U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:47 PM

98 posts, read 152,577 times

Advertisements

I literally live at the 'end of the line' - International Falls, Minnesota, where the border crossing is a few blocks from me, and across Rainy River is Fort Frances, Ontario. The closest 'city' with 90,000 people is Duluth, 165 miles south. And it's freezing up here. So with all that, it's really tough to travel as flights from here are VERY expensive, and flying out of Duluth isn't cheap either. And the bus no longer comes up here from Duluth.

I haven't been anywhere south of Chicago before - not to FL, TX, CA and states in between; I've been to NY (Buffalo/Niagara) but not NYC. I like to run marathons, but getting into a few that I'd like to run (NYC, Houston, LA, San Fran) are either really tough or expensive - both the event as well as the accommodations. When I ran the Chicago Marathon back in October, I stayed in the West Loop at a hostel - which wasn't bad, but let's just say there was no pool or spa. Was greeted by roaches and very random door slams from the shared washroom down at the end of the hall, as well as a sign next to the plexiglass window at reception saying that it was illegal to participate in acts of prostitution or drug activity and the front desk doesn't have any cash on hand (underneath the sign it said 'smile - you're on closed-captioned TV!). But, if I hadn't stayed there, I wouldn't have been able to stay in Chicago for a couple days before and after the marathon, so it saved a lot of money.

I always said I was going to 'wait until I met the right person' to start going places and doing things that I always wanted to do. But then about five years ago, it dawned on me that I have never really left International Falls for more than a few days...and if you're single, live in a town like this, and want to someday meet someone and have interesting stories to tell, well, you have to just get out and do it by yourself and see what happens. That's what I've been doing, and while the first time I went far (to run the Detroit Marathon - it was awesome) I wasn't sure how it'd go, after I got home I couldn't wait to sign up for the next race in another city six months later. For one, it gives you something to look forward to, especially in a place like here where we often have the lowest temperatures in the US in the winter, and it also gives you some motivation to stay in shape during those months and train for something when the weather gets warmer.

Where would I like to go next? Well, having lived my entire life on the border and being so familiar with that, I've always wanted to see the other end of the US border - but I'd like to find a quieter, safer town/city on the US/Mexican border where there are some things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,126,335 times
Have been to the South, Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, California. Only regions I haven't been to are the Rockies (been to Nevada does that count) and the Pacific Northwest.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:46 AM

3,241 posts, read 4,571,993 times
I've been around to quite a few places but I've never been to the northwest: Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas nor have I been to Florida or the southeast though I did spend some time in Georgia.

I've also managed to always go around Kansas but I do want to go just to say I've been.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:20 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,623,409 times
The only part of the country I haven't been to are the New England states. Would still like to see them but I'm getting pretty old. I've been to Alaska, but not Hawaii and probably never will as Mexico is cheaper and closer (hate long plane rides).

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM

58 posts, read 54,761 times
I havent been to Alaska or Seattle (I have been to Portland, Oregan.)

Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,073,633 times
It is easier to say what states I HAVE been to then where I haven't been. I have been to Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, briefly in N.M., briefly in Oklahoma, TX, Wyoming, Utah, briefly in S. Dakota and Nebraska. I also also been to Conn. and New York.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 AM

34,672 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Pacific Northwest. Just never had a reason to go there and now that I refuse to fly anymore, it's too far to drive there solo.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM

94 posts, read 115,736 times
I have not been to the Rockies and Northwest and really have no desire to go. I've been to Minnesota, but no further NW and to California/Nevada.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 PM

4,760 posts, read 3,188,746 times
I have lived in 8 states, 9 if you count Greece, & 10 if you count the State of Confusion. Those states are NY, MA, CT, VA, MD, OK, TX, & VT.

I have been in most states (even if only briefly or I don't remember). I think the number of states that I haven't been to is something like 13 of them.

This past summer I went in a few states that I haven't been in before, like SD, WY, MT, & ID (which we were only in ID for 5 minutes or so-but I was there. ) Maybe someday I will get to the 13 I haven't been to yet.

Cat

Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 AM

218 posts, read 275,923 times
Haven't been West of New Orleans or Memphis. Need to check out Chicago up north. Northeast need to still check out Boston, Pittsburgh, Montreal, and Baltimore.

But West is what I need to check out. California, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or