to do. If everyone would try this, it would undoubtedly work more often.
You've got to be kidding me....I'm not a flight attendant thank goodness,( nothing against flight attendants..I could never put up with all the azzes out there) but if I were I can assure it would not work with me.
You would be politely told to take your assigned seat & if you didn't I'd be making sure you were escorted off the flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
1,410 posts, read 3,560,975 times
Reputation: 386
I have only flown first class one time. For whatever reason i wasnt giving a seat assignment so i waited for everyone else to board. Then i got the guy doing the tickets and asked him if there was any room left in the emergency row (i'm 6'8''). He didnt say anything, just gave me and my brother our tickets with seat assignments. I boarded to see that i was in first class. Made sure i took advantage with a couple free coctails, haha.

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Reputation: 13245
That's really cool, Gman.
I once saw an extremely tall guy stuck in coach along with me and I really felt sorry for him as I gazed at his scrunched up legs--it certainly gave me a different perspective for my just under 5'7" self.
I have not flown first class since my dad (worked for United) was alive.
Up until recently, it seemed that planes had been flying awfully full; it really has never occurred to me to even try to go first class.
I think I have enough miles on Northwest to do it one way to Europe, but being price-conscious, yet not a frequent flyer, I've never shown that much loyalty to any one airline.
I always loved Frontier, and then they quit flying out of Jax.
I enjoyed Northwest, but lately they've been too expensive.
And so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top