Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,144,276 times

Advertisements

Anyone Else Plan To Vacation In Their Basement This Summer?
Even though my finances are a disaster I still want a vacation. My great idea is to spend it in my basement, yep, one whole week. On the basement walls I have different scenic wallpaper on each wall; a mountain scene, one a forest, another a sandy beach with palms, and the fourth a city skyline. I plan to spend about two days facing each wall while drinking beer and pretending I’m actually there. So I’ll see the beach, the mountains, the woods, and a city - all without any travel. On the floor I’ll set up my tent and have an electric campfire. To add to realism I’ll pretend to slap mosquitoes, and complain about the muggy heat as well as about the long line of other tourists waiting to see the two-headed goat. I might even douse myself with several buckets of water from the wash basin, so I can make a fuss about being caught in a downpour. From the auto junk yard I picked up a steering wheel and car door to lean against a chair. With my elbow out the car window, I’ll hold the wheel and drive down the endless road at 80 mph while making obscene gestures at the other crazy drivers. Maybe I should also get a battery and horn, so I can honk to my delight.
All food and drink will be stocked. During the day I can write postcards (Having a great time! Wish you were here!) and take photos with the wallpaper as background. It will be just like a real vacation, because I don’t plan to come up the steps for the entire week.
What are your vacation plans? Anyone else up for a vacation like mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,336,039 times
Awesome. Too bad our neighborhood here in good ol' MI can't do the same. While we also have no money here, most of our basements are flooded. Hmmm, I suppose we could pretend to be in a shallow swimming pool!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,642 times
I hear you!
I'm thinking about building a tiny house in the backyard.
Mostly for the kids to play in, or a novelty but functional guest cottage, but still I suppose it would be a change of scenery enough to be a vacation...

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

Old 06-01-2009, 06:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,963,097 times
I did a reverse tourist on May 8th through the 24th, I drove from Alaska to Montana and the surrounding states and back, had a blast. It's good to get out every year no matter what your expenses are. Just plan out on how much you plan on spending each day and stick to it. Get out of the house already!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,731,508 times
OP, that is hilarious...!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 PM

557 posts, read 2,605,228 times
That's a creative vacation! At least get some travel videos/DVDs from your library. We're in the same boat--no money to go anywhere this summer and we probably will spend most of the time in the basement where it's cooler. Going spend some time on the deck with sweet ice tea and reminice about all those grand vacations I took in my past life. Planning to get a kiddie wading pool for the dog and husband

Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,167,408 times
funny idea!

I will say I made a vacation/stay in Hawaii this winter by just going. I saved myself from having to buy two 500 gallon tanks of propane this winter by being not in my house to heat it! I spent the same amount by leaving!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,541,939 times
Ingenious and hilarious -- probably will be the most relaxing vacation you've ever had!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM

54,477 posts, read 33,786,951 times
Nothing wrong with keeping your vacation plans close to home.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,318,943 times
I considered a 'staycation' or whatever they are calling it these days. Things have been tough living paycheck to paycheck for months. We have taken a vacation every year - to somewhere even if it was just a long weekend.

However, as I was getting depressed about it I came up with a plan. Where there is a will, there is a way, right? So I cashed in some stock and said "What the h#$*!!" So we are now taking our 17 yo DS and 24 yo DD on what will probably be our last family vacation alone to Las Vegas and AZ for 10 days.

I tried.....but I have this travel disease...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel