U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)

8,686 posts, read 10,836,637 times

Advertisements

From Islip to Boston in a small plane, maybe about 20 people--it was raining/windy and the turbulence was so intense that the plane rocked/broached side to side for almost the entire flight. The woman across from me, in the other aisle seat, was maybe a few feet from me and reached out to me to hold my hand. For anyone to be that nice during a flight, I thought for sure we were going down then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,863,281 times
You remember TWA 800 that exploded in mid-air off of Long Island, NY? I was on the same flight 30 days prior. When we sat on the plane at Kennedy ready to push away from the gate, the pilot came on and said 2 passengers had checked luggage, but then did not board the plane. So, now the airline had to identify their luggage and get it off. The delay was 2 hours. Then a month later, TWA 800 explodes. It freaked me out, although I am not sure why.

TWA Flight 800 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,668,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You remember TWA 800 that exploded in mid-air off of Long Island, NY? I was on the same flight 30 days prior. When we sat on the plane at Kennedy ready to push away from the gate, the pilot came on and said 2 passengers had checked luggage, but then did not board the plane. So, now the airline had to identify their luggage and get it off. The delay was 2 hours. Then a month later, TWA 800 explodes. It freaked me out, although I am not sure why.

TWA Flight 800 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you're sure why. Because it sounds like terrorism.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 AM

My scariest flight was my most recent, and I've flown a lot in my life. Let me preface with my flyinng experience: I've been a frequent flier on Continental for close to 10 years and have flown hundreds of thousands of miles (not a million - yet - but over 700,000). I've flown in the huge 777 and the tiny Beech 1900(?) (which seats only 20, 9 on each side plus a center seat at back, and the co-pilot is the flight attendant also) and most in between - 727, 737, 757, 767, embraer, MD80 and 88. And, I LOVE to fly - I love the window seat, I love looking out the window most of the time, even during take-off and landing.

So, after all that flying, and plenty of aborted approaches, sideways approaches, rocking approaches, thunderstorms, blizzards, and violent turbulence experiences (such that people flew out of their seats into the ceiling), I thought I'd seen it all and couldn't be rattled by anything short of a definite disaster.

Well, in December I was flying into Vegas. The flight was great the whole way, but as we began the initial descent it was turbulent. No big deal, been there/done that, so I continued to look out the window excitedly, looking at Lake Mead and the approaching city of Las Vegas... The turbulence let up but it was very windy in Vegas, so as we approached I could feel the plane rocking and turning, and I could feel the pilots doing what I (by now) know they are so well trained to do by straightening it out as we go. As we are about to touch down, a strong gust of wind came along and it felt like it blew the plane up and to the right. I saw out my window, on the right side of the plane, that we were now dropping down, but on the wing! I thought for sure the wing would hit, and thought it could send us spinning or worse. Somehow, the tip of the wing did not touch but the entire rest of our plane came back down just before the tip of the wing could touch, and I felt us land on one wheel, the right wheel... We bounced off the wheel, the pilots straightened and leveled the plane, and we came back down on the right wheel immediately followed by the left wheel.

I was in the back of the plane - a 757, I believe - and one of the flight attendants was in a bulkhead seat a couple rows ahead of me, facing in towards us. I saw his face and he was shaken, very visibly. A lady in the row right in front of him started to freak out, and this flight attendant go very professional very quickly, and calmed her down. He told her and the others that this kind of thing happens quite often, and it's feels much scarier than it really is. Now, I know that's true for a lot of things, but I really thought this was a little different.

As we were getting off the plane and this same flight attendant was calming people down and wishing everyone good luck, I got my carry-ons out of the overhead compartment and was one of the last few lingering, and I said to the flight attendant, "You know, I've flown with Continental a lot, I've been Platinum elite, and I've been in scary situations, but never, ever anything like that, with a wing about to hit after a last-minute gust hit us like that; I'm surprised to hear, as you were telling others, that this happens, because I've never had it happen like that." He replied by telling me, "Well, to be honest, that was NOT normal; I just wanted everyone calmed down. I thought we were going to lose control, coming down on one wheel like that, because it felt like the the wing was so tilted, I don't know how it didn't touch the runway." We just kind of rolled our eyes and made a few comments along the line of all's well that ends well and I started walking down the aisle to get off the plane, thanking God the whole way for sparing us.

That is the closest I've ever come to being in a plane crash. Still, even if we did, I would think it would be better than a fall-out-of-the-sky plane crash...

As for my flight home, was I nervous? Nah. Sat in the window seat and looked out the whole time, even though there was turbulence - didn't bother me, lol. I still LOVE to fly.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,097,157 times
One time, I landed in Cleveland

Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,636,467 times
My scariest airline experience was a JFK - LAX nonstop flight on American Airlines through severe turbulence.

I had the center seat in the center 5 seat aisle toward the rear of the plane and I could see the ceiling of the aircraft ------> looking toward the front of the plane rotating in a circle (like a long paper towel tube with the nose tip end rolling in a circle). We were jostled up and down and the jet rocked and cracked loudly.

I made what I thought was going to be my final call to my Mother and talked to her for about 25 minutes because I was so terrified. Mother could hear the plane cracking over the phone. The catholics on board were making the sign of the cross and praying, people were throwing up all around me it was the worst flight I've had to date. When we arrived at the gate at LAX there was a stretcher for someone who had severe chest pains.

I never saw a bill for the Airfone call I made on that flight I think someone was listening in.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM

51,816 posts, read 29,893,956 times
In late June of 1979, I took a flight from Phoenix to St. Loius, MO, then to Cincinnatti, OH on TWA, on a Boeing 707, I think it was a 321B variant. It was a typically hot late June afternoon in Phoenix, and the temperature was around 105-110 degrees, and clear skies, and very light winds. When we lifted off the runway and started the climb, we were about 250 or 300 feet above ground when the aircraft dipped about 50 to 75 feet, and it did that 2 or 3 times, just before the 707 climbed above 600 feet, then it continued a smooth climb. It didn't concern me, but I remember hearing one passenger in a seat behind me going "Whoa!" when the 707 dipped during the initial climb.

It's an effect that's usually experienced in hot and dry climates.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
My scariest airline experience was a JFK - LAX nonstop flight on American Airlines through severe turbulence.
I made what I thought was going to be my final call to my Mother and talked to her for about 25 minutes because I was so terrified. Mother could hear the plane cracking over the phone. The catholics on board were making the sign of the cross and praying, people were throwing up all around me it was the worst flight I've had to date...
You may think it's bad when the Catholics start making the sign of the cross and praying but that's nothing... It's REALLY bad when the NON-Catholics start making the sign of the cross and praying!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Aborted landing coming into Atlanta. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as k374's experience, but the flight had already been delayed out of Miami for a good 12 hours (including one hour sitting on the tarmac). We were landing at 2AM and I could see the beginnings of the airport if I looked forward. We tilted straight back up and did some crazy turns. People were screaming. I have a phobia of flying and it was my first time flying alone (I was 15 or 16) and truly think if I was only 15 or 20 years older, I would have died of a heart attack.

Apparently coming down out of the heavy cloud cover, the pilot noticed another plane on the runway. Whoops... When he came on the intercom 5 minutes later, he was pretty good about trying to calm down nerves.

When we finally did land, we were stuck on the plane for another hour (up to 3AM at this point) because there wasn't a gate for us. Even though it was the middle of the night, it was still Atlanta in July with no air on in the plane. It truly was the flight from hell.
That does sound horrible. Just one more reason i avoid ATL at all costs. That airport is just way to busy and nothing is on time.

G Man

Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,975 times
I was on a flight about a year ago. A non stop from Logan to LAX and some guy blew up the bathroom shortly after they turned the seatbelt sign off. It has obviously been brewing for a while and he even unbuckled and ran back at the first opportunity. I was sitting 2 rows from the back and the aftermath was a dead ringer for a over crowded barn. No amount of spray by the fearless flight attendant did us any good.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or