U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM

51,816 posts, read 29,888,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Lost an engine leaving Houston Intercontinental for Oakland in December 2000, a couple of minutes off the runway. This was the second compressor stall I had experienced so I knew what the sound meant as soon as I heard it. As we were circling the pilot came on to calm everyone and said; "...even though we lost power in one engine we could have made it to Oakland on the other two engines". Except we were on a 737, only one other engine!

I also was on a C-110 that lost most of its power a few minutes after takeoff, the pilot managed to get us down "safely".

golfgod
LOL.. maybe he thought they were flying a Boeing 727!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,919,397 times
Being a private pilot, I love to fly and rarely get freaked out about having to fly on the airlines. That being said though, the scariest flight I had was when I was flying into SFO about 10 years ago and we had to do three (3) go-arounds due to abnormal crosswind conditions. Go-arounds are common practice for pilots and should be of no concern for the passengers, however, this situation was a little odd because of the fact that even the flight crew seemed very tense and quiet about everything...

We ended up touching down just fine, but everyone gave out a huge sigh of relief after. fun stuff!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,186,627 times
Never will forget when I was flying from Dallas to Louisville when my Dad died in 1981. We had a stop in St. Louis - when landing, right before the wheels should have touched down, the pilot poured on the coal and took off. After some serious banking and what seemed to be strange movements, the pilot came on and apologized. Seems there was a plane at the end of our runway that hadn't gotten out of the way in time.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM

8,897 posts, read 13,648,319 times
Coming in for landing, it felt like the pilot thought we were closer to the ground than we were because the plane seemed it suddenly DROPPED down. Because the landing was so hard, the plane kind of wobbled and I had images of the wing catching the ground and sending us spinning off the runway. All the passengers let out a collective gasp.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Scariest airline experience?
When it comes to flying, nothing is scarier than having to eat the food they give you on the flights.. - Actually when I flew on Hawaiian Air last year from Phoenix to Honolulu and back, they served us really good meals.

Another scary experience... besides paying for the airfare, is having to go through the security check points at the airports, you have to take your shoes off, empty your pockets, take off your belt if it has a metal buckle...

Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM

108 posts, read 236,723 times
Taking off from DIA during a snowstorm. As the plane leaves the ground it immediately starts to yaw. Extremely turbulent all the way up to altitude.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM

6,152 posts, read 6,320,285 times
While on approach to Detroit I felt the a/c all of a sudden climb a couple times. Then the third time I heard the engines spool way up and first we started climbing hard followed by a sudden hard drop. Later I read there had been a near miss reported that day.

However my scariest airline experience came after I got off a flight in Italy. The shuttle ride to the hotel was asbolutely terrifying. I had to close my eyes most of the way. It seems just about all of the drivers there have their own opinion as to where to drive on the road.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,878,890 times
I really really really do not like to fly. I take about 20mg of valium and then wine and it does nothing to me because im so freaked out.

Horror story: Im 13 coming back from the Cayman Islands with my mom. I liked flying then until we hit real bad thunderstorms coming back into Miami. We're on a crop duster and we all can hear the pilot saying "I can't see anything, wheres the buildings?? Wheres the airport?" Meanwhile we were bouncing around like a ping pong ball..

Other than that, just turbulence on the other flights I've taken. I keep my head buried in the bfs lap during take off, landing and turbulence.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 AM

3,850 posts, read 9,437,792 times
I've had 2 experiences that left me a little shaken. Both were on the smaller jets like the Embraer's they use for shorter flights.

One was landing on the return flight home - the pilot announced that we had "lost the flaps" and that we were going to have to land faster than normal. We came in fast, hit the runway hard and had firetrucks and ambulances chasing us all the way down the runway. The pilots did a great job and everything was fine.

The other was on a flight from Houston to Lafayette, LA. The pilot came on and told us we were going to encounter some turbulence and then told the stewardess to "sit down". Right as he said that, there was a huge bump and she went down on the floor, tray of drinks in her hand. For the next few seconds (I swear it seemed like minutes), it felt like a giant hand came out of the sky, grabbed the plane and shook it side to side. Afterwards, the pilot had unknowingly left the intercom on, and when he radioed in he was pretty visibly shaken up (I was glad to know I wasn't the only one!).

Old 06-05-2009, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't call it scary, but just enough to startle me. The captain and first officer didn't say anything about it either, but we were on a flight from Phoenix to Los Cabos, Mexico in 2002, and on pattern entry to approach Los Cabos, on an America West (now US Airways) Boeing 737-300. I was sitting in seat E (middle seat) and my girlfriend at the time was sitting in seat F. I was looking out the window, and I remember seeing the air-brakes/spoilers on the wings were deployed for an extended period of time to slow the aircraft down just before we descended below 10,000 feet, which was unusual. Then I felt the aircraft shudder slightly for about 5 seconds, which was a sign it was going too slow and reached stall speed None of the other passengers thought anything of it, but I knew the captain and first officer made a slight mistake by leaving the spoilers deployed for too long. The second the shuddering started, I saw the spoilers retract and I heard the thrust on the engines increase almost immediately, which was another indication they weren't paying attention to the airspeed in the flight deck until the stall warning sounded. Thankfully, we were still around 10,000 feet, so that gave them plenty of altitude to recover from the stall, otherwise at an altitude of less than 1,000 feet... well, it would have been a different story.

I wanted to talk to the flight crew when we were getting off the aircraft, but had left the flight deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or