Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM

303 posts, read 821,257 times

Advertisements

Bad decisions can cause bad credit but the absence of them doesnt make good credit. Perhaps you have a mortgage and that is why you got the 10k card. What if I never aspire to own a home (which you dont really either the bank does). How am I ever going to get to the highly coveted 700 range without a mortgage and with low limit credit cards. Despite the dings from 08 caused by a layoff which was no fault of my own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I was talking just for motel use and not being able to use a debit card and having all my credit tied up for an extensive period of time. Its the LIMIT that is the issue not my ability to pay
Have you considered asking your CC company to authorize a credit increase?

As for hotels not taking them, maybe it is just too much of a hassle, especially for smaller places. I notice signs on occasion at hotels that say additional funds placed on hold can take 7-10 business days to ne released. Maybe some hotels have issues with people checking in with insufficient funds for a hold, or dealing with a lot of people always calling to ask about release. Or maybe they' ve been burned by no-shows and then unable to recoup cancellation fees due to insuficient debit card funds. This is all speculation...was an explanation for refusal of debit cards ever requested?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I just stayed at a Motel 6 in Yuma, AZ last week for two nights, paid cash, they didn't require any additional funds for security.

But I love staying in Tijuana, where I not only pay cash, but they don't even ask for any identification, no driver's license, you just sign the register and you can put down any name you wish. Love that! I can completely disappear from of the face of the world, and no one knows where I'm at!

In Las Vegas here, it's not uncommon, for the police to scoop up copies of the driver's licenses of those staying a motel, take them to a subcommand office and run the names thru the NCIC system to see if there's any outstanding warrants against anyone staying there, which is how they catch so many people who run here to Las Vegas after committing a crime.
There they are, sleeping like a log, and? Knock-knock! Who's there?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM

Welcome to police state USA

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Welcome to police state USA
Then don't go to Europe. You'll have to give them your passport to hold until you leave.

(At least that's they way they did it in 1987 when I traveled for a year.)

Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
That is a complete shocking news to me. I have traveled and stayed at hotels in Europe-noone asked me passport. holding passport no way.where did you go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Then don't go to Europe. You'll have to give them your passport to hold until you leave.

(At least that's they way they did it in 1987 when I traveled for a year.)

Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM

392 posts, read 704,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
As for contesting a damage charge. They typically photograph the damage with a time stamp, so you would be hard pressed to argue the charges, should they need to be made.

Welcome to life in the modern era.
I do not see how that is proof unless the customers are in the photo. You can change the timestamp to whatever you want and there is no way to prove when the photo was taken.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
That exactly the point. I am sick of rolling over and taking it because some idiots out there do stupid things. Credit cards are evil. They should at least have to take debit.
You can have a low limit credit card and just pay money ahead of time to your account, you have 3 months before they send it back to you in the form of a check. That way you can make it like a secured credit card and also like a debit card -- your credit limit would be whatever you paid into it plus your credit limit.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
To put in in liberal terms it is class warfare. They only want the people with the 25k credit limit in their motel.
Class warfare? Really? I don't have close to a $25k limit on my credit card and have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels in several countries without any issues whatsoever.

The typical damage deposit is $200 or less. If you don't have the credit to afford to temporarily charge the damage deposit to your card, it may go a long way to explaining why you encounter so much difficulty when travelling.

I get that you hate the rich, but I can assure you the entire hospitality industry is not in collusion to kick the poor man when he's down and keep him away from their businesses. Seriously... How often do the so-called 1% stay at a Super 8 Motel anyways?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 AM

Here is my point. Lets say I have 10K to blow on a road trip. We are going to assume that all motels have followed suit now and dont take debit cards anymore (I realize today most do but bad things tend to spread like cancer). Here is my imaginery scenario

I have my CC with a 500 limit and a debit card with visa logo with full access to my 10k that I am ready to blow on this trip to Florida lets say.

I leave Seattle in my old car (cause I dont rent cars due to their draconian policies) and drive all day to the Marriott in Humptulips, WA. They hook my card for 200. I pay when I leave with my debit card.

I drive all day to Fruitloop, Idaho and stop at the Howard Johnson. They do the same thing. All seems well.

Day three I drive all the way to Cowfart, Wyoming. I try to check in to Zeke's Motel and Zeke informs me my card is declined. Zeke wont even try to auth my debit card. I am too tired to drive. I have now well over 9k waiting to spend but not enough Credit or what I should call Monopoly money. I am screwed. So one of three outcomes

1) I beg Zeke and he makes an exception to policy (actually the places I found on line at this time who advertise such a policy stated when I emailed them that they would). I should not have to be the exception and one cannot count on exceptions
2) I keep driving, fall asleep at the wheel and die
3) I take a nap, get arrested for vagrancy and spend the night in the Cowfart County Jail.

Zeke never had a problem but some idiot at a convention somewhere told him he should not accept debit cards and its now 2016 and the world has followed suit. Just like other bad things.

We need to take a stand and get some kind of regulation to this before motels become only for the "normal" I wont say the rich

Now such a thing is unlikely and by then I potentially could get a high limit card (though what about people I know that boycott banks, They are SOL).

If I were to start a business and refuse to accept anything but Rubles (in the USA) how long before someone shuts me down?

Since when is being approved by a bank for anything or having to do business with a bank a condition of sleeping somewhere?

My take is I understand they may need security but only accepting real credit is true discrimination

FYI - I dont hate the rich. I hate income inequality and the fact its impossible for most to ever achieve true richness in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel