U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM

4,677 posts, read 1,873,953 times

Advertisements

I live in St. Louis, MO and we are trying to go on vacation the 2nd week of June. We were supposed to go to Houston but there was a change of plans. It it me, my mom, and 3 kids. So we are trying to find someplace that isn't too far or too expensive for a family vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
You might consider Branson. There is something for all ages here. The kids would have a blast at Silver Dollar City (or even the lake, if your budget is tight), and you and your mom would certainly enjoy the selection of music shows (magic shows too, for the kids).

My advice is to find an older resort on the lake and make the drive in for activities (check out the ones on Indian Point, which is very close to Silver Dollar City), rather than staying on the "strip". Unless you like the excitement of being in the middle of things.

There are also two hotels in town that have indoor water parks. One is Grand Country Inn, and another one, that just opened up is Castlerock.

Branson is a fantastic (and close) vacation destination for the whole family to enjoy!

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 AM

612 posts, read 1,624,660 times
Branson is indeed a good place for the family. It's a city that is small but has a sort of a big town feel.

I've been there twice the past few years and I've really enjoyed it. There's a lot to do. Check into Silver Dollar City, White Water, and Celebration City (though I heard a rumor it was closed now?) 20yrsinBranson can verify whether or not. There's a lot of shows going on for all ages. If your kids like go-carts then there's some good spots on the strip.

My personal favorite thing about driving down there is the hills and seeing all the cliffs and trees. It's a good drive if you're really into the scenery. Though I have driven from Kansas City, KS both times so the scenery might be different driving SE than SW.

So, to sum it all up, really think about heading down to Branson!

Cheers,
Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Bananas; 05-28-2009 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 AM

2,132 posts, read 4,009,816 times
I would check out at least a few of the Missouri state parks, such as Elephant Rocks, Ha Ha Tonka, and Taum Sauk Mountain. Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites

Also the many caves throughout Missouri. It wasn't until I was almost 40 that I visited Onondaga Cave for the first time in my life (I lived in north St. Louis County until I was 18). At Meramec Caverns, you can also go on a short boat ride on the Meramec River and see great blue herons and turtles. Check out Missouri Caves Association

Hannibal might be another possibility, with everything Mark Twain up there.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:53 AM

258 posts, read 1,411,606 times
It looks like its already been said but Branson attracts a lot of tourists from all over as crazy as that sounds. Maybe its because I lived 2 hours from Branson and can count the number of times I've been there on 2 hands. Half of those times were playing sports against their high school. You can go see Shoji Tabuchi. In all seriousness Silver Dollar City isn't that bad if you've never been.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:42 AM

25,672 posts, read 24,312,431 times
Ive been to Chicago, Indiana and to WI a couple of times, it was really great. Lifestyle in parts of the midwest is like a whole nother world, and folks were downright pleasant. Id like to go to back to Chicago again, spend more time there.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 PM

568 posts, read 1,928,756 times
Branson has been mentioned. Can't go wrong there.

Chicago might be a good choice. I've been to Chicago 3 times now and it's been more fun each time I've been. It's always just been a day at a time and that's never been enough to really see anything at all. I'd love to have a week to spend there. I spent a day there last summer and actually walked around downtown a little. The place is just fascinating to me. So much to see and do.

There's Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. I'm biased, though. I love that place. Plan to spend a couple days there myself this summer.

St. Louis is just a good central point for all sorts of things in the midwest.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM

362 posts, read 916,772 times
Old topic, but I cannot help but mention Michigan. Exploring Michigan's west coast, up to the Mackinac Bridge, through the UP, back down through Canada and crossing back into Detroit via Windsor. A lot of beautiful scenery and a very relaxing way to spend a week or two.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:05 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,360,162 times
Gotta love spammers, that made me laugh.

Need a vacation in the midwest? Try Tuscany! A mere 8,000 miles away......

....that would be the midwest of Italy.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,701 times
Branson is Your favorite for today. I recommend it too. Moderator cut: Please no advertising !! I checked if it can find american cities and it really does find. I encourage You to try it. My friend uses it when travels and he says it is trustable.

Last edited by MB2; 06-19-2009 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel