Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,679,449 times

Advertisements

I have never been out West. I would love to go out to Texas or Oklahoma and spent the summer on a ranch. Or Arizona/NM and California. That region of the country seems so cool.

I live in the Upper South. I have been to the Deep South which wasnt too bad.

I have been to the Northeast which I dont care much for. I have been to the Midwest- Ohio mostly and parts of Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,137,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I have never been out West. I would love to go out to Texas or Oklahoma and spent the summer on a ranch. Or Arizona/NM and California. That region of the country seems so cool.

I live in the Upper South. I have been to the Deep South which wasnt too bad.

I have been to the Northeast which I dont care much for. I have been to the Midwest- Ohio mostly and parts of Indiana.
Come on out and visit! I am in Colorado and love it out West. We've got lots of great ranches where you can pick how involved you get in the cowboy life...enjoy it from the porch or get down and dirty on trail rides. I grew up in Seattle but moved to Arizona after college. Then, I became a flight attendant so there are not many places I haven't been. After that, I moved to Florida and then finally landed in Denver.

However, still on my wish list is a trip to the far Northeast. I'd like to go on a fall leaves tour and I'd like to go to Maine.

P.S. When speaking about California, most of us in the West simply refer to it as California. Yes, geographically it's as far west as you can get, but California is as far removed from the western life as New Jersey. Also, most people I know are very disappointed in Phoenix. It's very large and populated and the photos of the lone cactus standing in the middle of the desert with a cowboy riding in the sunset are probably staged. Phoenix is full of high-end resorts, shopping centers and strip malls.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,679,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Come on out and visit! I am in Colorado and love it out West. We've got lots of great ranches where you can pick how involved you get in the cowboy life...enjoy it from the porch or get down and dirty on trail rides. I grew up in Seattle but moved to Arizona after college. Then, I became a flight attendant so there are not many places I haven't been. After that, I moved to Florida and then finally landed in Denver.

However, still on my wish list is a trip to the far Northeast. I'd like to go on a fall leaves tour and I'd like to go to Maine.

P.S. When speaking about California, most of us in the West simply refer to it as California. Yes, geographically it's as far west as you can get, but California is as far removed from the western life as New Jersey. Also, most people I know are very disappointed in Phoenix. It's very large and populated and the photos of the lone cactus standing in the middle of the desert with a cowboy riding in the sunset are probably staged. Phoenix is full of high-end resorts, shopping centers and strip malls.
Yes, I agree. But I guess I was including California just for sake that I havent been out there yet. Colorado sounds really nice. I think Sedona or Flagstaff or something would be nicer than Pheonix.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Yes, I agree. But I guess I was including California just for sake that I havent been out there yet. Colorado sounds really nice. I think Sedona or Flagstaff or something would be nicer than Pheonix.
Well, I don't want to get into the "California Sucks" theory that so many people here in the West subscribe to. I love visiting California and have some great vacation memories from there. It's just that if you were heading to California to experience the Western lifestyle, you'd be mighty disappointed. Enjoy California for what it DOES have to offer, but don't expect a "City Slickers" movie experience.

Flagstaff is fine but it's just a college town. Sedona is nice too but has become very posh and expensive. It IS a nice day trip, however.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times
I haven't been to Alaska or Hawaii. Other wise I've been pretty much everywhere from bar harbor Maine to crossing the border into Mexico south of San Diego. From Key West to Bellingham, WA.

I've been in every major city in the US, most of the secondary, and a fair number of the smaller cities/towns.

I've seen the mountains, the plains, the rivers, the desert. And you don't know the meaning of long drive until you go from one side of Texas to the other.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,519,768 times
I have neever been to rhode island or alaska;altho my sister lived in alaska for a few years.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 PM

821 posts, read 2,005,636 times
I have not been to Wisconsin

Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 PM

288 posts, read 848,861 times
In the lower 48, I have not been to Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,205,007 times
Never been to Alaska, Hawaii, Florida or the New England states.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And you don't know the meaning of long drive until you go from one side of Texas to the other.
Isn't that the truth? I moved from Arizona to Florida and drove through Texas. I read somewhere that you could fit the entire population of the USA and give each family a reasonable home lot and they'd all fit in Texas. Great state and cities to visit, but by the time you've driven through it, you'd sell it for a quarter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel