U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM

300 posts, read 657,275 times

Advertisements

FYI my point about getting declined on day three is that it can often take 3-5 BUSINESS days for that hold to drop off even if you pay on check out with another method.

"The typical damage deposit is $200 or less. If you don't have the credit to afford to temporarily charge" the damage deposit to your card, it may go a long way to explaining why you encounter so much difficulty when travelling."

Why should I need CREDIT to do that. I have available funds and they can auth my debit card. I actually have not had problems. I just think I will if the world follows suit with this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,485,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
Here is my imaginery scenario.....

Quote:
We need to take a stand and get some kind of regulation to this before motels become only for the "normal" I wont say the rich
I am sure there will always be plenty of places that offer a bed and a bathroom for a cheap rate. Just like there will always be hotels and resorts that can cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars per night. Not everyone can afford the latter, and many people would never consider the former, but I think there will always be hotel choices available for people of all income levels.

Quote:
(though what about people I know that boycott banks, They are SOL).
Well - that's their choice. Choices have ramifications.

Quote:
If I were to start a business and refuse to accept anything but Rubles (in the USA) how long before someone shuts me down?
I don't think you would be "shut down" so much as go out of business because you would likely have no customers.

Quote:
only accepting real credit is true discrimination
Yeah...and what about those places that don't take American Express? That is discrimination against us AMEX holders.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM

AMEX is not legal tender currency

Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,886,373 times
Quote:
AMEX is not legal tender currency

Why not? You are aware that in the USA the term "Legal Tender" simply means that the payment is in US Dollars and not some other currency? So, if the Amex is paying and being accepted in US Dollar denominations, it becomes legal tender.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM

In that case maybe they should legally have to accept it

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, one reason AMEX is not always accepted is because their merchant fees are significantly higher than for Visa or Mastercard. So some places do not accept AMEX in order to keep their costs down. Are you suggesting a law force businesses to have to spend more money just to accommodate people who prefer to pay with an AMEX?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,886,373 times
Quote:
US laws only require that debts be paid in Legal Tender. Legal Tender is US funds (not the same as US Dollars). So a hotel can accept any form of payment, cash, credit cards, debit cards, money orders, checks, electronic funds, etc., so long as the way its paid is US dollars. They can not demand payment in Euros, Yen, gold, silver, sheep, hogs, sex, or anything but US dollars. NOW, there are some states that do require that an establishment accept payments in certain types of legal tender, so some require that cash must be accepted for in-state transacation.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 PM

Legal or not something needs to be done and it needs to be made illegal. In reality they should all be forced to take cash but to deny debit is to deny those with bad credit a place to stay. Like I have said many times bad policies spread like cancer. People follow suit and dont even care why. I already boycott the entire rental car industry and always will due to that policy. Even with good credit not everyone has credit cards or wants them. Getting secured cards even require a lot of planning ahead meaning at the moment of denial of service you cannot make it right. its discrimination pure and simple. Now I just need to find a way to get the ACLU involved. The sad thing is I probably could do OK and never have had a problem. If things stay as they are simply going elsewhere is an option. Soon I fear it wont be. At least not in North America. Even if I can rent a motel at a place that refuses cash and debit I hope never to do so. I was so upset a sign stating this at a place I did stay and actual by choice happened to be paying with my low limit credit card that I did not enjoy my vacation to the fullest and have been obsessing over this since I got back. I dont want to play the game. i want to change the rules. Nobody else on the planet seems to care as long as it doesnt directly affect them. That is what is truly wrong with this world nowadays.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
In reality they should all be forced to take cash...
I just got back from Aruba. I'm trying to imagine people paying with physical cash for rooms that cost $500-$800 per night. What a nightmare that would be for them, on a number of levels.

Businesses should be allowed to set whatever policies they like. If people don't like the policies, they can take their business elsewhere. If said practices cause a business to lose too many customers, then they need to adjust their policies accordingly to stay open. Seems like a good way to go as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
Even if I can rent a motel at a place that refuses cash and debit I hope never to do so. I was so upset a sign stating this at a place I did stay and actual by choice happened to be paying with my low limit credit card that I did not enjoy my vacation to the fullest and have been obsessing over this since I got back.
Wow...if having to use a CC and then pay it off when you got back from vacation caused you that much stress, maybe you need help.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM

What stressed me out is what if I hadnt had that CC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel