Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM

303 posts, read 821,153 times

Advertisements

What really irks me is that some motels claim now not to take debit cards. I just so happened to use a credit card at one but the policy so aggrivated me I nearly did not enjoy my vacation because of it. Typically I just pay with a debit card or the low limit credit card. The problem would be if they decided they wanted mroe than 500 bucks and it had to be on a real credit card. I might have 3000 in the bank but not on a real credit card. In the US most still take debit cards so it would be OK but the place I went to in Canada that would not, I technically could not have stayed their one more night because of a low limit card despite having over 3000 in my bank.

What about people who just object to being in debt? And dont say pay it off every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I dont think seven years of homelessness is fair even for people who do make decisions. Also not all with bad credit are bad with their finances. There are such things as job losses etc.
Don't they still have secured credit cards? Take the cash and put it towards one.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM

I have thought of that. though that takes a lot of advance planning. I would like to be able to decide today I want to do something. Also does anyone know if they do this crap in Europe or can you just rent with Euros. I am planning to take a trip there in a few years and doubt I will have a credit card with 10 times the amount needed on it. I have no objection to using my debit card or cold hard Euros or whatever theya re

Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
What really irks me is that some motels claim now not to take debit cards. I just so happened to use a credit card at one but the policy so aggrivated me I nearly did not enjoy my vacation because of it. Typically I just pay with a debit card or the low limit credit card. The problem would be if they decided they wanted mroe than 500 bucks and it had to be on a real credit card. I might have 3000 in the bank but not on a real credit card. In the US most still take debit cards so it would be OK but the place I went to in Canada that would not, I technically could not have stayed their one more night because of a low limit card despite having over 3000 in my bank.

What about people who just object to being in debt? And dont say pay it off every month.
Why wouldn't I say pay it off every month?

I don't carry debt except a mortgage, but I use credit cards. I don't buy what I don't have in the bank to pay cash for and use the cards for convenience and perks. That's not being in debt. You can pay it off the day it hits your card if it makes you feel better.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
We were travailing around the Yellowstone area and we stopped at a hotel and to our surprise they took cash and didn't even ask for ID or a CC.

I thought those days were gone long ago and if you wanted to pay in cash they would still require a ID and a CC just in case.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
We were travailing around the Yellowstone area and we stopped at a hotel and to our surprise they took cash and didn't even ask for ID or a CC.

I thought those days were gone long ago and if you wanted to pay in cash they would still require a ID and a CC just in case.
Some of the smaller mom and pop places will still take cash. I'm surprised they didn't ask for ID though. Some states require hotels to get positive ID from all guests.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
What was the name of this flop house and where was it. I certainly wouldn't stay there.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The older guy said we needed a credit card or an extra $200 damage deposit in case the room got trashed. ( the wife and I are 63)

What I don't understand is, --if--there was damages, shouldn't he have to proceed in court to collect and not the other way around--( him deducting the damages from my credit card and ---I--having to contest it
Thank the irresponsible travelers before you, including seniors, that have left small business owners holding the bag. As for contesting a damage charge. They typically photograph the damage with a time stamp, so you would be hard pressed to argue the charges, should they need to be made.

Welcome to life in the modern era.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Thank the irresponsible travelers before you, including seniors, that have left small business owners holding the bag. As for contesting a damage charge. They typically photograph the damage with a time stamp, so you would be hard pressed to argue the charges, should they need to be made.

Welcome to life in the modern era.
You are saying he should roll over and accept it, no way!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM

That exactly the point. I am sick of rolling over and taking it because some idiots out there do stupid things. Credit cards are evil. They should at least have to take debit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel