U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,214,275 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder if hotels and motels will have to change their credit card policy with all the credit card changes coming down the pike. Credit card companies are cutting limits and forcing more people to go to a cash-only basis. I think that will lead to less people owning credit cards in the future (either they won't want them or can't qualify for them), which means the way business is conducted on Internet sites such as Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, etc, and hotels, motels and airlines. It'll be worth it to see how much things will change in the future.

I'm one who travels a lot and if I pay through an Internet site, it is hard to pay when I show up, because the bill is already paid. How will I get my refund? The hotel doesn't owe it to me and whatever site I used has already charged for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM

1,041 posts, read 4,034,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I have to wonder if hotels and motels will have to change their credit card policy with all the credit card changes coming down the pike. Credit card companies are cutting limits and forcing more people to go to a cash-only basis. I think that will lead to less people owning credit cards in the future (either they won't want them or can't qualify for them), which means the way business is conducted on Internet sites such as Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, etc, and hotels, motels and airlines. It'll be worth it to see how much things will change in the future.

I'm one who travels a lot and if I pay through an Internet site, it is hard to pay when I show up, because the bill is already paid. How will I get my refund? The hotel doesn't owe it to me and whatever site I used has already charged for it.
When I have a guest who is demanding a refund and are prepaid through a wholesaler, I will either refer them to that wholesaler (whether it is AAA, Costco or Expedia...etc) or call that wholesaler for them. At the hotel, we have a bit of pull and can more easily get the payment back for the guest. All you have to say is that we won't be charging the guest for x amount of nights so please refund them for that amount. If worst comes to worse, we can always pay out a guest or provide them with a credit to their folio.

I think dealing with 3rd party vendors/wholesalers is much more difficult. Travel agents and most travel companies are very helpful and professional. When I call Expedia, Orbitz, etc you almost have to fight them and the majority of reps do not have a good grasp on English. This is why I always tell guests to book directly through the hotel.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't see how they can charge it when if you don't sign all you have top do is dispute the charge. Then they have to take you to court or nothing.Never heard of this before.
You do sign--when you sign the check-in slip you state (in fine print) that you will be held accountable for any damages through winth holding of deposit or charge to your credit card.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post

Oh please. Just pay it off every month and you should ahve plenty of room. I don't ahve a single card with under a $20K credit line, and unless I'm staying in some $8K a night hotel suite, I certainly can't see exceeding it on a night at the Hampton Inn.

The hotel can still require a credit card imprint or cash deposit when you check in--many do, even on prepaid nights. Check the fine print, it's there. And if you don't abide by the rules you agreed to when reserving and paying for the room, they don't have to let you stay there, and they don't ahve to refund your money.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 PM

6,150 posts, read 6,319,318 times
I know hotels take an imprint of your card when you check in. But do they actually process a charge other than to make sure the card is valid when you first check in. I have used credit cards with very low limits and never had a problem.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I know hotels take an imprint of your card when you check in. But do they actually process a charge other than to make sure the card is valid when you first check in. I have used credit cards with very low limits and never had a problem.
They run the card through the system to make sure it is valid and can (and usually do) put a hold on it for their typical deposit amount. The hold is released after you check out.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM

6,150 posts, read 6,319,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They run the card through the system to make sure it is valid and can (and usually do) put a hold on it for their typical deposit amount. The hold is released after you check out.
Rental car companies usually only put a hold of $200. So the hold a hotel uses must not be much

Old 06-22-2009, 05:48 PM

263 posts, read 663,217 times
i always pay cash because i don't have any plastic. never have had a problem getting a room anywhere. sometimes they want you to pay up front, sometimes not. one place this year charged us a $50 damage deposit, but the same lady handed it back to us in the morning without even checking the room. i questioned that, but she said "we never check".

Old 06-27-2009, 12:01 PM

179 posts, read 488,572 times
The way it works at my hotel is we ask for a credit card upon check in and do not accept cash up front, although they may very well pay in cash when they check out. I get annoyed with people paying cash because it takes forever and then later I'll have to mess with my cash drawer and that takes time. When you pay with a credit card, the computer authorizes, but does not charge, the full amount and tax plus about an extra $50 in case if the guest gets any incidentals (movies, phone, room service, etc). Then it is charged when the guest checks out. If you use a debit card, the money is not only authorized, but your bank actually takes the money and 'holds' it. Then the hotel will charge you upon your check out. When this happens, it looks like you are being charged twice, but are actually not. The money that your bank is holding will be returned to you usually in a couple days, but may take up to 7-10 days to return to your account. This can also happen at rental car companies, so just be careful when using a debit card at these types of places.

As far as the security deposit is concerned, the hotel can and will charge a smoking fee (usually $250) if there is evidence that the guest smoked in the room (and pictures are taken of said evidence). We had a huge New Years Eve party at our hotel and several guests smoked in non-smoking rooms. We charged all of them, and almost all of them called and tryed to dispute. Our general manager spoke to them and emailed them the photos of evidence. It didn't get any further than that.

At another hotel I worked at, we had Penthouse Suites, and some people would try to throw parties in them when we had a clear and strict no party policy. Those people lost their $400 deposit. That's why people throw parties at Red Roof, Motel 6 and Super 8 because they don't care about their properties as much as higher quality hotel chains, like Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
At another hotel I worked at, we had Penthouse Suites, and some people would try to throw parties in them when we had a clear and strict no party policy. Those people lost their $400 deposit. That's why people throw parties at Red Roof, Motel 6 and Super 8 because they don't care about their properties as much as higher quality hotel chains, like Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood.
No the quality hotels USED to allow people to throw parties ... until they realized that they were writing off as many rooms as they were selling to the parties.

Also, many of the limited service properties - Courtyard, Residence inns, etc.- have limited management coverage on weekends and the threat of parties was forcing them to be at the property every weekend.

At the property I worked at, the worst party was a lacrosse team consisting of friends of the GM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel