U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,575,344 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen middle America YET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,578,101 times
I've been to all 50 states but most were as a child so I'm attempting to do them all over again as an adult.

Alaska is next year.
BlueRidge Parkway is the year after that...on the motorcycle.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,688,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is amazing how people can dismiss broad areas of the country as boring. I live in Chicago, and I have to admit that I head to Nebraska and Minneapolis a couple of times a year and have a blast.

Nebraska has some phenomenal museums and a lot of great people. It is by far one of the most poorly marketed state.
Chicago is an interesting place to visit, but I don't ever want to go there or anywhere in the midwest/plains/great lakes during winter, it's not pleasant and, yes, more boring.

I realize the places in the mid-nation area do have their attractions, but for the most part it's nothing I can't experience elsewhere, and better. Yes, Nebraska I'm sure has its good museums; but here in NYC and Philly and Boston and DC the museums are much better, so why would I go to Nebraska for that? I'd rather go to L.A. or New Mexico where they not only have better museums than Nebraska but also a different environment and culture to experience. I don't see much difference between, say, rural Pennsylvania and rural midwest. Same types of flora and fauna, same weather (but more harsh in the midwest), and fewer cities in the midwest. I just can't see the appeal of going to Nebraska or even Minneapolis over Albuquerque or Los Angeles or Phoenix or San Francisco.

I don't mean to insult you or midwesterners; I'm sure it's a good life there and that there's enough to keep you entertained, but on a national scale I can't help but find it to be the most boring part of the nation. Not bad, just no real big draw that makes me want to get out there for a vacation. I think the only thing that would be interesting would be driving through on a cross country trip. Perhaps the only exception to what I'm saying is in the Dakotas where there is more interesting landscape like the Badlands, but beyond that I don't see why I'd want to go to that part of the nation.

Feel free to sell me on it; so far nobody has.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM

6,174 posts, read 6,344,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Chicago is an interesting place to visit, but I don't ever want to go there or anywhere in the midwest/plains/great lakes during winter, it's not pleasant and, yes, more boring.

I realize the places in the mid-nation area do have their attractions, but for the most part it's nothing I can't experience elsewhere, and better. Yes, Nebraska I'm sure has its good museums; but here in NYC and Philly and Boston and DC the museums are much better, so why would I go to Nebraska for that? I'd rather go to L.A. or New Mexico where they not only have better museums than Nebraska but also a different environment and culture to experience. I don't see much difference between, say, rural Pennsylvania and rural midwest. Same types of flora and fauna, same weather (but more harsh in the midwest), and fewer cities in the midwest. I just can't see the appeal of going to Nebraska or even Minneapolis over Albuquerque or Los Angeles or Phoenix or San Francisco.

I don't mean to insult you or midwesterners; I'm sure it's a good life there and that there's enough to keep you entertained, but on a national scale I can't help but find it to be the most boring part of the nation. Not bad, just no real big draw that makes me want to get out there for a vacation. I think the only thing that would be interesting would be driving through on a cross country trip. Perhaps the only exception to what I'm saying is in the Dakotas where there is more interesting landscape like the Badlands, but beyond that I don't see why I'd want to go to that part of the nation.

Feel free to sell me on it; so far nobody has.
If you are into aviation, the midwest has some great museums. Outside Dayton, OH is the Grand Poo Bah of all military aviation museums. There is also a nice museum in Topeka, KS. There is the Oshkosh, WI airshow.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,517,991 times
we have not been out west! so, our vacation this summer (august) will be to arizona! I know..you are thinking why august? LOL this is the only time we can go, do to a high school athlete! we are looking forward to it.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM

14,295 posts, read 24,077,597 times
Quote:
it's not pleasant and, yes, more boring.

I realize the places in the mid-nation area do have their attractions, but for the most part it's nothing I can't experience elsewhere, and better. Yes, Nebraska I'm sure has its good museums; but here in NYC and Philly and Boston and DC the museums are much better, so why would I go to Nebraska for that?

How would YOU know if you have never been?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,688,388 times
Quote:
In addition to what I've heard and read about those parts (or, more importantly, what I haven't heard or read about those parts), I know I wouldn't like it there because of the parts of the midwest that I HAVE been to that are near the parts I haven't been to which are most likely to be very similar or the same. So, while I have never been to Iowa, I HAVE been to Kansas City, MO (and KS), and to Peoria, IL, both of which are somewhat near Iowa. Going by the fact that Peoria is hardly any more different from or interesting than the rest of IL (except Chicago) or even Indiana or Ohio, I don't see what there could possibly be in Iowa that's going to be any more interesting. On top of that, what I have heard from others corroborates my speculation about Iowa being no different from the rest of the midwest.

I never liked the "If you haven't been there/done that then how do you KNOW you don't like it??" There are plenty of things you can know enough about to know you wouldn't like it without having to actually do it. For example, I don't have to actually try to eat a dog poop sandwich to know I wouldn't like it. Have you ever eaten a dog poop sandwich? If not, why not? How do you know you wouldn't like it?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,680,253 times
Never been to Oregon, Alaska, Utah, Wyoming, North or South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Arkansas, Iowa, New Mexico, Louisiana, Nebraska, Mississippi or Hawaii. That's 22 states!

Been everywhere else.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,680,253 times
Quote:

BergenCountyJohnny?

Oh he's a Jersey Devil. Pay him no mind at all!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM

6,174 posts, read 6,344,392 times
Quote:
In addition to what I've heard and read about those parts (or, more importantly, what I haven't heard or read about those parts), I know I wouldn't like it there because of the parts of the midwest that I HAVE been to that are near the parts I haven't been to which are most likely to be very similar or the same. So, while I have never been to Iowa, I HAVE been to Kansas City, MO (and KS), and to Peoria, IL, both of which are somewhat near Iowa. Going by the fact that Peoria is hardly any more different from or interesting than the rest of IL (except Chicago) or even Indiana or Ohio, I don't see what there could possibly be in Iowa that's going to be any more interesting. On top of that, what I have heard from others corroborates my speculation about Iowa being no different from the rest of the midwest.

I never liked the "If you haven't been there/done that then how do you KNOW you don't like it??" There are plenty of things you can know enough about to know you wouldn't like it without having to actually do it. For example, I don't have to actually try to eat a dog poop sandwich to know I wouldn't like it. Have you ever eaten a dog poop sandwich? If not, why not? How do you know you wouldn't like it?
On many of my road trips I have stumbled across many hidden gems in some of the most out of the way places. A muesum does not have to cover a city block to be awesome. The midwest played a big part in the developement of the West. Small town USA can be very interesting. I lived in a small town in western Alaska. No moutains. Few trees. The river was slow and muddy. A real stick in the mud kinda place. However once I got to know the place I discovered the charm was in the people. There was beauty in the barren tundra. In short it was a fascinating place. I often would pass on a resturant because it did appear to be a quality place. I have since learned some of the best eating comes from these kind of places. I guess if you want to keep your pre concieved
ideas of what the midwest is about that is up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or