U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 AM

300 posts, read 655,733 times

Advertisements

I still think if everyone follows suit where is one going to take their business to. Right now you can. Try to rent a car without a real credit card. I could rent a car but I never will. When take your business elsewhere means take your business nowhere thats when we are all screwed. There needs to be an elsewhere. Thats why we have laws. Your statement about busiensses making whatever policies they want only goes so far. What if they wont rent to me cause I am white. Anyway I am not suggesting anyone force your Aruban hotel to not accept credit. Just force them to allow those who choose not to use it another way. I could never stay there (unless they would take my fully usable debit card) just cause my real credit card is low limit and I dont think I have the capacity to get a higher limit (unless I were to play the game more). And to those who hate those with bad credit. I pay my bills and I am recovering but when you lose your job for no fault of your own and cannot pay how does that make you a deadbeat. Perhaps 7 years is too long. My score is low only because of crap that is four years old now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,625,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
Here is my point. Lets say I have 10K to blow on a road trip. We are going to assume that all motels have followed suit now and dont take debit cards anymore (I realize today most do but bad things tend to spread like cancer). Here is my imaginery scenario

I have my CC with a 500 limit and a debit card with visa logo with full access to my 10k that I am ready to blow on this trip to Florida lets say.

I leave Seattle in my old car (cause I dont rent cars due to their draconian policies) and drive all day to the Marriott in Humptulips, WA. They hook my card for 200. I pay when I leave with my debit card.

I drive all day to Fruitloop, Idaho and stop at the Howard Johnson. They do the same thing. All seems well.

Day three I drive all the way to Cowfart, Wyoming. I try to check in to Zeke's Motel and Zeke informs me my card is declined. Zeke wont even try to auth my debit card. I am too tired to drive. I have now well over 9k waiting to spend but not enough Credit or what I should call Monopoly money. I am screwed. So one of three outcomes

1) I beg Zeke and he makes an exception to policy (actually the places I found on line at this time who advertise such a policy stated when I emailed them that they would). I should not have to be the exception and one cannot count on exceptions
2) I keep driving, fall asleep at the wheel and die
3) I take a nap, get arrested for vagrancy and spend the night in the Cowfart County Jail.

Zeke never had a problem but some idiot at a convention somewhere told him he should not accept debit cards and its now 2016 and the world has followed suit. Just like other bad things.

We need to take a stand and get some kind of regulation to this before motels become only for the "normal" I wont say the rich

Now such a thing is unlikely and by then I potentially could get a high limit card (though what about people I know that boycott banks, They are SOL).

If I were to start a business and refuse to accept anything but Rubles (in the USA) how long before someone shuts me down?

Since when is being approved by a bank for anything or having to do business with a bank a condition of sleeping somewhere?

My take is I understand they may need security but only accepting real credit is true discrimination

FYI - I dont hate the rich. I hate income inequality and the fact its impossible for most to ever achieve true richness in this country.
If you have a $500 limit card, all you have to do is transfer the amount you want to spend from your savings to that card -- or write them a check.

Then whatever amount you prepaid them plus the $500 limit is your actual limit.

I do this sometimes because I want to use the credit card on a trip for everything but I don't want to have to pay later.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,625,005 times
The other thing you could do is get some online bill payment and have it pay your credit card every week or two weeks whatever amount you think you might be spending on your trip and keep it over $500. You could have start out with $200 which makes it a $700 limit, or put in $500 and have a $1000 limit, then have automatic transfers keep it where you want.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM

300 posts, read 655,733 times
Capitol one does not allow you to overpay and raise your limit,

Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Credit card companies prey on people. It would be impossible to get a credit card with any kind of limit that you would need to take an extended vacation without accumulating (and paying for) much debt. The debt free would be the most screwed by our current system. Those with bad credit are in much better shape than those with NONE. Anyone who is of age and can pay should not be denied service. I actually have never rented a car in my life because of their draconian policy. Note I have had credit cards for over 10 years. I just choose not to do business with draconian companys. My fear is people are following suit and a motel is a necessity. A rental car is a nice to have
If you've got the cash in the bank and good credit, you can set your credit card up so that your entire monthly bill is paid in full each month. So you'll never pay a fee or interest. Responsible people do it all the time. I've got over $100K in available credit lines on credit cards, I've never paid a dime in interest or a fee. They pay me for using their cards.

I wouldn't rent a car to someone obviously not responsible enough with their personal finances to have a credit card, why should I? I'm handing over the keys to a $30K car and there's no guarantee that it won't be left in the long term lot at JFK while the renter skips to Thailand for a few years?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
hotels close to major international airports accept cash from people staying there. Reason-many times there are international passengers who prefer cash rather then payment thru credit cards which put up unnecessary charges for international transactions.
Some cards have either no or very low fees for international purchases. You just have to read the fine print and know which card to use.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
It was the Days Inn in Victoria BC that wont take debit cards. Going low end is always an option. Occasionally I like to stay in nicer places. I can with my credit card but would be limited to a day or two even if I had a million dollars. Thats what bugs me. With OK but not great credit getting a credit line increase is like moving a mountain. Beyond that I dont want to play that game. I should not have to. If I want to use my debit card I should be able to. I realize I still can at most places. its the following suit that has me alarmed about a few years from now. Car rentals are a good example of such things. I dont think I should have to get a 20k credit limit to be able to stay in a flippin days in for a week
You don't need a $20K limit, $3K would be more than enough for a Days Inn. If you want the Four Seasons you'll need a higher limit.

By the way, the Hilton Honors Amex has no annual fee, gives points for purchases that you can use towards hotel nights in any of their brands, and has no preset spending limits. That means that even if your "credit line" with them is $5K, they will continue to approve spending to at least double that as long as you've got a good history of paying your bills with them--and no over the limit fees, either.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Declining a debit card as in I cant stay another day cause their hold over limited my real credit card and I dont have enough real credit to hold another day. I didnt try but I knew they would deny me due to the sign. The GM confirmed they have a no debit card must be a real credit card policy. That is pure discrimination.
No, it's good business sense. If you take your car to the shop and they fix it, they don't worry about you not paying your bill, because they can legally keep your car and even auction it if you don't pay the bill. An innkeeper can do what? They aren't even allowed to keep your luggage.

Quote:
Say what you want, you either have to be rich or lucky to have perfect and I mean perfect credit in these times.
BS, I"m neither and have an 800+ credit score. I pay my bills on time and don't live beyond my means. It's not difficult.

Quote:
Normal people have slight dings due to life happening.
No, they don't. One of my brothers has never made more than $25K in a year in his life, yet he owns a house and a car and has perfect credit because he lives within his means.

Quote:
My credit is passable but not great therefore my limits are low. to have a real vacation with these draconian policies one would need at least a 10k limit.
Not really. Choose an all inclusive, pay in advance, and the hold will be once in the $100 range.

Quote:
I wonder if they would take 4 or 5 low limit cards at once. Also why should we have to pay interest or even support evil bankers to rent a motel. whats up with that. I realize debit cards are semi evil but at least normal people can get them. What the heck. I make more than the median income in a very expensive part of the country yet life happens. Sometimes I need a vacation and if I have several thousand dollars saved for it I should be able to spend it gosh darn it. If this evil policy mushrooms the way most evil policies do I guess I will have to save thousands and fork it over for a secured card.I want to go Europe in 3 years. Not enough time to perfect credit that was wrecked in 08 due to a job loss and is now up to a 618 score.
If you pay everything on time all the time for the next 12 months and don't carry balances there's no reason your credit won't be in the 700's. And once it hits that you should be able to get a card with a higher balance. I'm going to Europe for a few weeks in a month and have already prepaid my hotels, airfare, many attraction entrance fees. I'll order Euros from my bank before I go, take an ATM withdrawl a couple of times and estimate my total credit card charges will be well under $1000 for the entire trip.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I think the fact I have a credit card yet still think this is evil is part of the point. Even when I get that 10k limit I will stay steer clear of people who barf on the little guy. Kinda like I steer clear of motels that demand you be 21 to rent. I dont make a big deal out of it anymore now that I am nearly 40 but if given the choice I will go elsewhere. I almost ended up freezing to death (quite literally) due to that Draconian policy when I was 19
Hotels have that policy due to bad experiences with teens renting rooms. No one to blame but teens who have ruined it for others.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
One more than I will shut up. My thinking is based on 300 dollars held per day for two weeks. So to take a two week vacation I would need 4200 in CREDIT. Now I might have 10000 in my bank account accessible via my Visa enabled debit card but I have no way to turn that into the only new currency that is acceptable. It might as well be in Rubles if I cant turn it into CREDIT. Right now I could stay in crappy places or maybe get lucky and still be able to use my debit card. This scares me cause I dont foresee anyone ever giving me that high a credit line. Sure I can double pay (let them hold then pay with something else but that doesnt help me in short run). Doesnt matter how many Rubles I got. I wont see that precious CREDIT back for at least 4 or 5 business days. So I guess I cant go to Europe or anywhere else for 2 weeks. Even if I save the money.
That's not how it works. Generally speaking if you check into a hotel that is prepaid, the hotel will put a hold on your card--not per day but per stay. So let's say you are checking into the Boscolo in Rome for a week and you've prepaid the stay. They will put a $300 hold on your card for the entire stay, not per day. Should your room service or phone calls meet or exceed that during your stay, they will ask you to pay an interim bill (which you can do using a debit card if you prefer) before allowing you to make additional charges to your room.

Also many hotels that require a credit card at check in will take cash when you check out. I don't know of any larger/better hotels that refuse cash to settle incidentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel