U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM

300 posts, read 656,006 times

Advertisements

Radio Silence. What rental car companies do you have luck with? I might just have to rent from them in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM

How about outside of the US? The one who I ran into was in Canada of all places. Though the one I emailed to just cause was in Texas though they said they would take my debit card despite their policy. the fact you boycott enterprise and advise others to do the same is the kind of thing that makes me realize there is still hope.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 PM

963 posts, read 1,524,184 times
Even though Enterprise owns them, I have used Alamo and National, which allow debit card use with proof of itinerary. Hertz and Avis run credit background checks, so I can't use them. I haven't checked with Budget, Thrifty or Dollar in a few years. I usually book through a third party website like Orbitz. I mentioned Rent-a-Wreck earlier, which takes debit, no questions asked, but Rent-a-Wreck has few airport locations.

The only motel that warned me of debit card denial-- because I asked ahead of time-- was in Manitoba.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Intersting. perhaps this practice is more widespread in Canada than the US (as my experience was in Victoria, BC). Though its not universal there. Thanks for the pointers.

FYI - If you ever did want a CC (it would be low limit) but Capitol One, Credit One, HSBC and First Premier all cater to lower credit scores. I have Cap One and HSBC. I dont like credit but I felt the need as you know. Not suggesting you do but you said you couldnt and you might well be able to.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,477,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
THough how is a credit card (with a potentially low limit) more secure for the car company than a substantial cash deposit or a hook into the debit card.
Because the funds on a debit card are limited. For example, if a person does $3000 worth of damage to a rental car, and the rental car company tries to get that moeny back from the renter: if it is a debit card, they can only charge the maximum amount of funds in that person's account; if there is only $500 in the account, the car company cannot submit a charge for more than $500 or it will get denied. If it is a credit card, they can submit a charge over the person's limit and, in line with the rental agreement, the bank will have to pay it, and then the bank has to do the work to go after the person for the funds.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,477,387 times
Quote:
Actually hotels that ask for credit never tend to ask for ID.

Actually, we took a trip down to Atlanta this past weekend and, when we checked in at the Marriott down there, the clerk at the desk asked to see my ID, right along with my CC and my Marriott gold card.

True, more often than not hotels do not ask for ID, but it is not that unusual. I used to travel every week for work and I was asked for an ID occasionally upon check in - usually in a larger, downtown metro areas like NYC or DC.

Quote:
If you wanted to stay at a 5 star place and could not becasue you choose not to carry credit cards would you not be outraged?

I would assume that most people staying at high-end hotels are not that concerned about this being an issue.

Quote:
FYI what I mean by dangerous is if I bend to the consumerism that has become the norm I could end up screwed like many people who have lots of debt
Plenty of people spend money, use credit cards regularly and do not have any debt. Its called responsbile money management.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 AM

So you are saying that regardless of limit the CC company will pay a rental car company for unlimited damages. Is this true with hotels. If so, this is wrong. It makes some sense. So using a CC provides some insurance to the reciever that a debit does not. That is interesting.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Why would banks agree to something like that? They would be screwed if someone with a low limit card wrecked a rental car. Isnt that what car insurance is for

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM

Tober138. I would have to agree that some people are responsible but there are plenty who live well outside their means. Pretty much anyone with a mortgage technically could fall into that category if you want to hair split. Plenty are on the edge of ruin (I think it was 60% that live paycheck to paycheck).

Responsible money management does not gurantee things go well. What happens if you get seriously injured in this country and dont have insurance or you get denied.

We are all one step away from bad credit. If you get injured and cannot work anymore you will lose your health insurance and end up in bankrupty fast.

When people are underpaid and the costs go up, Many good moral hard working people are at the whim of a corporate budget cut to determine their security.

A good piece of it is luck

I no longer believe that if you work hard and play by the rules you will end up OK.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Finally someone actually explained why rental cars do what they do. I dont like it or think its fair but at least there is real reason for it (if they can get the CC company to pay well above the limit for damages). I think there should be some kind of insurance you can buy for this and they should offer it as an alternative for those without (or who dont want to use) credit cards. Up until now I thought they were just assuming credit card holders are better people and they hate everyone else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel