U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM

114 posts, read 383,119 times

Advertisements

In 2007 we spent 38 days in Europe. The flight between Atlanta and Brussels cost about $2000. We spent about 200 Euros per day, so the whole trip cost about $12,000. Countries we visited were Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, England, Italy and Vatican, and France. We used Ryan Air between the Netherlands and Italy, but traveled mostly by train. We went under the English channel on the Eurostar. We stayed in three star hotels which were all nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 PM

26,592 posts, read 52,413,354 times
All depends if I rent a car... car rental and fuel in Europe is expensive

Last trip was 28 days... airfare and 4 weeks car rental was $2500.

I generally figure $100 per day when staying a month...

I made a lot of friends when I briefly worked in Austria after college... rarely do I stay in a bed and breakfast or Hotel... to do so would run the risk of offending someone

Lodging... cheap $50 a day, typical 200 +/-, upscale $400 and up...

My brother used to go every year and hardly spent anything... airline tickets and a Rail Pass and he was good to go... often slept on the train overnight in route to his next destination...

I stayed at this place about 10 minutes outside Salzburg in August for 36 Euros a night... clean, friendly and family owned... private bath and sauna on site

http://www.salzburgerland.com/eng/tid_contact_2338/direktlink.html (broken link)

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-08-2009 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 AM

83 posts, read 300,365 times
Gas can be very expensive in Europe. I remember it was like $10 a gallon in Norway. I forget what it was in France but, I suspect that's why a lot of people ride scooters there. They were every where in Paris.

Trains are a good travel option. They can put you in right in the downtown area of a city vice having to take a shuttle train in from the airport. Make sure you get a sleeping berth if you travel during the night. I found the so called comfortable sleeping seats weren't very comfortable.

To save money on food, you might find out where the market is and on what days. You could save money by buying fruit and other items there.

Remember a number of museums and other sights charge admission and include that in your travel budget. You should be able to find out what they charge by doing some research on the Internet.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,953,225 times
We used diesel on our rental car in France, and it was actually cheaper.
But we did use the train too. It's just that getting to those out-of-the-way places is easier if you have your own wheels.

In London, many museums are free, including the superb British Museum, the Victoria and Albert, the National Gallery, and the National Portrait Gallery.
Some of the best free entertainment is at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park on Sundays.

Ultrarunner's and our numbers come out very much the same.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,435,741 times
Last time we went was September. We stayed for 2 weeks and drove to 5 different countries. The car rental was expensive, but not so much that we would never do it again. At the time, we lived in NYC, so our airfare was under $500pp, roundtrip.

For hotels, we used mostly Priceline and got them all for well under $100/night and had no complaints. In Italy and Amsterdam, we rented an apartment. Check out www.sleepinitaly.com and www.citymundo.com.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM

48 posts, read 165,224 times
Try not to go in high summer, fares are highest then. Try the shoulders, before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.. Less crowds, too.
Try to avoid renting a car, it is expensive to do so, and gas costs 4X what it costs here.
Train passes are great. Check them out at Eurail Pass.
Try not to visit more than 3 contiguous countries, you don't want to live out of a suitcase.
I am flying roundtrip from upstate NY to Zurich on Continental in October for about $400. Beat that!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 PM

26,592 posts, read 52,413,354 times
This year has been a strange one for buying airline tickets...

I alerted several colleges that Lufthansa/United is offering non-stop San Francisco to Munich in August for $448 plus fees... never seen such a low price in peak season for West Coast, non-stop

Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,953,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This year has been a strange one for buying airline tickets...

I alerted several colleges that Lufthansa/United is offering non-stop San Francisco to Munich in August for $448 plus fees... never seen such a low price in peak season for West Coast, non-stop
Agree.
None of the usual patterns apply.
I think that there have been a few empty planes and the airlines are trying to fill those seats.
We even ended up re-ticketing for France because I found a cheaper fare.
I just got an airfare alert for Jacksonville to Athens for $514 round trip in August! Sometimes you get these and then it turns out that "this fare is not available," but I went to the site and the fare did indeed show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel