U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM

964 posts, read 1,524,558 times

Advertisements

I've never tried to pay for a motel with cash, but if you stay in hostels or similar lodging, cash is definitely accepted. But I'm not a 5-star hotel kind of guy, either. I like meeting international travelers. I like camping. I like getting away from it all.

I only have debit cards-- no credit rating at all. I'm a tenant, with a car paid in cash, and no record of revolving debt whatsoever, so I couldn't get a credit card if I offered my left arm as collateral. It requires a certain level of planning for vacations. I keep track of which rental car companies accept debits and which do not. I always know how much to keep in that account for the "hold," which is usually $500 over a seven to ten-day period. Rent-A-Wreck is an option if you don't mind driving an older car. Call ahead. It's a pain, but not impossible.

I understand the rental car policy. They're handing me the keys to a nearly-new Ford Focus worth more than my life itself. Motels are businesses often targeted (in my area) by thieves, prostitutes and other deadbeats. They have the right to refuse service, and to protect employee and guest safety, even if it includes denying cash customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM

300 posts, read 656,143 times
So have you ever had problems with debit cards at motels?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM

THough how is a credit card (with a potentially low limit) more secure for the car company than a substantial cash deposit or a hook into the debit card. They would get a lot more out of me hooking the debit card. I guess they are using it as a screening tool which is wrong. Anyone who can pay should not be denied. I do think not accepting debit probably is a violation of the agreement. Whats it to them? Like I said 10 years ago you supposedly could rent cars with debit now you cannot easily. In 10 years I suspect it will be hard to rent a motel with debit in some areas and I think people you Radio Silence more than me should care as I have an actual credit card. I actually have three but they are all very low limit. Most of my scenarios like the holds put on them for days are unlikely but I dont think you Radio Silence should have to exist on the fringes because you choose not to carry credit cards. You should be able to rent cars too. They can hook your debit card the same way as a credit card. Honestly that kind of a hook into someones money is a lot more to lose for almost anyoen that a few hundred dollars of credit. Do you want a world where only people with good credit can take vacations? That is not a world I want to see happen.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Radio Silence, why do you want to tolerate it? I am sure the companies that take debit are becoming fewer and farther between. I dont know of many people who could charge an actual full price of a car on their credit card. Though in this day and age I am surprised they dont preauth 20k.

If you wanted to stay at a 5 star place and could not becasue you choose not to carry credit cards would you not be outraged?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM

And only if people get outraged will they stop this. Dont you hate the hassle and having to drive crappy cars just cause of policy? The entire credit system is proven to be unfair. RadioSilence you seem to have found a way to work around the system and seem content with it. Even with my 500 dollar credit cards I can operate within ths sytem but think its an outrage that I would want to. Despite having credit card I am inclined to do busienss wiht those people who day take debit. Cash well thats a lost cause though most motels will still take it on check out. As long as you ahve the almighty credit card on check in. Even the motel who had the sign about the no debit card policy claimed they would have been willing to work with me had I told them I wanted to stay longer. I just did not give them the chance. The sign said I dont want your business. If it had not been my anniversary I would have walked out the door even though I was using a credit card to pay for the room and gone somewhere else. The guilt on my conscience for supporting an orginazation who does not want my business or yours except maybe as the exception to the rule, well I literally am still sick from it weeks later.

I got an apology from the owner of that motel. I left when I ran out of credit. They say they would have taken my debit card as did the one I found randomly searching the Internet and sent a nasty email too. I dont doubt all can find exceptions. Though one can never count on exceptions. The day will come when I or somone else will have a debit card with thousands but be low on credit and end up frozen to death in the car because nobody would rent to them. That will happen unless people give a crap and stop seeing it from the point of view of the corporations. If they dont want cash you should be able to walk down to walmart and buy a prepaid card. Sometimes travel is necessary without being able to plan. I can survive in the system. I just want to CHANGE the system. Isnt that what America is supposed ot be about. If you dont like it, change it. Too bad my idealism died with the 1960s (even though I was born in the 70s). Does nobody care? Apparently not. Why do you think our freedoms are whittled away? Why do we live in a poilce state. Cause people bend over and take it as long as they can survive it. Even if completely disinfranchised they take it. I am sure I will have good credit and a high limit in a year or two. Even though that is very dangerous casue I could bend to what the corporations want and end up bankrupt. I am sure I can stay at the marriott. Though I will probably end up being the guy frozen in the car because I will show them my credit card and walk out the door. I will take my business elsewhere and if I have nowhere to take it then I guess its over

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM

FYI what I mean by dangerous is if I bend to the consumerism that has become the norm I could end up screwed like many people who have lots of debt

Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM

There is a slight possibility that maybe this issue bothers me a tiny bit too much but I doubt that

Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 PM

964 posts, read 1,524,558 times
No motel in the U.S. has ever declined my debit card. The clerk sometimes makes a sour face, because I use a bank that is not national, but he or she usually spots the VISA logo in the corner without my help. This includes the Motel 6 in Bemidji, up to the Hilton at Boston Logan Airport.

Rental cars are a pain, yes. I won't use Enterprise, for example, because their policy differs by franchisee. I got burned when a franchisee changed, and eliminated debit cards as a form of payment. I wrote the company, explaining I would not rent from them again, and I had instructed my perfectly credit-worthy family members to do the same. It's certainly unfair. But no business is compelled to serve me. McDonald's is free to deny me a Big Mac, even if I have the money. So-and-so Rental is free to do the same with cars.

On a tangent, the irony is I feel I would be a great credit candidate. I have a normal full-time job, and I have never, ever missed a bill payment. I don't exceed my means. But I've never earned enough money to support home ownership. I paid for a car in cash because I could, and because I don't need the newest, fanciest car on the lot. My bank doesn't offer secured credit cards either. To be honest, I have no idea how I would get a credit card at this point in my life. Capital One loves to send me junk mail, though.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,699,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
for a while I proudly reported every place the asked for ID for a CC transaction to the card company.
After which they probably called the hotel and said "Thank you for making sure people aren't using stolen cards.".

If someone stole your card and bought something with it, you'd be on here bitching and moaning because some evil company didn't verify they were the cardholder.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Actually hotels that ask for credit never tend to ask for ID. Its convenience stores along the I-5 corridor that I have experienced this at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel