U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 AM

28,292 posts, read 39,979,602 times

Advertisements

Chicago is not a bad choice with all there is downtown: museums, Shed Aquarium, Navy Pier (Edit: Check out Navy Pier online. The kids will love it), boat rides, Wrigley Field, great parks with something going on all the time, on/off trolley, The Lake, etc. It's neat to take one of the tours on the river and see the back side of downtown. You will also be given a history lesson (sorry kids).

http://www.navypier.com/

The problem is hotel cost. You would likely want to stay out in one of the suburbs and travel in on one of the trains. Once you are downtown get a day pass for one of the trolleys and use it to get around. City buses will take you right to the museums and the aquarium.

My wife is from Chicago and finally convinced me to stay in downtown. Wish she had convinced me sooner. We had a ball and it was not what I expected a big city downtown to be. Clean, safe, tons of stuff to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:22 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,567,732 times
Hannibal Mo-Home of Mark Twain...take Rt 79 up....beautiful drive...wave at my sister in Louisiana, Mo as you go thru.

I've always wanted to go to Branson...
Go Tubbing on the Current River. It's down south there past Dexter.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 PM

129 posts, read 296,330 times
How about a Route 66 trip? Either up to Chicago, or out West. There are tons of Web pages showing the route, and it's entertaining, and staying in a vintage motel (even a wigwam in Arizona) and eating at places recommended by travel and food gurus like the Sterns or even Guy Fieri is reasonably priced. There are museums and quirky roadside attractions, too.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:03 AM

568 posts, read 1,931,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marence View Post
How about a Route 66 trip? Either up to Chicago, or out West. There are tons of Web pages showing the route, and it's entertaining, and staying in a vintage motel (even a wigwam in Arizona) and eating at places recommended by travel and food gurus like the Sterns or even Guy Fieri is reasonably priced. There are museums and quirky roadside attractions, too.
That's the dream trip right there. I'm currently using research from different websites to draw up the route in Google Earth. Marking turns, alternate alignments, side trips, mileages and attractions. It's not as easy as it may sound. I've been working on it off and on for a while and I've just made it into Oklahoma.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,044,225 times
If you do a Route 66 trip, be sure to stop in Carthage, MO on a Friday or Sat night. The original Route 66 Drive-In Theater is still open, through the end of summer. Kind of fun for an evening. I believe they have updated to radio-transmitted sound, not just the old boxes. Cash only, and bring your lawn chairs!

66 Drive-In ROCKS

Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
If you aren't into country music, I wouldn't go to Branson. Just thinking about the place makes my head hurt.

I'd either go to Chicago or maybe Lake Geneva in Wisconsin.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM

568 posts, read 1,931,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
If you do a Route 66 trip, be sure to stop in Carthage, MO on a Friday or Sat night. The original Route 66 Drive-In Theater is still open, through the end of summer. Kind of fun for an evening. I believe they have updated to radio-transmitted sound, not just the old boxes. Cash only, and bring your lawn chairs!

66 Drive-In ROCKS
Surprisingly, there are quite a few drive-ins open around the midwest. There is one near where my grandparents live in NE Indiana. I'll be up there the last week of June/first week of July and will make it a point to check out a movie there. Their sound is FM transmitted too, so the better your stereo the better the sound. WALL-E and Hulk last summer sounded good on my CTS Bose system.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:58 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,046,632 times
There are a lot of interesting places to see in the Midwest. It is easy to find a lot to do in a number of the cities - even places like Omaha and Indianapolis.

I always head to the library and get the "Off the Beaten Path" series for the area I am heading to and look for interesting museums, fairs and festivals.

Next week, our plant is closing for a week and I will be heading to Dearborn, MI to see the Henry Ford Museum, a great treasure, and then head to Southern Ontario.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,372,025 times
Southwest Ohio has LOTS of stuff to do; from the National Museum of the Air Force, and other aviation-related sights in and around Dayton, OH (and the Wright Brothers were from here) down to the sights in Cincinnati & Northern KY. Newport on the Levy has lots of shopping dining and other attractions, including the Newport Aquarium. Cincinnati offers a nice zoo and Union Station, which has museums and other attractions. King's Island Amusement Park is just North of Cincinnati, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel