U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times

Advertisements

My friends and I took up about half the rooms on one end of the top floor of a large luxury hotel one weekend. We booked about eight rooms plus a 3 BR suite. Our "party" was pretty darn quiet. The out of control party was in the other suite at the other end of the hall. Underage drinking, loud music, smoking on a non-smoking floor, people trying to wander into our suite, we had to call hotel security several times on them.

Before we left we cleaned our suite, boxed and bagged up all the garbage, wiped down everything. It was as clean as when we got there, except there was trash to be removed. We also didn't allow any smoking. I actually got a letter after we got home from teh manager thanking us for being such considerate guests and apologizing for the other party being so out of control.

Not all "parties" are crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:59 PM

32,378 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
I get annoyed with people paying cash because it takes forever and then later I'll have to mess with my cash drawer and that takes time.
You poor thing. Actually having to provide customer service and all.

Isn't not having to pay the credit card company for the privilege of transferring money that's yours to begin with worth the unspeakable horror of counting cash?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,761,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You poor thing. Actually having to provide customer service and all.

Isn't not having to pay the credit card company for the privilege of transferring money that's yours to begin with worth the unspeakable horror of counting cash?
Considering the fact that most hotels are located close to highways, their front desks are easy targets for quick, armed robberies. I'd rather not walk in to the lobby of a hotel and encounter that scenario. I feel that they shouldn't accept cash payments for rooms at hotels, in the interest of guest and employee safety. JMHO.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:04 PM

300 posts, read 656,006 times
Thats not the point. I am so sick of everyone assuming everyone has a 20k credit card line. Mine is 500 dollars. The highest I have ever had in my life was 1500. Yet when I travel I save up for it and like to stay at nice places for a night or two. I actually found one that wouldnt take a visa logo debit card. What they have done is the same as the deplorable practice of credit checks in apartments. They only want the 1 percent staying there. This should be and must be made illegal. If they want to charge a deposit I should be able to pay it up front with cash. Banks are PRIVATE and therefore I should be able to choose not to deal with them if I so desire

Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
Thats not the point. I am so sick of everyone assuming everyone has a 20k credit card line. Mine is 500 dollars. The highest I have ever had in my life was 1500. Yet when I travel I save up for it and like to stay at nice places for a night or two. I actually found one that wouldnt take a visa logo debit card. What they have done is the same as the deplorable practice of credit checks in apartments. They only want the 1 percent staying there. This should be and must be made illegal. If they want to charge a deposit I should be able to pay it up front with cash. Banks are PRIVATE and therefore I should be able to choose not to deal with them if I so desire
And hotels aren't private? They can likewise choose to not deal with you if you don't meet the criteria they set for all guests.

PS--If I were a landlord there's no way I wouldn't run a credit check on a tenant. Do you have any idea how hard it is to evict a deadbeat tenant? It can take a year, and while they aren't paying rent, you still need to pay the mortgage and taxes.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
On a trip by car, last November, I was surprised that a motel we stopped at about 9:00 PM refused to take cash as a payment.

The older guy said we needed a credit card or an extra $200 damage deposit in case the room got trashed. ( the wife and I are 63)

What I don't understand is, --if--there was damages, shouldn't he have to proceed in court to collect and not the other way around--( him deducting the damages from my credit card and ---I--having to contest it )

I knew one has to make a damage deposit when leasing an apartment.
I didn't know the same applies for renting a motel for one night !
No he can demand a deposit and if you disagree then you can go else where.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 AM

You cannot go elsewhere when there is an industry standard practice and everyone is doing it. That makes it no less evil. The sheeple of the world tend to follow suit. Deposits are fine. Just requiring people to do business with evil banks or sleep outside is not OK. All you conservatives will hate this but we have a goverment for a reason.

Also the credit check thing. I am a PERFECT tenant. I pay rent above all else. Soemtimes that has damaged my credit. I can see to some extent why they run credit checks but rental history should be the real key. Credit checks are full of errors and honestly why would peopel with perfect credit be renting to begin with. Again an industry standard that ruins peoples lives.

Btw I have a credit card and do rent and my credit is not horrible.

To put in in liberal terms it is class warfare. They only want the people with the 25k credit limit in their motel.

Unfettered freedom of corporations leads to no freedom for anyone but rich people.

Take my business elsewhere. Thats nice in thought but where else you gonna take it.

It should be the law the everyone who does business must except cash.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM

I dont disagree with the deposit thing. Its the credit card or nothing that I disagree with.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
You cannot go elsewhere when there is an industry standard practice and everyone is doing it. That makes it no less evil. The sheeple of the world tend to follow suit. Deposits are fine. Just requiring people to do business with evil banks or sleep outside is not OK. All you conservatives will hate this but we have a goverment for a reason.

Also the credit check thing. I am a PERFECT tenant. I pay rent above all else. Soemtimes that has damaged my credit. I can see to some extent why they run credit checks but rental history should be the real key. Credit checks are full of errors and honestly why would peopel with perfect credit be renting to begin with. Again an industry standard that ruins peoples lives.
The credit industry doesn't ruin lives, people who don't manage credit responsibly ruin their own lives.

Quote:
Btw I have a credit card and do rent and my credit is not horrible.
Then what is the point? If I were a landlord I could care less if someone had made a late payment or two on their credit card over the past year, but it there was a history of sloppy payment I would.

Quote:
To put in in liberal terms it is class warfare. They only want the people with the 25k credit limit in their motel.
Not true, but they want to ensure that the guests are going to be able to cover damage or that three hour phone call to Singapore. Hotels have no idea what your credit limit is when you check in, all they know is that your credit card issuer approved the hold they put on the card.

Quote:
Unfettered freedom of corporations leads to no freedom for anyone but rich people.
You don't need to be rich to have a credit card with a $2000 limit, you just need to pay your bills on time. That has nothing to do with being rich and everything to do with being responsible.

Quote:
Take my business elsewhere. Thats nice in thought but where else you gonna take it.
Pay in full when you reserve and then you can use your card as a deposit hold when you check in.

Quote:
It should be the law the everyone who does business must except cash.
I disagree. My company doesn't accept cash. We'll take a wire transfer, a credit card, or from a handful of well established customers, a company check.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM

I dont think seven years of homelessness is fair even for people who do make decisions. Also not all with bad credit are bad with their finances. There are such things as job losses etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel