Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM

154 posts, read 662,205 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Edinburgh (UK) and can recommend a hotel or some sightseeing? Am planning to go there in autumn.

Thx

Funny_74
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times
Haven't stayed there in years- have friends out of the city anyway.

Try Tripadvisor.

This might help as well-

http://www.edinburgh.org/

Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_74 View Post
Has anyone been to Edinburgh (UK) and can recommend a hotel or some sightseeing? Am planning to go there in autumn.

Thx

Funny_74
Went there a few years ago. Fantastic. Rent a car and drive around too because there is some amazing scenery around Edinburgh. We bought Rick Steve's book on Edinburgh and had a great time. He recommended a hotel...I believe it was called the Dunedin Inn. It was a fantastic B&B with amazing breakfasts, right on the main bus line to the center of the city. The hosts were great and recommended a few places to eat which we loved. Don't be afraid to be a tourist there...take the Green and Yellow city tours and hop on and off all day. Get the Rick Steve's Book (or do your own research on his website) and bring warm clothes. We were there in August and it was freezing (but the hearty Scots were all in short sleeves and light dresses...meanwhile my mother-in-law was dressed for the Arctic!).

Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 AM

Cool, thanks for the hints. I guess renting a car is not a good idea as the Scotish are used to driving on the left :-D That's hard to manage ...

Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_74 View Post
Cool, thanks for the hints. I guess renting a car is not a good idea as the Scotish are used to driving on the left :-D That's hard to manage ...
Yes. I was fortunate because my husband had lived in England for a few years and was comfortable both in driving on the WRONG side of the road AND driving a stick shift with the wrong hand.

Remember too that Scotland is not that populated and so the roads are not wide. There were some places where we had to pull over to allow a bus to pass because there wasn't enough room for both of us. Yikes.

When you get to Edinburgh (or even before) if you've got time, you can schedule a trip to the countryside. The Highlands would probably be too far unless you've got lots of time. However, there are lots of day tours that will take you to various ruins and sites.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
My husband did fine with the driving, but he did all of it--I was too chicken.
I've only been to Edinburgh twice, but both times were during momentous events: the Fringe Festival and Hogmanay. Those were exciting and fun, but not during the autumn.
There are the typical touristy things to do, Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Princes Street.
But one splurge we made that we really enjoyed: we spent a night in Borthwick Castle, where Mary Queen of Scots was besieged. There are lots of places that call themselves castles, but Borthwick is the real deal.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:17 AM

The castle thing sounds good, will keep that in mind

Concerning driving on narrow roads with stick shift I don't see any problem as in Europe we got the same :-) Just scared of driving on the WRONG side - but I think I will realize that pretty soon :-D

Old 05-24-2009, 02:14 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
I'm going in August and I have a list of things I want to see. But I've had to cut them back because we're also going for the Fringe Festival and won't have time for everything! On the list is:

Holyroodhouse Palace, Edinburgh Castle, Camera Obscura, Lincoln Monument, Scott Monument - and if we have time hopefully the Museum of Scotland and the Royal Botanic Garden.

About 20 minutes out of the city is Rosslyn Chapel - though it's now associated with The DaVinci Code, it's a unique place which would be a shame to miss even for someone who dislikes The DaVinci Code. Rosslyn Chapel - Home

We're staying at the Salisbury Hotel. Are you going after August? If so, ask me again after we've been (going the 23rd to the 26th) and I can give reviews.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
If you stay in Edinburgh no need to get a car, in fact a car is a liability (no parking, bad traffic). If you go outside of Edinburgh, which I highly recommend (go up to the highlandes, Skye, etc) then get a rental car. Driving is easy, narrow roads but no big deal.

Be aware Edinburgh is very expensive.

I would recommend staying as close to the sites (near the castle, etc) as possible, but that's my preference - I like to walk outside of my hotel room and have everything there. But, again, for that privledge you pay.

Plenty of sites, everyone had good recommendations. I would also recommend those "get on, get off" tourist buses. I would also recommend one of the ghost tours to the underground. Very very entertaining.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I would also recommend one of the ghost tours to the underground. Very very entertaining.
Ohhh!! Yes, I almost forgot about that one. The ghost tour was great and you can find companies all over Edinburgh that offer them. By far, the scariest one I have ever been on was New Orleans but Edinburgh was very very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel