U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I would love to plan a vacation to get away from the humidity and heat.....if only for a week. When you break into a sweat taking a short walk from your car to the grocery store....it is just too hot! I had to take a shower when I got home just to keep from smelling funky.
Off topic for a brief moment--is this heat unbelievable or what? We're supposed to hit a record high today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 AM

479 posts, read 1,310,009 times
Hey, fellow Floridians, take a look at this. I just posted it on the "weather" forum...this is for Clermont. It's changed just a little in the past few minutes.

At 12:32 p.m.
92°F
RealFeel®
115°F
Winds: NW
at 4mph

Partly Sunny
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 78° F
Pressure: 29.89 in
Visibility: 8 Miles

Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM

563 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Hey, fellow Floridians, take a look at this. I just posted it on the "weather" forum...this is for Clermont. It's changed just a little in the past few minutes.

At 12:32 p.m.
92°F
RealFeel®
115°F
Winds: NW
at 4mph

Partly Sunny
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 78° F
Pressure: 29.89 in
Visibility: 8 Miles

I opened my garage this afternoon, around that time and it was a wall of heat. I swear a dragon was breathing on me.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,183 times
Default San Diego for Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Come to San Diego. I'll switch places with you. I can't take this cold weather any longer. I'll take hot, humid Houston any day!
Your comment came up when I, too, was looking for a cool place to go to in August. Would you be interested in a house swap? I live in Katy, Texas (West Houston) which is a very suburban, hot and humid place in August.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,183 times
We live in Houston too and are looking to cool down this August. my situation is a little different however. I am looking for something fun for little kids. We are a family of 4 with 2 boys age 6 and 4 with a budget around $3k for about a week. Any recommendations?
Thanks, Christie

Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,579,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiefischer View Post
We live in Houston too and are looking to cool down this August. my situation is a little different however. I am looking for something fun for little kids. We are a family of 4 with 2 boys age 6 and 4 with a budget around $3k for about a week. Any recommendations?
Thanks, Christie
Vail, Colorado.

It's beautiful in the summer time, night temps in the 30's and 40's. For $3k that is more than adequate to rent a nice condo or small house for a week.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 PM

17,402 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Duluth, Minnesota. Out on Minnesota Point, with miles and miles of soft sand beaches, and ocean-like waves, you can delude yourself into thinking you're on the ocean. And cool.

From there, you can rent a car and go east to the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin, take the boat to Isle Royale out in Lake Superior, or drive up the North Shore to the Canadian border. Waterfalls, rivers, berry picking.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,398,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
The North shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota rarely gets above 85!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you are looking for a relief from the xcessive heat, there are two additional options within your budget. N. Wisconsin and N. Minnesota would both qualify as substantially cooler. The one thing that you would have to do is to bring a lot of mosquito repellent....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Duluth, Minnesota. Out on Minnesota Point, with miles and miles of soft sand beaches, and ocean-like waves, you can delude yourself into thinking you're on the ocean. And cool.

From there, you can rent a car and go east to the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin, take the boat to Isle Royale out in Lake Superior, or drive up the North Shore to the Canadian border. Waterfalls, rivers, berry picking.
My late wife and I took that drive camping up along the North Shore 15 years ago next month. It was STIFLING hot! Northern Minnesota hit 108 degrees. We figured if we camped near the shore at Thunder Bay we'd be okay. 105 degrees there! It was a beautiful drive, but OH MAN was it hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Vail, Colorado.

It's beautiful in the summer time, night temps in the 30's and 40's. For $3k that is more than adequate to rent a nice condo or small house for a week.
Now there is a good idea. It doesn't have to be Vail. All the major ski resorts in Colorado -- Aspen, Snowmass, Steamboat and others, or go farther north to Jackson Hole, WY. Bring a sweater to any of them, because the nights WILL be cool, and maybe the days too. There's plenty to do and see. Bring a camera with a good telephoto lens and get some wildlife pix, mountain wildflowers, scenics, etc., etc.

You could even fly to Denver (or Jackson and probably others) and rent a motor home to tour the mountains by day and enjoy a campfire in the cool of the night.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM

32 posts, read 66,914 times
Buenos Aires. I think it's fall or winter there. Pay $1k for a ticket; $150-200 a month for a room; and probably no more than $300 a month on food with some discretionary spending and you're all stacks on deck.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,607,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
We're looking to take a trip this summer but would like to go someplace cool (weather-wise). Our last couple of trips have been to hot places and we'd like to see if we can go someplace with nice cool temperatures this summer and take a break from the heat in Houston.

Any ideas of fun places to go in June-August where the weather will be cool?
One of my favorite places in the US is the San Juan Islands in Washington state. You have to take a ferry but once you're there...the weather is usually much cooler (70s) and it's absolutely stunning. Fly to Seattle and rent a car. Plus...the San Juans is home to a pod of Orca Whales that live there year-round and you can take whale watching tours or if you're brave, take out a kayak. During the late summer, migrating Orcas can be seen everywhere. I love it there and every time I go, I always am amazed that it's one of those places that never disappoints. The people I've taken with me always say it's one of their favorite places too. You're surrounded by water, the pine trees are wonderfully thick and green, on clear days, you can see the mountain ranges and the wildlife is fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or