U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,980,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
I am not an AAA member and would never become one. I dont see the benefit. As mentioned above, Priceline and to some extent Hotwire get you deals that are much better. I'm not picky so if you can live with not naming your exact hotel it works out great. I routinely get hotels for 30% or so of the rack rate.

G Man
I have a AAA membership and once went to their office to talk to a travel agent about taking a vacation to Oregon. I asked about airfare and places to go and the agent literally pulled up expedia and showed me her search results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 AM

95 posts, read 238,940 times
I joined AAA 3 years ago, cars were getting older hence...I've had tremendous service with roadside assistance. For me I've had very good luck with the hotel discount, I more than get back in discount for what I would have paid in membership. I go to trip advisor, read reviews. I will say I usually book a hotel 2-3 weeks in advance and I've noticed during those times I have gotten better rates.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
If you're old enough, just use AARP. They will send you a temporary card to use until you become a paid up member, but hotels always accept the temporary card which doesn't even have an expiration date on it, so you can use it for years, and it costs nothing. When you turn 55, they have you in their mailing list, and will automatically start soliciting your membership with a temporary card. Usually the same discount as AAA.

Hotels know that seniors don't steal or vandalize things or make a mess, so they like to give a senior discount, but often ask for something like AARP for the desk clerk to validate the registration. When I use it, they just glance at the card (usually they don't even take it out of my hand), and give me the discount, without even writing down a number or anything.

Motel Six gives a discount of about 5-10% if you book online, even if you do it ten minutes before you arrive at the desk, from the wifi at the McDonalds across the street.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
I had a great experience with Priceline late last year for the Sheraton Hotel Marina Hotel in San Diego at $80/night. I'm going to use Priceline again this summer for my next vacation. Starwood won't give you points though by going through Priceline.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM

22,672 posts, read 28,697,836 times
I like their guide books and maps. But I pay about $12 a year for towing insurance through my regular auto insurance.

My son keeps AAA because he does all his own mechanical work and NAPA Autoparts gives him a 10% discount for being a AAA member. He spends enough on auto parts that this AAA ends up costing him nothing. Also, he's busy and if he needs a tow, he can call, give the location and description of his car and he can leave and they will pick it up without him being there (they take 2-3 hours to get there)

Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
We pay between 8 and $12 a year for towing service with our insurance and I think it is better than AAA or certainly as good. Toward the end of our many years with AAA we found the discount rates not to be worth much and even the maps, though we liked them, were not much different than what we could get off the net. We dropped our membership about 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel