U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 02:39 AM

129 posts, read 515,606 times

Advertisements

Have airlines become pretty well the same nowadays or do some commercial airlines have more skilled pilots and better planes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
I think you'll often find the more experienced pilots flying the larger planes for the legacy airlines, although not always.

As far as equipment, many describe Jet Blue as having the nicest fleet. I tend to fly US Airlines because they have the routes that I need most often. Their eqipment is a mixed bag of old and new. Continental has the youngest fleet, but they also have some absurd policies. (For example while most other airlines will offer unsold FC seats for $100-300 depending on the length of the trip, Continental will apply the cost of your ticket against the cost of a full fare FC ticket. They wanted to charge me over $1000 to "buy into" FC for a two hour flight. Uh, no thanks.)

My all time best CO story: I called to change my flight to one day earlier and paid $300 in change fees. I was fine with that. I got to the airport to find that the flight I had changed to was oversold, and I was getting bumped. The next flight they could put me on was the flight that I had originally been booked on the following day. They took my $300 knowing full well that they were booking me into an oversold situation. They refused to refund the change fee, and would only give me the value of the original ticket. I contested it with my credit card who did refund the money to me.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:49 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,742,575 times
Age of the fleet has nothing to do with safety or quality. Airliners are stripped down, and rebuilt to very exacting standards on a regular basis. A 40 year old DC-9 is just as safe as a brand new Airbus.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Theoretically, yes, Realistically, not so much.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:47 PM

What do you mean realistically not so much?

I don't know of any airliners that have dropped out of the sky because of their age.

When I sign a log book, the airplane is airworthy no matter how old it is. There is no in between.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
What do you mean realistically not so much?

I don't know of any airliners that have dropped out of the sky because of their age.

When I sign a log book, the airplane is airworthy no matter how old it is. There is no in between.
Actually there have been a few recent incidents involving older equipment. You can sign whatever you want, I'm still not going to be comfortable flying in a 40 year old DC-9.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Please tell me about these recent incidents, and how the age of the aircraft contributed to the causes.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:30 PM

I'm not saying the age was a direct contributor (although one recent non-commercial DC9 crash was related to equipment age) I'm just saying I'm not comfortable boarding an older plane. My opinion.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Yes as seen in the recent NY crash. Besides that i have experiened that many don'tthe same airport accomdations at airports;the personell are not as good in the airports. Some airlines have really gone to very poor service especialy has tickets got so cheap. My neioghbor said he hates his company now buying getto tickets;meaning he will be flying the cheaper airlines with the people that pay as little as possible.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 AM

737 posts, read 2,248,801 times
I have no problem boarding an aircraft regardless of the age. That said, I do prefer those in the cockpit to at least have a little grey hair or military style haircut. I know that is reverse age discrimination and I don't care, just my opinion.

Either way, I know that every member of the crew wants to take off and land safely - same as me.

I believe this holds true for most of the first world countries. I would be hesitant about certain places in the world (e.g. Egypt, etc.) although I flew Egypt Airlines but it was pre-9/11.

So, to the OP, no I don't believe they are all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel