U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,305,418 times

Advertisements

One time, I was on a flight that had no bourbon. Avgas fumes just aren't quite the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 PM

20,068 posts, read 14,478,274 times
Small aircraft, turbulence-filled, between two cities-absolute terror! LOL.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,372,764 times
"Fun" stuff to read a day before flying.. :P My worst flying experience was a little over three years ago while being pregnant. I was on my first trimester (and extremely nauseous). We hit some pretty bad turbulence flying from SFO to IAD, pretty close to landing. The whole plane was shaking and suddenly dropped (no idea how much but it made everyone on the plane scream). The lady next to me (stranger) was holding my hand, crying and vomiting at the same time. Good times!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 PM

5,104 posts, read 8,086,825 times
I was on a night flight between Japan and the U.S. West Coast about 20 years ago. About an hour into the flight, I was sandwiched between a couple of Thai girls. Everything was relaxing, good converstation, and dinner was being served. The pilot came on over the speakers announcing weather conditions in Los Angeles, our expected time of arrival, the usual announcements. Midway in a sentence, he said, "Uh-oh!" Then silence.

Everyone started looking around at each other trying to figure out what that was all about. What did he mean by "Uh-oh"? I thought I could smell something electrical, but I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or not. Then the Fasten Seatbelts sign came on, and the plane started bouncing hard, like it was running over a rocky road. Flight attendants started moving the food carts out of the way. The plane felt like it was diving a few times. No one knew what was going on, or if the plane was breaking up. This crew silence and the crunching ride went on for probably an hour or so. I wondered why they don't turn around and go back to Japan.

The girl on my right was pale from fear and just as uncertain as I was. She was worried we were going to be killed. I tried to reassure her that everything was going to be alright. I had some photos with me that I took in Thailand, and told her of some of the great theing I had experienced and saw there, which helped relax her. I could speak Thai, which probably also helped a bit. I didn't know what else to do.

After what seemed like an eternity of this bone-crunching ride and odd smells, things started to smooth out. The pilot came back on and said we had hit some turbulence and that we were now flying at a higher (and smoother) altitude.

The flight attendants came back out with the food carts and the rest of the trip was normal. The rest of the flight was fine all the way to L.A. I realize the pilot had his hands full controlling the plane when we hit the turbulence, but having him stop mid-sentence and only say "Uh-oh" was the most nerve-wracking part of the experience because none of the passengers had the slightest idea what that was suppose to mean or what was happening.

I've been on flights since that have hit spots of turbulence, but nothing like that flight.

Strangely, on the connecting flight between L.A. and Portland, Oregon, Oregon was hit by an earthquake while we were in the air. After landing at PDX, I noticed some slight signs of cosmetic damage inside the airport, but nothing too serious. Still, from what other people later told me as well as the news, it was quite a shaker. Precautions were being taken to make sure bridges, buildings and other structures were safe.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 AM

8,343 posts, read 9,826,690 times
As a passenger? None. As a pilot? A few.

I had a guy thought I was insulting him one time while I was a passenger on a pleasure trip. We hit some light turbulence, and this guy next to me started panicking, gripping the armrest, praying.. I couldn't help but laugh! He was making it much worse than it actually was. Talking to him did no good. Problem was that he was panicking the passengers around him also.

Like an earlier poster said, on a normal passenger flight, aircraft are flown much more gently than the plane can actually handle. 30 degree banks, 3 degree descents, etc., to keep the comfort level at a maximum. Anytime this is exceeded, ie given a 'slam dunk' descent clearance by ATC, it is perceived as dangerous, while in truth it's just outside the comfort zone passengers are used to. The plane could handle so much more than most folks would imagine. So relax!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:50 AM

79 posts, read 112,181 times
My worstwas coming back from London to Dulles in a 747 about 23 years ago. I am not sure what happened-wind sheer or pilot error-but we slammed down in the runway very hard. People screamed, oxygen masks dropped from the ceiling, we were slammed forward in our seats. My boyfriend and I were sitting in front of the aTV. As we slammed forward, the TV screen flew up, inches from our face. It was insane. Pilot never said anything.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:14 PM

11,835 posts, read 6,345,636 times
Its a tossup between the plane unexpectedly dropped a few hundred feet (probably more) and experiencing extremely violent turbulence en route to Beijing in 2008 or a flight to NYC on 9/11/15 when the plane seemed to be going up much, much higher than was normal (I thought that something had gone terribly wrong for a few seconds).

Old 06-13-2016, 01:28 PM

306 posts, read 220,327 times
the plane i was on landing in Chicago in February took a major spanking in a storm. We circled around for probably an hour and half before heading to the tarmac. Boy i tell ya I I could have been on a roller coaster you'd never know the difference hot damn we was bouncing round and all you see is clouds, rain, and lightning out the window i was all hail mary but we made it down with only severe bouncing and wigglin it was one heck of a ride brother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or